Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Well Lookie Lookie!

Look what the white truck of happiness left on my porch yesterday:

Life. Is. Good.

The funny thing is, when I was a wee sprog, I used to hate the dreaded "Summer Reading List". Of course, that probably has something to do with being forced to read books like Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Agent" and Thomas Hardy's insufferable "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" (the highlight of which I'd have to say was Tess killing the bird. But only because after reading that boring book I longed to switch places with the bird...)

Had they assigned "Monster Hunter International" I'd have ripped into the list with a zeal normally reserve for dad's private stash...

That is all.

8 comments:

wolfwalker said...

The funny thing is, when I was a wee sprog, I used to hate the dreaded "Summer Reading List".

In other words, when it was work you didn't like it. Makes perfect sense. I quote The Wisest American:

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." (Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer)

And I didn't know there were Discworld graphic novels.

Jay G said...

I stumbled across this series when I was looking for something to add in to make up the free shipping, interestingly enough.

Being a HUGE fan of Frank Miller and his graphic novel adaptions of the Dark Knight and 300, I was on this like Oprah on a baked ham...

Reputo said...

I think I was suppose to read "Tess of the whatever" in high school as well. Can't say that I did (strangely I remember some discussion about killing the bird in class). No cliff notes, no summary, just plain didn't read it. Still I managed a C on the exam. Not sure if that is a reflection of how worthless the book is or how lacking public education was.

Buck said...

"Guards! Guards!" and "Small Gods" are my two favorites.

Steven M. said...

I'm going to recommend one sobering book to anyone who has ever thought about how we would survive a devastating shutdown of our infrastructure. In this scenario, it is the all-to-likely event on an EMP attack (Electro Magnetic Pulse) The book: "One Second After" by William R. Forstechen, a military historian.

To quote General Eugene Habiger USAF (Ret) Former Commander-in-chief, U.S. Strategic Command: "It's not a matter of if, but when"

Walrilla said...

I got mine on order, supposed to be here Thursday or Friday, along with a copy of Who's Afraid Of Schrodinger's Cat, a cool physics book.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my copy of MHI came today too!

Paul, Dammit! said...

I'm going to check out MHI when I get home.

Also, I just finished rereading Peter Hamilton's 'Pandora's Star' & 'Judas Unchained,' two of the best sci-fi novels ever, hands down. Interstellar war, murder, terrorism and all kinds of space opera goodness.