Sunday, May 31, 2009

Random Thoughts...

Some random thoughts from my crazy day yesterday...
  • At the birthday party I brought TheBoy to yesterday, I got to talking with a couple of the dads. Turns out they're both hunters and gun owners. May have some new range buddies and/or possible hunting guides...

  • We bought TheBoy his own aluminum bat for baseball last weekend, and he used it in his game today for the first time ever. Four at-bats, only six pitches total. The first two at-bats he hit the ball on the first pitch - the second shot actually flew over the pitcher's head!

  • Just because I mentioned having the same coffeemaker for about 10 years, it up and died on me Friday morning. All weekend long I've been looking for a replacement. You can get just about any freakin' cappuccino maker, Keurig dispenser, or whole bean grinder and coffeemaker you want. You just can't find a simple coffeemaker with timer...

  • Between the two baseball games, Cub Scout pack meeting, and the birthday (pool) party, I was outdoors all day yesterday. Naturally, I didn't use any sunscreen, and managed to bake my noggin pretty thoroughly. Gotta remember lots of sunscreen even for me in FLA...

  • Also in the realm of really bad timing, the wife's car threw another ball joint yesterday. Between the crunch to get things done before vacation and needing to drive all over hell and creation, having a car out of commission really fucking sucks right now...

  • With the Disney trip coming up, it looks like the next chance I'll get to go to the range will be Father's Day. I think I'm going to bring TheBoy with me. That'd make a good Father's Day present...

That is all...

10 comments:

Alan said...

Wear a hat at mouseland. I'm not normally a hat guy, but on advice from others I took a wide brim hat with me and it saved my head.

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

Alan is spot-on. Either lots of #70 sunblock on the ol' melon, or a broad-brim hat. And don't forget the sunblock for your kids. Nothing spoils a vacation faster than being burnt up like a crispy critter.

As for the gets, get them to call you & Mrs.G by names other than Mom & Dad. When my wife & I took our own progeny to The Holy Land of the Four Foot Tall Rat, you'd hear some kid yell out "Mom" and four hundred heads would spin around. A unique & alternate name changes everything. Instantly.

- Brad

Borepatch said...

Another advantage of a hat like Alan suggests is it will keep you cooler. It'll be hothothot in FLA.

And check out Wally World for coffee pots.

TOTWTYTR said...

I haven't been in Florida for a few years, but it's probably still hot as hell, so a hat is a good idea. As is sun block. Oh, and sun glasses too.

Walmart has a large assortment of Mr. Coffee makers, several with timers.

Here's a free, bonus, coffee pot cleaning tip. When you want to get that residue scum out of the bottom of the pot, put in a little salt instead of soap. It's mildly abrasive, dissolves when done, and doesn't leave soapy residue behind.

Just call me Sue Ann Nivens! :)

TOTWTYTR said...

That Borepatch guy is wicked smaht!

ZerCool said...

Walmart or Target for the nectar dispenser.

That's my sage advice. Even maybe upgrade, and get one with the thermal carafe. No more charred coffee!

Anonymous said...

Bed Bath and Beyond has a large selection, too, and fairly reasonably priced. They've got plain Mr. Coffees and Brauns and Krupps (the traditional style or the ones with the thermal carafes).

ASM826 said...

Braun.

I'm just sayin'...

Rob said...

For the cheap coffee maker with the timer (I understand..) Walmart or Target or some other discount place. You just want it to turn on and have coffee waiting for you when you come out right?
Ball joints don't just "go" unless it's a problem with that 'type' of car (the Dodge Durango comes to mind), they go bad over time. Find a good front end shop (or do it yourself) and take a look at it all. Get it fixed and spend the cash on the alignment just once.

TheUnpaidBill said...

I started wearing a hat 2 summers ago when I got thoroughly sick of sunburning my scalp (I have a similar lack of hair cut to you and Ted.) I HIGHLY recommend anything by Tilley Endurables. I have one of their summer hats and one of their winter hats, and I love them both. They're pricey, but totally worth it IMO.