Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Time in a Bottle

There's a dance on Friday night. I'm getting dressed to the nines and dusting off the ol' moves so I can impress my date. You see, I'm bringing a new partner to this dance, a brown-eyed beauty with long, dark hair, an infectious laugh, and a merry soul. The funny part is that my wife doesn't mind me spending the night with a younger woman; in fact, she's encouraging it, going so far as to hem my new suit so I look my best for the occasion.

In case you hadn't figured it out, I'm talking about the Father/Daughter Dance for Girl Scouts...

I really did go out and buy a new suit for this dance, a purchase I hinted at a while back. I've gone without a suit that fits for a couple years now, but never had the inclination nor need for one. Until now, that is... I'm looking forward to a special night with Daddy's Little Princess; I'm certain she'll spend most of the night playing with her friends while I make small talk with the other dads (oh joy, more blather about sports...). But for a few magical moments, it will be just her and I, father and daughter, alone on the dance floor.

Too few years will pass before I again will join her on the dance floor; dancing with my little girl on her wedding day. The kids are growing up so fast; it seems like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital, a happy little baby with a rambunctious older brother. Well, that little baby is now in elementary school, finishing up kindergarten and getting ready to turn six. I'll blink again and she'll be pushing for her own cellphone. Again, and she'll want to go out with her friends. Then the inevitable first date, and having to put the fear of Jay G. into some hornball teenaged boy. (okay, I'm looking forward to that part...).

But for now, on Friday, it will be me and BabyGirl G on that dance floor; a little girl and her daddy. I'll gladly put on the suit and endure all the small chit-chat in the world for the chance to take a moment out of our hectic lives and just enjoy my daughter's company. For a couple hours, the world can be on hold while I dance with my little princess.

I just hope they don't expect me to dance the Macarena...

That is all.

7 comments:

breda said...

God, I hope someone gets video.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jay, the Macarena is SOO fifteen years ago! I think you're probably safe from it.

If you want to bring on the old-school-cool, bust out the Electric Slide!

...


On second thought, isn't this you? Back left corner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD4lvTEwIkc

:-D

Diane said...

Be sure to get her flowers, or at least a single flower she can pin on her dress - will earn you good Daddy points for a very long time!

Lissa said...

Awww! I was going to say the same, Diane -- Jay G, don't forget a delicate little wrist corsage!

Borepatch said...

Mrs. Borepatch says "Aww", too.

;-)

RW said...

Mine's 11 & has her own cell phone & nearing "young lady" land, but I can tell you without hesitation: it gets better every freaking day.

Jay G said...

Breda,

There will be video, I'm sure. I'll be bringing our camera, and I'm sure I can find one other parent there to take a quick video.

At the very least there will be lots of pictures. Expect a montage on Saturday... *g*

zercool,

I'm old, but not that old!

Diane,

Actually, the corsage is included in the admission - the older Girl Scouts make them for the younger girls.

Thanks Lissa and Mrs. Borepatch!

RW,

That's good to know. There are days where I am definitely "dumb ol' dad". And others where I get "I love you daddy!" completely out of the blue.

I live for those days...