Friday, May 1, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #109

Today's gun pic is another in a series of pics I've dubbed "Gear pics." (first "Gear pic here with the S&W Model 38). These are the firearms that I carry, along with the various and sundry gear that goes with them. Today's gun is my only big bore carry gun as well as my only "high capacity" sidearm.

Glock 30 & gear


G30 in the goblin-stopping .45 ACP caliber. It's a sub-compact model, meaning that it's ostensibly small enough for concealed carry; however, this is a gun that really requires a cover garment for optimal concealment. The Crossbreed Supertuck kydex and leather holster really helps conceal the G30, in that it can be used either as an IWB holster or (as the name implies) as a tuckable holster, where a shirt can be tucked in over the holster and sidearm. It takes some practice, but drawing from even deep cover is simple and unhindered.

There's a spare 13-round magazine (yes, it's a pre-ban) with a +2 Pierce grip extender as the spare, yielding a total of 24 rounds of .45 ACP. This magazine is designed for the full-sized Glock 21; however in their infinite wisdom the folks at Glock design the subcompact models to accept magazines for the corresponding caliber in full size. The G21 magazines will fit in the G30 for .45 ACP; the sub-compact G26 in 9mm will accept 15 round G19 (compact) or 17 round G17 (full-size) magazines. Very elegant.

There's also my engraved "GOAL/NES" Buck knife for edged goodness and a cheap flashlight for excursions after the sun goes down. I don't make a habit of carrying extra boxes of ammo; those are mainly for propping and "ooh, shiny" purposes. It's a bit of gear to lug around, especially considering that car keys, cell phone, wallet, etc. also have to fit into the program as well (I need a neato keen utiluty belt like Caleb...)

So there's one of my plastic fantastic carry guns - tune in next time for #2!

That is all.

4 comments:

agg79 said...

Nice hardware.
I've been debating getting a 21 or 22 but had not considered the compact versions. What is your opinion over full sized verses compact?

Carteach said...

I've been carrying a plastic M+P for some years now. It's a love/doubt thing.... most days I love it, especially at the range where it just shines. Other days, I have doubts about dependability due to occasional quirks.

The thing is.... guns is mechanical creatures, and every single one ever made is subject to failure some day, in some way.

I'll keep hunting though, for the perfect one. Maybe I'll try a Glock for a while..... (g).

Jay G said...

agg79,

Realistically, I can't see any significant difference between the full size and the subcompact as far as shootability goes.

The weight difference is only something like 4-5 ounces, so perceived recoil really isn't going to change much.

Barrel length is only another 1-1.5" longer - it's not like you're talking about the difference between a 1 7/8" snubbie and an 8 3/8" target revolver.

The biggest difference is the grip - the subcompacts only allow for a two-finger hold (like a J-frame) whereas it's all three fingers on a full-size. This can be overcome somewhat by the extensions, although it starts defeating the purpose of the smaller grip.

Wow. This could be a whole post unto itself... :)

Carteach0,

I really can't say enough good things about my G30. I had always *HATED* Glocks - the stupid finger safety, the "pull the trigger to decock for cleaning" step, etc. Even after getting two polymer framed, DAO S&Ws, I still couldn't warm up to Glocks.

And then this one pretty much fell into my lap - being that this is the Volksrepublik of MA, we have not only the "Approved Firearms Roster" {spit} for handguns (which, BTW, Glocks are on), we also have a nebulous "AG's list" that is the final arbiter of what can and cannot be sold by a dealer.

It's not a *criminal* infraction, it's a civil one - this means that it's not a law that can be challenged in court but a "consumer protection measure" that involves a $5,000 fine PER GUN SOLD if a dealer sells a gun that is not "approved" by the AG for sale.

It sucks, and I hate this state with a blinding white hot rage.

What it all boils down to is that certain guns - particularly the subcompact Glocks - sell for significantly higher in MA than they do elsewhere simply because of availability; it's that pesky ol' supply and demand again.

It's not uncommon to see well-used G26s and G27s selling for ~ $700-$800, even though they sell for several hundred dollars less new in the USofA.

So, when this G30 (which is one of the rarer models) came up for sale at a very reasonable price, I grabbed it. I figured that I could turn it around and make $200+ on it just by being the first guy with cash (and the guy selling it lives in my town!).

But a funny thing happened. I took it to the range and shot it. And it shoots nice. I shoot it at least as well as the compact S&W SW99 that had been my "cold weather carry gun" (i.e. when cover garments are appropriate).

And 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP trumps 10+1 rounds of 9mm any day of the week as far as I'm concerned... That and there are FAR more "pre-ban" magazines available, and at a better price (the P99 came out in early 1994, so there are a small handful of factory pre-ban 16 rounders available. They typically sell for $75 - $100...)

Give it a try. You might be surprised...

Unknown said...

I just picked up a CrossBreed Super Tuck at our Friends of the NRA dinner last night.