Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I'm Here to Help...

Older drivers go back to basics
Older drivers took advantage of a crash-prevention program yesterday in South Weymouth, in collaboration with Commerce Insurance. Drivers 65 and older can take the course, offered by In Control Advanced Driver Training, for $75 through Aug. 14.
We've had a recent rash of incidents whereby elderly drivers have been involved in traffic accidents. Some were comical, as one gentleman turned a Wal-Mart into a drive-through. Others were tragic, resulting in the needless death of a young girl.

But never fear - there's a buck to be made here!

I'll make it even simpler:

This is the standard set-up for acceleration and deceleration in an automobile with an automatic transmission. We won't need to discuss standard transmission, as generally any senior still driving stick is most likely still capable of piloting without my assistance.

  • The long, skinny pedal on the right is the accelerator, more commonly known as the gas. Press this pedal to go.

  • The smaller pedal on the left is the brake. Press this pedal to stop.

There. That should significantly reduce the number of accidents, as the most oft-heard "excuse" when a senior rams into a building is that they confused the gas and the brake.

Skinny = go. Small = stop. It's just that simple.

That is all.

And yes, I fully realize I'm going to hell for this post...

6 comments:

Heath J said...

Screw the old farts. If ever there were a demographic that could use piles of .Gov intrusion and harassment, the blue hairs would be it.

Heath J said...

Added for clarification:

.Gov harassment along the lines of driving privilege, and it was meant partially tongue in cheek...

I'm a professional driver currently, that makes me an expert witness on motorist stupidity...

Mike W. said...

Heh, my sister did that once with me in the car. (in my car) Car was in reverse and she hit the gas instead of the break. Damn near gave me a heart attack.

knitalot3 said...

Um... and you use both feet, right?

(just kidding!)

Borepatch said...

What's that? Speak up, Sonny. I can't hear as well as I used to ...

(I'm going to hell for that)

Jim said...

It doesn't count for score unless a turn signal remains continuously blinking.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Hell, TX