Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Weighty Issue

Jim over at Ambulances, Boomsticks, Coffee asked me a seemingly simple question the other day:

Can you recommend a weight lifting routine for at home. I have a set of weights for up to 40lb on a small dumbell. I've never lifted before, and would like to get into it, but a gym membership is not in the cards with the financial situation the way it currently is.
Well, not being one to ever turn down helping a buddy (and getting blog fodder out of the deal - yay me!), I dashed off a few quick thoughts based on my own personal routine:

There's a surprising amount of weight-training you can do with even a small amount of weight. I generally run three different types of lifts:

1. Biceps - curls. 5 sets of 10 (everything is 5X10, a holdover from my hardcore lifting days). Just like it sounds, sit in a chair with your knees out in front of you. Bring the weight bar from resting on your leg to your chest 10X one hand, then swap hands. Repeat 5X.

2. Butterfly curls. Standing up, start with weight in hand, lift hand out to the side and up over your head. 10X per hand, repeat 5X. This works mainly on the lats and triceps.

3. Straight lifts. Can be standing or sitting, start with the weight even with your shoulder, lift straight over head. 10X per hand, repeat 5X. This is mainly for triceps.

The most weight I use is ~ 55 lbs for the curls - Wal-Mart has inexpensive weights from 5 lbs to 50 lbs. That's the routine for now. Down the road I'd like to incorporate some dead lifts with a full bar as well as leg lifts and presses, but for now it's light work.

I am going to try to expand this into a post for later this week, and expect to get some good feedback from Ricky/RW on what to eat and when /how often to work out is ideal.Hope this helps!

Heh, nothing like putting a fellow on the spot, eh Ricky?

I want to modify my routine from primarily cardio to an even mix of cardio (to stave off the high blood pressure) and weight training (to add muscle and definition). I want to go to 3X cardio and 2X weight training to start, then transition so I'm only doing cardio workout twice a week. Right now, I exercise daily M-F and take the weekends off, alternating between rowing and stationary bike with treadmill every day. In the evenings I do sit-ups, push-ups, and light weight training, alternating the above-mentioned exercises.

For the future, I need to pick up a full barbell and ~ 200 lbs. of free weights for starters. I figure I'll start with dead-lifts (start with barbell on floor, bring to waist), squats (bar held at shoulder level, bend at knees, down and back up), and curls (as above, only with full bar). Eventually I'd like to add a weight bench with leg lifts, bench, and military press stations at a minimum (at least until we clean out the basement and I can find a Universal machine). The biggest issue with free weights is that you should ideally employ a spotter, someone who can work out with you to assist with lifting and prevent injury.

With a minimum of financial investment, a single-hand barbell and ~ 65 lbs of weights (4X10 lb, 4X5lb., 2X2½lb.), you can add in a significant amount of weight training to your daily routine. There are literally hundreds of other potential exercises that can be done with a single barbell; not to mention squats, push-ups, and sit-ups/crunches that don't require any gear at all. The single most important thing to do is to find a routine that works for you - it's got to be an exercise that's right for you so you stick with it, and it has to be challenging without being daunting.

I've found a good rule of thumb for adding weight to my existing routine is to add on a small amount (5 lbs. or less) whenever I'm able to consistently run through 5X10. Once the amount of weight I'm training with no longer challenges me, it's time to add more on - the goal is that for the last set of 10 reps, you should be feeling resistance in your lifts. If you breeze through all 5 sets, it's time to increase the amount of weight; if you find yourself having to rest > 1 min between sets, OTOH, you might want to drop the weight down a notch.

Hope this helps, and anyone ({cough}Ricky{cough}) wants to chime in with suggestions/corrections, please feel free!

That is all.

4 comments:

TheUnpaidBill said...

The best advice I can give is simply, "Train like you want to fight." That's how the military does it (although they flip the saying around), and it works. If you want to hike all day with a load, then you want low(er) weight, and lots of reps. If you want mass and strength, but are ok with needing a rest after a short time, then go with lots of weight and low reps.

If you want to burn more fat, then add muscle, which means high(er) weight and less reps. Trying to burn fat strictly through cardio is not going to give you results in a reasonable amount of time.

Definition is almost entirely dependent upon body fat, which is heavily dependent upon your diet. I don't care how much muscle you have, and how many "definition" exercises you do, you'll never look ripped until your body fat % drops under 10% or so

So I guess the important question is: "What do you want to accomplish?" then build a workout to accomplish that.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

We do Ross Boxing workouts on Tuesday and Thursday in Wing Chun--one hour of the kung fu, one hour of Ross kicking our asses.

I recommend it:

http://www.rossboxing.com/

Shootin' Buddy

RW said...

Quick answer for Jim: If you're not going to join a gym, get the P90X program. I've tried it all (Body for Life, all cardio, all weights, two-a-days) and if you're not going to use heavy weights there is nothing better. Thing is, you need to get off of it after 90 days, which I'll explain in a longer answer later.

As Ah-nold said in T2, "I have detailed files".

Anonymous said...

I found this book to be an amazing help in answering lots of nub type questions - http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/158333338X/

Also - heart rate monitor. It is very useful in keeping desired minimum heart rate during exercises.