Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #121

While rummaging through the ol' armory looking for inspiration, I came across this beauty:

VEPR


That is a Russian VEPR in .308 Winchester. It's a "sporting" (don't get me started) semi-automatic .308 using the unstoppable AK-47 design on an RPK frame. There are rumors that there are 5- and 10- round magazines available, but they're scarcer than Bigfoot sightings or sober relatives at a wedding. This particular rifle has the distinction of being the only full-power semi-automatic rifle in the G. armory.

At some point I'd like to get a Weaver rail mount and a better scope for it to really see what it can do - VEPRs are among the most accurate of the AK designs. While the POSP scope that accompanies the VEPR is fitting to the Soviet heritage, something with Arabic markings would be appreciated. Or it could serve for an optical sight should it be necessary to make some tactical adjustments...

Now all I need to do is find a few 10-round magazines for it and I'll be in good shape...

That is all.

12 comments:

libertyman said...

That is one rifle for which walnut stocks aren't appropriate. Sort of like an engraved Glock.

Rick in NY said...

Jay, never heard of or saw one until now. Interesting piece of hardware. Yeah, I imagine getting mags for something that obscure could be a skosh difficult.

Nice piece, thanks for sharing.

Jay G said...

libertyman,

I dunno, I kinda like it.

Plus, if there were 20 & 30 round magazines available, I'd agree - but with the single 5 rounder, it's a Fudd gun...

Rick,

I'd never heard of it until this one came up for trade. Had I realized how difficult it would be to find magazines for, I doubt I'd have been in such a rush to get it...

Wally said...

I wonder how tough it would be to modify a M14 magazine ? Already has the pad in the rear for the AK-style mag latch.

Jay G said...

wally, that's something I've thought about - could I modify an existing magazine to fit?

Thing is, before I jump through hoops locating pre-bans, I need to develop metalworking skills and motivation, first... ;)

libertyman said...

Ooooops, no offense about the stocks. We can talk about modifying magazines, if you can do that in Mass. when I see you at the shoot. Still wouldn't engrave a Glock, though.

Darrell said...

Robinson Arms used to import the VEPR from Molot in Russia, in a variety of calibers, and convert them from sporting to a more EBR status. They're fine rifles. If you're looking for high cap mags for the .308 version, I believe FBMG does or did make and sell them.

Darrell said...

PS Doing a quick look around on the web, some people have done M14 mag conversions on them, too. You may be SOL on the other high cap options.

Jay G said...

libertyman,

C'mon. You've got to work a LOT harder than THAT to offend ME... :)

I can modify magazines; they just have to either be pre-ban or *originally configured for 10 rounds or less.

Frex, you can't buy a new 30 round .223 magazine and convert it to a 10 round .50 AE mag...

And no, I wouldn't engrave a Glock either...

Darrell,

I've come across them in my Google searches, but AFAIK they don't have mags available.

BELIEVE ME, I am happy to be proven wrong...

Wally said...

Jay,
Got a full machine shop here, and it's a no-ban state, perfect for experimentin'. You remain welcome to stop by! Preban M14 mags are available without any headaches.

Wally said...

Jay,
Got a full machine shop here, and it's a no-ban state, perfect for experimentin'. You remain welcome to stop by! Preban M14 mags are available without any headaches.

Anonymous said...

Jay:

I don't suppose you could try Saiga .308 magazines? Those are plentiful, but are they legal in MA? I don't think the rifle existed preban. Galil .308 magazines might work, but those are impossible to find.