Thursday, March 19, 2009

UnSuitable...

BabyGirl G. just started "Daisy Troops", the junior league for girl scouts. Their big spring event is the "Father/Daughter Dance", which is coming up in two weeks. It's absolutely HUGE, with many of the girls getting their hair done, manicures, etc., all for a night of dancing with their daddies. It's extremely cute, and I can't wait for my turn this year.

Except I just realized something: I no longer own a suit that fits me...

I went into the closet where we had stored the suits and such (I don't wear suits very often if I can avoid it at all; often getting away with a sportcoat and Dockers). The smallest suit I have is a size 46 jacket and 36 pants. I put it on and looked like David Byrne of the Talking Heads. "Same as it... ever was".

And then I had another realization: I don't have to shop in the "Fat Bastard" men's clothing stores for suits any more. I can shop off the shelf! I'm so excited I can barely contain myself... I can walk into Macy's, or Filene's Basement, or... Hey. Where the hell do I get a good suit these days? I started thinking about it, and I'll need something I can wear to a funeral as well as a Baptism and my son's First Communion. I'm going to have to get something a step up from my usual cut of bottom-of-the-line economy suits...

It's a welcome change, I have to say, buying a new suit because the old one is too big, rather than the reverse...

That is all.

14 comments:

JD said...

Hey, try Men's Warehouse if there is one near you, they did good for me and my WWF suit a few years back. . .

(WWF - Weddings, Wakes and Funerals)

Anonymous said...

Men's Warehouse
Joseph A. Bank

BobG said...

You must have a light frame; when I was in fighting trim without any excess fat I wore a size 52 coat just to fit my shoulders.

Anonymous said...

Hell, that'd barely fit ME!

And I had a blast at my daughter's Daisy Dance. You will too. All the fathers just stand around while the little girls dance ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice! Spending money can hurt, but when you're spending it on smaller clothes it feels pretty frickin' good.

doubletrouble said...

Another one for the Men's Whorehouse, err, Warehouse.

Perfect man shopping:

Walk in, say "I need suit".
Guy asks questions, & gives you suit.
You put on, they draw all over it, & you take it off & go home.
Later, pick up new suit, & it actually fits.
Done.
AND, free alterations should you, ahem, need them...

Borepatch said...

Bravo Zulu, sir. Bravo Zulu.

What a great problem to have.

PeterT said...

As an aside, Men's Warehouse doesn't freak when you want to be fitted with your ccw piece....

PeterT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hunter said...

Suggestions:

1. Dark gray suit, black accoutrements (lace up shoes, belt)

or

2. Dark blue suit, small pinstripes (black, etc.)

Single breasted, two, maybe three button, no vest

The guy at the shop will be able to advise on shirt collar styles. If you are not going to wear the suit all that often, go ahead and splurge on french cuffs (cuff links). It will make the occasion all the more special.

And with all this advice, I have found that I wear my one suit maybe twice a year. And for more formal occasions I wear my kilt in Davidson tartan with a Prince Charlie jacket. Except for weddings. It is rude to out peacock the bride.

Hunter
Ketchikan, AK
(Where we go to weddings where even the couple wear rubber boots)

Anonymous said...

Another vote for Men's Warehouse.

Strange, but I find myself needing a TUX more often than a suit. Something about being an officer in a Masonic Lodge - Degree work and visits by Grand Lodge officers call for tuxes. So I have a tux, but not a suit...

My life is a tad weird, I guess.

Jay G said...

Happily, there's a Men's Wearhouse at the local shopping mall (Rockingham in Salem, NH).

Will go there this weekend.

What's even better is they start around $200. While I totally understand that you get what you pay for, given the frequency with which I need a suit, I don't want to drop a lot of money...

And yes, I will get a dark suit - it will be the "WWF" for me as well (thanks JD!).

Don't see a lot of weddings coming up, but can foresee the rest... :(

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!

Jack'o'all Trades said...

SYM's good selection, excellent service and even better prices than Men's Warehouse...

Rt 1 in Danvers? I think...

Weer'd Beard said...

Another fan of Men's Warehouse.

(Damn you Doubletrouble for beating me to the "whorehouse" sub!!!)