Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Requiescat in Pace, Dom

Dom Deluise won't be down for breakfast.

Growing up as a child of the 1970s, with movies like Cannonball Run and The Muppet Movie, I developed an appreciation for the heavyset actor with the sparkling eyes. As I grew older and became a fan of Mel Brooks' films, I saw that Dom's comedic chops extended beyond pratfalls and toilet humor. Plus, I spent a good chunk of my adult life looking like Dom Deluise, so his passing is especially poignant for me.

Captain Chaos, we hardly knew ye.

That is all.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to watch History of the World as a tribute. He was awesome.

TREASURE BATH!!!

Brad_in_MA said...

Ah, Captain Chaos . . . I forgot all about HIM - Brad

Paul in Texas said...

I always liked DD, a LOT.

He was a great comedian, especially with the slapstick stuff, and you knew that he wanted to do the best job possible entertaining YOU.

I loved his roles in Fatso and as the Roman Emporer in HOTW, Part I (and I'm still waiting for Part II, Mel - how about it???).

RIP, Dom, and my sincerest condolences to your family.

Hunter said...

Anyone remember the Johnny Carson "Tonight" show with DD, Bert Reynolds, and...wait for it...Robin Williams?
I still think that episode was the funniest fifteen minutes I've ever seen. Williams goes on a tear, and the other three are crying laughing. I thought DD was going to require a medic to get him off the couch.
RIP Dom

Wally said...

HOTW.... One of the greatest movies ever. Dom was great. Also loved Bea Arthur as the unemployment clerk. "Oh, so you're a bull$4!t artist"

Another funnyman waiting for us!

Anonymous said...

And his stock comeback to cheering crowds (as Domenic the Great): "No applause, pleasa save it for the end...."

Jay G said...

Good catch.

[clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]