Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Northeast Blogger Shoot, Summer Edition Update Part III...

Original post here; first update here, second update here.




Second Annual Northeast Blogger Shoot Meet & Shootin' Spectacular!!!



Alrighty folks. We're a week and a half away from the happy event. We've got the time, place, and most of the attendees in place. As we approach the event, I'd like to get a firm head count, as I've had several people contact me about attending and we're starting to run into limits. I'd like to finalize the attendees list in the next couple of days so I can let those folks know if there will be space or not.

With that in mind, if you're listed below as attending, please let me know if you're still coming. If you're listed as possible, please let me know as soon as you can whether you can make it or not. The list of attendees right now is close to the limit; we can take another three or four folks but after that we'll have to work in shifts; we'd prefer to keep the number under 20.





Now, the specifics:

Date: Sunday, August 2nd, 2009

Time: 10:00 AM EST until 5:00 PM/dusk/cops get called/we get kicked out

Location: Area 12, doubletrouble's sooper seekrit (and very heavily guarded) private range. Invitation only.

Attendees:

doubletrouble
JD
Andrew
Borepatch
Marko
Lissa
weer'd beard
zeeke42
MedicMatthew
mopar & missus mopar
Bruce
libertyman
stickman
David

Possible:
ZerCool
brad_in_ma
wally
Bennett
TOTWTYTR
The Saj
scotaku




Right now we're at 16 definites (including the range host and your humble scribe), which puts us at the same attendance as last year's shoot, which was pretty manageable. I think we could handle another 3 or 4 attendees with minimal effort; any more than that and it really starts turning into a goat rope.

Also, just so we're all clear, there are a few rules to set down. The Four Rules are tantamount - anyone showing disrespect for any of the Four Rules will be politely but firmly asked to leave. We have never encountered this at any shoot I have ever attended, but it needs to be said. Additionally, the range owner's word is law; if he asks you to hop around on one foot humming the theme to Battlestar Galactica, your only question should be "New or old?".

Here are a few simple rules for making the day complete:

1. Bring whatever you'd like to shoot, but be prepared to cart it home with you. If you want to haul out an old dishwasher to fill with lead, that's great, we'll be happy to help supply the lead. Just be ready to drag the bullet-riddled carcass back out with you.

2. Clean-up detail. When the shootin's done, we'll need a half-dozen or so folks to help pick the range back up and restore it to the way we found it.

3. Firing line. The firing line needs to be held to a maximum of four shooters (you'll understand better when you get there). This is to insure that all rounds go into the backstop. We can arrange heats for shooting, pick numbers, or just take turns like in elementary school. We're adults. We can figure it out.

That's it; there's nothing terribly onerous in that, is there?




Miscellanous:


  • I think it will be mostly free-form shooting, with plinking and informal target shooting the order of the day. I'll be bringing a number of large orange jugs (bulk laundry detergent) and a bunch of 2L soda bottles for reactive targets; there's a bunch of smaller water jugs leftover from last year; I'll also have a case or two or orange clays we can set up on the back stop or borrow the thrower. If I get really ambitious I'll pick up a .22LR metal spinner.
  • As mentioned above, bring anything you want, but be prepared to take it home with you. I'll bring a bunch of trash bags to help with clean-up.
  • Bring bug spray. This is in the woods, and we will get eaten if not slathered in DEET.
  • Lunch will be ordered from the local sub shop; we discussed this last year and determined that, yes, a large cookout would be grand, but it would cut into shootin' time...
That should about do it; please feel free to jump in and add anything I might have missed...

That is all.

12 comments:

Andrew said...

I am thinking that since I can't bring any toys (us NH folks are unwelcome to cart bangy things over the border), I might bring the Son & Heir to witness his first bloggershoot. Even at 6 years old, he has a fine appreciation of shooting the heck outta stuff.

JD said...

Jay, you don't want me singing the theam to anything - even if I can remember it = )

but seriously, I am in. Need directions as I didn't save them from last year. Was thinking of bringing a box of skeet myself if we can do a bit of skeet shooting at the end again, was fun. Also may have a black powder to take along. . . I have to get to a range to test it first. . . .

Looking forward to it!!! WOO HOO

Jay G said...

Andrew,

Range is located in NH. Bring all the toys you want.

Bring the boy, too. I'd be bringing mine except that I'm kinda running things, and having a hyperactive 8 year old underfoot when you're distracted isn't gonna work.

JD,

I'll send out the same directions as last year over the weekend to any who need them.

Wally said...

I am IN!


and "1. Bring whatever you'd like to shoot, but be prepared to cart it home with you" yah didja think I'd get all lazy and leave my toys on the firing line ? :)

Andrew said...

NH? Shit, I'll bring a lot of crap then, and the boy!

libertyman said...

Great -- I'll bring a few pieces. Let me know if you need any support stuff, anything at all. I have some old clay birds I'll throw in the back. Oh boy!

Anonymous said...

We are in, despite the fact that will mean a total 3 trips deep into enemy territory (MA) within a span of 10 days. I have a .22 spinner I can bring, and if people are tossing clays around I may have to bring a 12g or 3. I don't suppose someone is hauling a certain dead refrigerator with them? :P

Lissa said...

Oh, absolutely, I'm in :) (I don't know the theme to Battlestar Galactica, but I can do the Star Spangled Banner as necessary!

Borepatch said...

You know I'm in. #2 Son has offered up another stuffed child's toy, but wants to come and shoot it.

The Mrs. might come, too.

TOTWTYTR said...

You can move me from the "maybe" list to the "definite as long as nothing drastic happens" list. Calendar is clear.

BP, entice the lovely Mrs. BP by telling her I'll be there! Oh wait, I meant my No1 Mk III SMLE will be there with a bunch of .303 ammunition. I know how she loved shooting that the last time. Annnnnndddd it has a big, big, bayonet.

ZerCool said...

It took forever and a day, but you may officially move me from "possible" to "attending". :)

Unknown said...

I won't be able to make it. Wife had to work at the hospital this weekend.

Have fun...

Hey Jay,

Let me know if you ever want to go to the Pennsylvania Ren Faire. And maybe we can hook up.

:-)