Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gettin' Medieval...

While I know I've mentioned going to the local Renaissance Faire (King Richard's Faire in Carver, MA, for those who might be curious or for those in the area who might like to meet up at this year's faire, hint hint...), I've only shown pictures of the entire ensemble, not the weaponry. Well, we here at MArooned are equal opportunity arms nuts - everything from fictional weapons to crossbows and BB guns gets it's share of blog time.

In that vein, here's some medieval weaponry:

Consult the Book of Armaments!

Throwing axe, full-meter broadsword (two-handed), and dagger with matching quillion. All pieces are from Starfire Swords out of Spenser, NY who exhibit at King Richard's Faire every year. There's also a plain jane boot dagger that completes the armory, but for the sake of symmetry was left out of the shot. The dagger was a kind gift from commenter and life-long best bud sci-fi; the broadsword was actually my wedding present from Mrs. G.

How bloody cool is THAT?

That is all.

10 comments:

Strings said...

The question is, Jay, can you actually use them?

Made a rule for myself, many moons ago: never carry a weapon you don't know how to use. Which kept me out of doublet and hose for quite awhile, as the rapier was NOT easy for me to figure out... ;)

Jay G said...

In a pinch, yes. Broadswords were never meant to be fast-moving arms, and the battle axe may not be my most proficient weapon, but a heavy blunt crushing object in my hands = bad, bad day for the other guy...

Then again, anyone who goes after a 6' tall, shaved-head biker with a full meter broadsword has already pretty much determined to commit suicide... *g*

Strings said...

Actually... a properly used broadsword can be incredibly fast. Especially with the longer hilt: gives you a better counter-balance, AND a better fulcrum.

Some day, we'll have to spar... ;)

Comrade Misfit said...

What, no Holy Hand Grenade?

Atom Smasher said...

Two rapiers, a hybrid sword-rapier, a katana (silly hilt but sharp edge), and a gladius.

And yes, I know how to use them.

Doesn't get much more efficient than the gladius. :)

breda said...

I'm going to the Medieval Faire this weekend! I'm dressing as a pirate! Arrrr.

breda said...

oh, and I'll be carrying a gun. :D

Jim said...

The Gladius rocks.

In it's absence, I find an M-1917 bayonet to be suprisingly effective in nearly every quadrant.

Less reach, to be sure. But so damn nimble in both defense and counter, that they seldom see it coming in the initial parries. Use strength, it lacks leverage.

Be damn sure to effect a terminal score in those initial moves though. The Broadsword has range that matters!


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

SMP said...

Beautiful! And that axe is just breathtaking!

(How much to watch you and Strings spar? lol)

Unknown said...

I thought those looked like Starfire arms.

BTW, I am trying to remember. Like 4-5 yrs ago, last time I was back up at KRF. I remember them having either been robbed or had a fire or something.

Whatever became of that...or is my memory faltering?