Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #101

Interestingly enough, this one is somewhat numerologically correct... I'm going to offer somewhat of a "rimfire revolver 101" gun pr0n for my good friend New Jovian Thunderbolt, who is pondering which .22LR handgun he should get. He's trying to decide between a revolver and a semi-auto, and I'm advising the revolver. From my comment to his request:

If you don't already own a .22 pistol, start with a revolver. They're less finicky about ammo, there's no magazines to buy (and, for whatever reason, .22LR magazines are unreasonably expensive), and the manual of arms for a revolver is simpler than that of a semi-auto, if you're teaching a noob.

I'm biased. I prefer S&W wheelguns.

However, I found a Colt Official Police .22 trainer for short money (under $250) that shoots *almost* as good as my S&W Model 17.

Don't be tempted by the cheap imitations. You're not going to save much up front, and you'll pay for it down the road for the inferior workmanship.

You're buying a .22 pistol for the long haul here...

Interesting enough, I have four very different .22LR revolvers:

.22LR Wheelguns

Clockwise from upper left:

Smith & Wesson Model 17
Colt Official Police .22LR
North American Arms mini-22LR
H&R Sportsman

The S&W covers the target aspect. The Colt is a training gun for the bygone days of the Colt .38 Special revolver. The H&R is an inexpensive plinker, and the NAA mini-22LR is just for fun. I think it's safe to say I'm a big fan of the rimfire revolver...

And, you know, it's always nice to have options.

So I figure that since T-bolt has a conversion kit for his 1911, he's got a semi-auto already. My advice would be to get a S&W model 617 as a training aid for his 686. He can get the 10 shot model so as to not lose capacity over a semi-auto, and can use whatever the cheapest bulk ammo he can find.

What say you? What should he get? Head on over and add your $0.02...

That is all.

15 comments:

Bunnyman said...

A collection like that almost makes cheap bulk .22 a bad thing. I'd never want to leave the range...

agg79 said...

Excellent suggestions. I need to acquire one (I like the S&W) for practice and to ease momma into the field. Besides, .22 seems to be the only ammo left on the shelf at wallyworld.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a nice 22LR revolver for some time. The only ones available locally have been H&R junker pieces, and >$500 S&W new ones. One day I will see a used Smith in a display of used handguns and it will be mine. All I have to do is get to the gun store <30sec after one is put out, according to the guy behind the counter.

Jay G said...

Bunnyman,

My gun club has a small indoor range that's lead-only (angled steel backstop). I've spent many an hour there with the Smith, slowly working on my double-action revolver skills.

Time well spent, and with the .22LR even at today's prices, quite inexpensive...

agg79,

If I didn't own a .22 revolver and I were going to go out and buy one off the shelf, it'd be a 4" barrel S&W model 617 with the 10 round cylinder. You have the same capacity as an autoloader (because, really, who tops off a .22LR?) without the ammo selectivity.

Unfortunately there just aren't any bargains in the .22LR world these days... It is money well-spent, though.

Mikee,

I won't tell you what I paid for that Smith, then... Suffice to say, had I dropped another two bills on it, it'd still be reasonable.

And the NAA mini-22LR happened exactly as you described - I happened to be in the gun shop as they were putting it in the case. Literally the second it hit the velvet tray, I had my credit card out...

TOTWTYTR said...

Among my collection of .22s is a Model 18 and a Model 34. Both are suitable training analogs for their .38 Spcl bigger siblings.

Xavier over at his blog says that the S&W double action revolvers are the best .22 handguns to train on. His reasoning is that once you can tame the very demanding double action trigger on the S&Ws, you can control any trigger and your shooting will improve.

There's a lot to be said for that.

Yes Jay, I'll bring them both to the shoot.

And lots of plated ammo because lead clogs the crap out of the barrels.

Home on the Range said...

The only .22 I have is the Ruger 22/45,which shares similar characteristics with the 1911 .45 caliber model handgun. This makes it attractive for set up and practice when.45 ACP is hard to find or just financially depressing to shoot much of.

It was inexpensive and a good target plinking gun. But it's an absolutely &#*@( to field strip it and get it back together. One the plus side, it has never misfired except when I got stingy with lube one tired day.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Yeah, I've pretty much decided. 6" 617. The cheap .22 revlver is a bit of a myth. At least a cheap one you'd actually want.

I'll start saving my pennies.

zeeke42 said...

When I have the money to buy guns again, a 4" 10-shot 617 is on the short list.

I have a Ruger Mk3, but I put a red dot on it, so I'm looking for another 22 for iron sight practice. I don't see a reason to buy another semi-auto when I already have the best value(IMO). Also, I think Xavier's point is quite true.

Sigboy said...

I only own one 22 revolver. A Colt Buntline in 22lr. Amazingly enough the blue book price, and my part with price do not match, as a matter of fact one is missing a comma. I love the reliability and accuracy of a 22lr revolver. And as an added bonus mine is older than me, it's even older than Jay!

Bruce said...

So, it's "Friday Gun Pr0n #101" and you didn't go out and by a Ruger SP-101 to commemorate the occasion?

Jay G said...

Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind...

Although... I *am* turning 38 next month. I think I might buy an LCR to celebrate. Should be MA compliant...

Andrew C said...

Arg, I want a 617 4" so bad. I'm still working on the trigger pull on my 686 4", but having almost the exact same gun in .22 would let me practice a lot more.

Anonymous said...

"the NAA mini-22LR is just for fun"

There is nothing fun about shooting a NAA mini, except maybe calling it your Dirty Harry gun when showing your buddies.

Though maybe if I had the holster grip like you do it might move it up a notch or 2 from it's current "OMG I *hate* shooting this thing!" position.

Anonymous said...

See, now you're making me feel bad.

I have no .22 pistol in my safe.

It is, however, the next on my list.

Probably a 22/45, if only because the S&Ws are ridiculously expensive... if I could find a used 617 for a fair price, I'd be all over it. I was drooling - literally drooling - at the 351PD snub at the shop last week. 8-shot .22mag in an AirLite Frame ... oh dear me.

Yes, I know, my pistol acquisitions were all out of order.

First: 1911. Bought it before I had my pistol permit, because a 1911 just screams to me, "this is a Real Gun!"

Second: S&W 28-2 .357. Wanted a gun I could take deer hunting along with my shotgun. Found it at my dealer for a good price, it's had an action job and has what is, without doubt, the nicest trigger I've ever used in a wheelgun.

Third: S&W 21-4 .44Spl "New Classic"... traded my AKlone for it. Should waited five more months, I could've gotten a lot more for the AK. Hell of a nice revolver though, especially with the combat grips I put on it.

Fourth: Bersa Thunder .380, as a carry gun.

Next pretty much has to be a .22 if I intend to keep shooting!

Anonymous said...

I've always found the H&R .22's to be one the best, if not the best value, on the market for a nice shooting .22. Especially the 929 series.