Thursday, May 7, 2009

T-minus 30...

Just realized that we are exactly 30 days away from our fantabulous Disney vacation. I would have thought it was sooner, given that the kids are (almost literally) bouncing off the walls in anticipation of the trip. They're excited about flying (not me!); they're excited about missing school; they're excited about pretty much every aspect of going to Disney world. The hard part, as a parent, is striking the balance between harnessing that excitement ("Okay guys, before we leave for Disney we need to get this house picked up!") and not feeding into it any more than necessary.

We've got all the meals booked, which by necessity means we've got our daily trips planned. Two days in Magic Kingdom, two days at Epcot, and one day each at Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom. Each night we have a dinner booked at one of the major resorts (including a Princess character dinner for BabyGirl G., natch), so we've got our daily itinerary all planned out for the six days we'll be in the parks.

Now, for those in the Orlando area (Robb, Greg, etc.) who might be interested in getting together... We have nothing booked the night of Saturday, June 6th. We won't have a car, so we'll be limited pretty much to Main Street Disney; don't know if that will make much of a difference. I'm guessing that, being from the area, it doesn't hold a lot of fascination, but still. If we can swing it, I'm always up for adding more names to the list of "Bloggers I've Met"...

Thirty days until we're in the land of the Mouse - I can't wait!

That is all.

13 comments:

The Big Guy said...

Crap.
I'll be traveling that week.
Jax is just 2 hrs up the pike...

- But if the Celtics make the Finals I'll be in your neck of the woods...

TBG
(Another Jay)

Rick in NY said...

Jay, next time, check out the Disney Cruise. Wife and I spent a week there with our kids, it was awesome. The only thing the boat doesn't have vs. the parks are the crowds and the rides. You sure as heck won't be bored. Well worth looking into, to the point that we're planning another one after my wife finishes college (again). She's going back to get her RN degree.

Anyways, enjoy yourself!

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

Two years ago when My Darling Charming Wife and I took My Progeny to Disney, it was five days of sheer joy for the youngin'. Your kids will surely have a blast . . . and no, you may not call me Shirley. [/Leslie Nielsen]

In the realm of T-minus . . . today I am T-minus 35 days until Dr. RedSox cuts into my knee to fix the two blown ligaments.

- Brad

Robb Allen said...

Totally stoked!

Can't wait. I've already blocked off my calendar!

JD said...

You also have Down Town Disny where you could meet folks. Great place to shop and eat. I love the irish pub Raglin Roads I think it was called. . . they also have a few other options. Check it out.

JD said...

any you can get a Disney bus to Down Town from the hotel. . . makes it easy to get home after. . .

SpeakerTweaker said...

Man, are you gonna have the time of your life. And the Kiddies G. are the perfect age, too. They are never going to forget this.

Take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures. You're gonna want to remember every waking moment.



tweaker

Jay G said...

TBG (another Jay!),

Cool! Let me know if you make it - I'll see if I can clear some time.

Rick,

One small problem with that: Mrs. G. gets seasick... :)

Brad,

We ought to get together over Memorial Day weekend to fling lead, then. You know, just in case... ;)

Robb,

Excellent! You had mentioned reminding you, so...

(err... You *are* going to wear pants, I hope...) :)

JD,

Downtown Disney! That's actually what I meant when I put "Main Street"...

Considering that the last time I was at Disney I was TWELVE, I can be forgiven a minor faux pas...

Tweaker,

I'm actually thinking of getting a netbook a la Eee that I can bring with me so that I can live-blog the day's events as they happen...

Hunter said...

That close, thirty minutes, don't you think a side trip to the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral was in order? I just visited two months ago and am still in space geek nirvana.
Debi went to Disney with her sister-in-law, I went to "The Cape".
Just think of a photo of the little G's standing under the exhaust cones of the mighty Saturn V on display.
Enjoy the trip to the Mousie Kingdom.
The Cape next time.

Bob said...

Jay, I don't know if you're a knife aficionado, but if you are, you owe it to yourself to visit the Randall Knives shop and museum while you are in Orlando.

Rick in NY said...

Seasick, oh no! Actually, them big boats don't move much. Worst time we had was our first evening on the boat, had dinner at the resturant alllll the waayyyyy at the stern. You could feel it moving a little, barely enough to rock your drink back and forth in your glass. Found out we were hitting 8-10 FOOT swells right then, worst weather we had for the whole cruise. Might be worth a try. BTW, the Disney boats are 800+ feet long, and if you get a cabing midships, you won't even notice. Seriously, driving NY roads is rougher than the cruise was.

Have a good time down there!

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,
Will the missus consider a transderm scope patch? Might be enough to subdue that inner-ear imbalance.

OT -- WRT holiday weekend, check your email.

- Brad

jumblerant said...

Jay - great to hear you are going on holiday - you deserve it! I assume there will be live blogging and video updates each evening...

Went to Disney with Wifey in April 08 and loved it. Just the 2 of us. We're already planning our first Disney cruise with No.1 Son - he is all of 10 weeks old. Just shows how much we love Disney and Cruises!! (don't worry about seasickness I get it too and those boats are so big I didn't feel a thing)