Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes...

I've gotten a good deal of comments the past couple of weeks about the new look:

Yeah, after a good deal of time with the ol' caterpillar, I went for the clean-shaven route. I had intended to simply trim the cookie-duster, but you know how the expression goes:

"Never trim a bushy mustache when in a hurry with small children underfoot".

What? Never heard that one? It's been a staple in my house since, well, a little mishap with the razor caused a serious imbalance in the force my facial hair.

I've had a mustache since about 1991 or so, shaving it off for a very brief period in early 2007 (when my weight dropped below 200 pounds, I shaved my face clean, no longer needing a beard to hide multiple chins). I quickly brought the 'stache back, as I was fast reminded why I grew it in the first place - I hate shaving under that gargantuan Roman nose (you know why it's a called a Roman nose, right? It's a-roamin' all over my face!).

And then I started thinking about all the various changes that happened in my life. Go back 5 years. I weighed about a hundred pounds more than I do now. I was on medication for high blood pressure. Hadn't started shaving my head yet. Two little kids - an infant and a 3 year old. Go back 10 years. No kids. Brand new house. 75 pounds heavier. Different job. I wasn't even blogging then (five years ago I was Ricky's co-blogger). I was smoking a pack of Marlboro Lights a day. Even drank more than a six pack a year.

An awful lot has changed in just those 5-10 years.

  • Lost weight.
  • Daily exercise.
  • Quit smoking.
  • Had two kids.
  • Moved into a house.
  • New job.
  • Started this blog.

That's a lot of changes right there... Most of them made so that I could serve as a better example for my kids, living the credo that "Lead and they will follow". I didn't want them to see a fat, slovenly couch potato parent and think that it was preferable, or even acceptable. I wanted them to grow up seeing a father who took pride in his appearance, who took care of himself both to be in the best health possible for his kids but also to serve as a good example. I eat my broccoli. I do my push-ups. I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to hit the gym. I do it for them, yes.

But I also do it for me.

Change can be a good thing. But you've got to work for it; you've got to work hard, day in and day out. You can't just sit around and hope that things improve; you've got to take the initiative and do it on your own. No one's going to just wave a magic wand and send in the changey unicorns to make right all what's wrong in your life; you need to make your own decisions, change what you can, and hope that those around you follow your lead.

There's an analogy there; I just can't put my finger on it, though...

That is all.

6 comments:

RW said...

One day a few years back while in the break-room/kitchen a female co-worker saw me washing my blender & asked "I've always wanted to ask why you always drink those protein shakes and eat all that grilled chicken and healthy food? Do you have high blood pressure or some other health issues or do you really like the taste of that stuff?"

Reply: "I do it probably ten to twenty percent because of the health implications & the fact that I want to be able to play in the yard with my grandkids one day, but I ain't gonna lie to you....the other eighty to ninety percent is pure vanity."

Borepatch said...

I felt something this morning, like millions of follicles suddenly cried out in terror, then were suddenly silenced ...

I like the way you put things - doing something because "it sets and example" isn't nothing, but the whole Duty thing is a weight. Often necessary, but a weight nonetheless. Doing it because it's right for you too takes some of the weight off.

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good Jay!

I summed up my whole problem with Obama's campaign of change in a discussion with a coworker. Obama chose "Yes We Can" as a main component of his campaign. The American spirit, in my mind, is far more embodied in "Yes I Can" or "Yes You Can." "Yes We Can" is a slogan of empowerment of the government; the others are slogans of empowerment of individuals...

Jay G said...

RW,

Bingo.

As Ted alludes in the next comment, doing something because "you have to" kinda stinks. Like working when you'd rather be home with the kids.

In the case of working out and eating right, well, I'd be lying, too, if I said that I didn't like seeing the skinny guy in the mirror instead of the fat man...

Ted,

Excellent point. It's hard enough to make yourself do something you really don't want to do. When the only motivation is "because I have to", it moves from a task to a chore to a bore...

Getting a side benefit, like being able to take your shirt off at the beach for the first time in your life without feeling like Beluga, the Beached whale, well, that's a nice little bonus...

Pajamaverse,

Thanks!

(And I was wondering how long it would take the subtle dig to get noticed...) :)

Unknown said...

Now THIS is some change we can believe in!!!

;-)

(Though I did prefer the mustache look.)

dr mac said...

Keep on truck'in bro.