Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #117

Today's gun pic was partly inspired by a conversation over at Gunblogger Conspiracy (Go. Chat. It's where the cool folks play). The topic of scatterguns came up, and folks were lamenting that they wished 16 gauge would see a resurgence in popularity so that there would be more ammo available.

I inherited a number of shotguns from my grandfather when he passed, and a good number of those were 16 gauge. I couldn't remember exactly how many, so I went up to the armory to take inventory (for those curious, there are six 16 gauge shotguns in the G. armory: Two semis, three pumps, and one side-by-side).

As I counted, I came across this beauty:

Winchester Model 1400

The 1400 had a relatively short run from 1964 to 1994. This particular gun is a semi-automatic 16 gauge shotgun chambered for 2¾" shells. The general consensus on the 1400 is that they're not quite as nice as the Remington 1100, but generally a solid semi-auto shotgun that can be had for cheap money.

I just wish 16 gauge ammo wasn't rarer than hen's teeth so I could put this fine shotgun through its paces...

That is all.

10 comments:

Peripatetic Engineer said...

And when you do find ammo for a 16 ga, it's either bird shot or slugs. How about a history of the 16 ga for us, J?

Bitmap said...

"I inherited a number of 16 gauge shotguns from my grandfather when he passed, and a good number of those were 16 gauge."

I hope all the 16 ga. shotguns you inherited were 16 ga. LOL.

Jay G said...

PE,

I'd be happy to find birdshot alone, let alone slugs... Although I'd be reluctant to fire slugs out of any of the guns I have, just because of the age...

Bitmap,

D'oh! Of course that should (and will!) read "...a number of shotguns..."

Thanks for spotting that!

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

The lack of ready supply of 16ga shells is just yet another reason for you to "roll your own." I saw Midway had primed 2 3/4 inch hulls at about $14 per hundred. Just sayin'.

- Brad

aczarnowski said...

I'm with ya. 16 gauge is a beauty and I wish it was more available. Stupid 3" 20 gauge.

My wife inherited her dad's shotgun a bit early (he's still with us). Turns out, it's a Browning Auto5 Sweet 16. I'm sure that will be the only lottery our family ever wins.

Pawpaw said...

A rather short run, from 1964 to 1994.

That's 30 years. A career to some people.

In these latitudes 16 ga ammo isn't hard to find. It's not as common as 12 or 20 ga, but it's not hard to find.

Still, nice gun. Wear it well.

Ambulance Driver said...

Still available in the south, but not common.

Then again, the south was a hotbed of interest for 16 gauges. They sold better here than just about anywhere else.

And if Remington would make an 870 chambered in a new 3 inch 16 gauge, those things would sell like hotcakes.

I'd be the first one in line to buy one, too.

zeeke42 said...

"I saw Midway had primed 2 3/4 inch hulls at about $14 per hundred. Just sayin'."

I pay $20/hundred for factory 12Ga target loads. Also, Midway won't ship components to MA.

Michael in CT said...

Jay, Cabela's in East Hartford, CT has a selection of 16 gauge shells available or did the last time I looked and since 16 gauge isn't of the "taticool" rounds, there should still be some left.
One of my cowboy shotguns is a 16 gauge Belgian Guild gun, with exposed hammers and 30" full choke regular steel barrels. I am loading BP (specifically Triple 777) on a Lee Load All. Components are available and shotgun reloading is pretty easy.

Michael in CT said...

Addendum:

Useful shotgun stuff links, I've shopped with all three and been pleased.

http://www.precisionreloading.com
http://www.ballisticproducts.com
http://www.grafs.com/index.php