Friday, May 29, 2009

New Blogs and a Shout-Out...

A couple new blogs to add to the blogroll, found through my obsessive usual perusal of Sitemeter stats:

1. Bigger Piece of Sky. This is a brandy-new blog from Keith, who gives us this intro in his first post: "So today I decided I'd start a blog. I'm not real sure how to go about getting started, so we'll go with this. It's a a tale of me and my brother, and ought to introduce things as well as anything." Sounds great!

2. Wilson Blog. At first I thought the volleyball from Castaway had started a blog, but then I realized it was another gunnie (with a fondness for S&W model 27s - good man!). He describes his blog thusly: "Guns, vintage pop culture and anything else that interests me. Why? Just because I like to hear myself talk, that's why!" I appreciate the candor...

Welcome aboard, folks!

The standard disclaimer applies - if you link MArooned and are not represented on the blogroll to the right, please let me know either via e-mail (in profile), comments to any post (I love comments!), Facebook, or gchat (can be reached via jayg71@gmail.com). Let me know so I can return the linky-love!


And here's the Shout-Out.

One of my new shooters - Dwight - is all growed up, shootie-wise. He's got his arsenal assembled and has thrown himself headlong into Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS). He's working a big event next weekend for the Harvard Ghost Riders at Harvard Sportsman's Club (home of the Northeast Bloggershoot for AD where I picked up the "minute-of-berm" designation...)

Here's his description of the event:
There are supposed to be over a hundred entries. There will also be vendors of various kinds.

If anyone would like to see a hundred or so movie cowboys and cowgirls wandering around and shooting this would be an excellent opportunity.

As to the shooting - the fast guys can do 5 revolver, 5 revolver, 10 rifle and 6 shotgun in maybe 25 seconds.

Naturally, this is next weekend, when I'll be on a plane to FLA. Go figure... If you're in the central MA area next weekend and/or would like to see an amaaaazing display of Cowboy Action Shooting, hie thee hence to the event!

That is all.

9 comments:

Michael in CT said...

Yup, the event at Harvard will be the annual Tri-State match (MA, RI & CT state championship) and at last count we had about 160 shooters. Feel free to come up and watch, just bring eyeglasses. It's always a good time and we are all real friendly, so if you have any questions go ahead and ask

Borepatch said...

Jay, point of clarification: is this tomorrow, or a week from tomorrow?

Unknown said...

A week from tomorrow, June 6 & 7

Jay G said...

Sadly, Michael, I will be unable to attend. I will be winging my way to sunny FLA to spend beaucoup bucks to worship a rat... ;)

Hope the event exceeds all expectations!

wolfwalker said...

And if you want to see something a bit more ... ahem ... dynamic than guys standing still shooting at targets that don't move :-), come up to the 4H Youth Center in New Boston this Sunday (5/31) to watch the NH Cowboy Mounted Shooters in action.

Unknown said...

I've got to learn how to shoot on my own two feet first.
Then I've got to convince Sunny that blasting balloons would be a fun thing.

Michael in CT said...

The match is June 5-7. Friday is side match day, Saturday we shoot 6stages, Sunday we shot 4 stages, Top 16 shootoff and the awards ceremony. It is always a good event as long as the weather cooperates. I'll be the 40ish, overweight one shooting cap & ball and a 30" hammered double. Harvard has been having this the first weekend of June every year since 2003. And if everybody thinks regular shooting is expensive, you haven't looked at the cost of Mounted Cowboy Shooting :)

Unknown said...

Mounted shooting cost depends on how you count the horsekeeping. If you already have the horse(s) and associated stuff then it can't be too much more than just CAS.

Michael in CT said...

If you have the horse and the associated things: trailer, vehicle to tow the trailer, much of the horse "stuff" then Mounted will probably be less, since you only need 2 guns and holsters intead of 4 guns, holsters, a shotgun belt and a gun cart (to carry all the crap around in). Another saddle may not be needed if the horseman already has a western saddle. Ugh, it gets depressing when I think how much money I have dropped into Cowboy shooting. It is NOT a cheap sport, but it is fun.