Thursday, June 11, 2009

Disney Reflections, Part III

Park #3: Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Okay, true confession time. Here's where y'all get to poke fun at Jay G. for being a bleeding heart. I hate zoos. I hate animals being put on display for our own selfish amusement. Circuses are even worse, IMHO. I'll be the first to admit I'm not above profiting from their enslavement, as I have no qualms about bringing the kids to a circus in town or to a zoo for an afternoon.

But I don't like it, per se...




Onto the cute vacation pics!

THE Picture

Here's TheBoy and BabyGirl G. after the character breakfast with Mickey and Lilo & Stitch. Oh yeah, this was a good 'un...



The Animal Kingdom:

New GOP member

Obligatory animal shot. Had to go with the obvious nod to the GOP's mascot, the elephant. In this case, I'll let the reader assume that the shot of the baby elephant is an allegory for Jay's fervent hope that the GOP sheds the old dinosaur ways and gives birth to a new GOP dedicated to personal freedom, individual liberty, and economic conservatism.

And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony...



End of a long, hot day

Yep. Florida's hot in June. It's even hotter when you spend the majority of the day outside in the direct sun, walking over five miles around an amusement park filled with people. Good shoes, a sturdy pack, and lots and lots of water saw us through the day...

That is all.

7 comments:

ZerCool said...

Erm. Jay. Dude. Friend.

Your son is wearing CROCS.

Please ... for the love of all things good, find him some Cons. Combat boots. Tennies. Even *shudder* Tevas. But please ... take the crocs off!

If you won't do that, get him strapped. I think a Colt SAA in a gunfighter rig is probably about right for him.

wolfwalker said...

"I hate animals being put on display for our own selfish amusement."

I don't blame you. OTOH, good zoos don't do this. They use their animals and displays for education, as well as scientific study & research. A few animals kept on display can help open people's eyes to the great wild world of Nature, of which there is all too little left.

RW said...

Where was the character breakfast? I had dinner at "Boma" (good) & want to get the skinny on all the Disney meals.

Jay G said...

ZerCool,

*shrug*

He likes 'em. I figure peer pressure will kick in soon enough and he won't wear 'em any more...

wolfwalker,

Agreed 100%. A good zoo will treat the animals a helluva lot better than they'd get in the wild, that's for sure. And educating people, whether it's about guns or wild animals, can only be a good thing.

RW,

Shoot me an e-mail. We had some issues with our breakfast that were resolved, somewhat, but I don't want to get into it publicly...

Andrew said...

You do know that the bulk of the "animals" at animal kingdom are just really good animitronics, right?

Borepatch said...

This set of posts from you has been a real walk down memory lane for me, remembering Disney with my kids.

Thanks. I envy you, even with the heat.

RW said...

Jay, will do a bit later (want you to enjoy the vacation). I only asked because that pic looks a lot like the Ohana restaurant at the Polynesian resort - which is a fantastic meal for us every time we go - and wondered if there was some place similar around the Animal Kingdom.

Keep enjoying!