Friday, May 22, 2009

Apprehensive...

Breda has had very bad luck with the TSA. Christina has had a bad experience with this same alphabet agency. Joe Huffman (who I really need to add to the blogroll, note to self) has an entire category devoted to their shenanigans. There are thousands of stories out there, very few of them good, about people's experience with the "security" measures currently in place in our airports. The overwhelming feeling is that the policies do little more than pester and annoy the law-abiding (gee, sounds like gun control...)

I'm rather worried about my upcoming cattle drive FLA vacation. I'll be flying for the first time since 9/11, and I'll have my family with me (side note: I'm actually less concerned about the plane crashing because we're all together. In a weird, sick way, at least if something happens my kids won't grow up without a dad. Stupid, yes, but welcome to my neuroses...) I'll be trying to herd two very excited children through the labyrinth of Logan Airport to get them on the plane that's going to take them to Disney World. They'll be a little, err, rambunctious...

And add to this stress that I'll be getting into a big metal tube that by all rights has no business being on a public roadway, let alone the skies, and it's going to be hurtling through the air at 9,000 miles an hour and the speed of gravity is 9.8 meters/second2 and bird strikes and swine flu and waterboarding and-

Okay, it's obvious I need a prescription for something...

In any case, we're leaving two weeks from tomorrow. Planning's getting tight; we're running out the clock on having time to plan and/or order things for the trip. Add in the 14,000 things we need to do to get ready to fly, things we need to bring with us, etc. and it's adding up to a big headache. But all I need to do is ask the kids where we're going to be in two weeks and hear "DISNEY WORLD" at the top of their little lungs to know it's all worth it...

That is all.

10 comments:

the pistolero said...

I flew twice last year, packed my clothes, laptop, iPod & cell phone and nothing else, and I didn't have any problems. I just did what the security screeners told me to, which was basically to empty my pockets, walk through the metal detector and put my suitcase on the rollers through the x-ray machine.

Christina RN LMT said...

No worries, Jay. I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake. Traveling with kids is always a piece of cake...*snerk*, no I can't say that with a straight face!
Focus on the logistics, and everything else will fall into place. Basically, don't borrow trouble, 'k?
You already know what's important: DISNEY WORLD! The rest is just minor inconvenience.

Peripatetic Engineer said...

Don't feel bad. Some gobelin with the same name as me has managed to get me put on the "no fly" list. Of course, I'm not on the list - my name is. But every time I fly (and I have to do it a lot), i have to prove that I'm me and not him. This means I can't use kiosks to check in, can't use the curbside baggage, and if someone is travelling with me, they are also denied. I have to go to the counter. And it gets rally funny when an agent starts to tell me to go to a kiosk and I say, "but you don't understand, I can't!". They then start to get pissy until I scream, "I'm on the no fly list you idiot!"

I have also scared cute little asian girls who see something ominous pop up on their computer screen when I check in. They get a funny look and then back away from me, all the while bowing, saying, "excuse me, sir".

Just remember, it's not the destination but the journey. Bon journee.

Jay G said...

pistolero,

Thanks. Our plan currently is to check four bags and carry four bags. We already had a rude awakening - our "big" bag would cost us an extra $75 (!!!).

Needless to say, it's staying home.

Mrs. G. is going to carry a backpack with extra clothes for all and snacks for the plane ride. The kids will have backpacks with toys.

I'm going to carry all of the electronic devices we want to bring on the plane (cell phones, netbook, cameras, etc.). Since I look like a terrorist, I plan on getting pulled out of line for the full monty anyways...

Christina,

Yeah, exactly. Not just two kids, but two little kids who are bouncing off the walls because ZOMG WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!1111

I think Daddy needs valium...

PE,

I *think* I'm all set there, because Dad G. and I have the same name, and he's flown recently without incident.

I hope...

the pistolero said...

I carried all mine on (suitcase & laptop bag) and just stowed it in the overhead compartment. No worries whatsoever, even if it WAS just "security theater." YMMV, and quite often does. I don't know what I'd have done had I been subjected to Breda's ordeal.

wolfwalker said...

I confess to sometimes feeling some sympathy for TSA security people. Yes, I've heard all the cruel, vicious jokes. In a few cases I've repeated them. Yes, in many cases the cruel jokes and the horror stories are accurate. But in many more cases, they aren't. TSA people suffer from the same problem as customer service people the world over: no one ever remembers their good experiences with customer service.

In my case, I know that the handful of times I've had trouble with TSA, it's been MOSF: My Own Stupid Fault. The sadistic creeps who give you a hard time just for the fun of it seem to be few and far between in my humble experience.

Remember, something like half a million people pass through US airports every day, and most of them do not have any trouble with security. Remember also that security has two mutually contradictory jobs: 1) detect threats and 2) keep the line moving. Considering how many foolish, cantankerous, moody, handicapped, and just plain stupid people they must see every day, the fact that they do as well as they do is quite impressive.

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,
Rather than valium, I suggest Xanax. Takes the edge off without making you drowsy, and leaves no hangover. Not that I have an direct experience with either med, mind you. No siree, bub. Not me.

One thing about flying -- STAY HYDRATED. Ambient humitidy inside a modern jetline rivals that of Phoenix, AZ. You will be PARCHED by the time you land in FL.

Have a good weekend

- Brad

bill said...

Don't sweat the flight Jay. Just remember to get to the airport plenty early (With two kids in two I'd suggest 2 hours before the flight leaves) and make sure you have as little as possible in the way of carry-on stuff with you.

I've had some minor issues with TSA that I won't go into on a public forum, but nothing earth shattering.

Peripatetic Engineer said...

I have a plan to use my concealed carry license for a picture ID the next time I fly and see what happens. Stand by for news.

Stretch said...

Done the House of Mouse a number of times. Unsolicited advise offered but need not heeded.
Yankees need SPF-gazillion sun block. Children should be treated often and after every water ride. Long sleeve shirts and brimmed hats are a good idea.
Coolest rides (temperature wise) are Pirates of the Caribbean and It’s A Small World (I first rode on IASW at the NY World’s Fair in 1964). Frontier Land has a flume ride for a good soaking.
Do NOT ride Space Mountain after a meal. Ditto the Tea Cups.
Many shops will have your large purchases sent to main exit for pick up. Mrs. G. will love you for suggesting it.
What ever they charge for strollers is worth it. Heat and humidity will drain the kids (and adults) and it’s a loooonnnggg walk back to the exit.
Take extra chips and batteries for camera, you’ll be sharing the memories for years to come.
ENJOY!!