Tuesday, August 18, 2009

New Bike!

I mentioned looking for a new set of (two) wheels last week. I'm still looking, but I did pick up a stop-gap mode of pedal-powered transport:

New Bike

It's a Huffy Cranbrook single-speed, coaster-brake cruiser-style bike (with beach bars for Old NFO...). It's decidedly low-end, but I looked at it as an inexpensive way to discover whether the "fixie" lifestyle was the way to go or not. I've noticed that I get out on a bicycle, no matter how many gears the bike has, I generally use only two or three: low gear for climbing hills, top gear for downhill, and/or upper midrange for straightaways.

The single speed has many advantages to a multiple-geared bike. It's a lot simpler to maintain, with only chain tension and proper lubrication required rather than the delicate symphony of derailers and shifting mechanisms. Tire (inner tube) changes, a necessity for anyone who rides in anything resembling a city, are significantly easier on a bike with no gears nor brake calipers. It also offers more of a workout in general, as there's no low gear(s) to kick down into when the hills get steep - it's either raw brute force, or walking...

We're down on Cape Cod this week, and our campground abuts the Canal. There's 7½ miles of bike- and pedestrian- only traffic along the canal, and it's a fantastic place to bring your kids for car-free biking. I'm looking forward to seeing who's faster on the straightaways - me or TheBoy...

Review forthcoming after vacation...

That is all.

4 comments:

libertyman said...

Excellent choice, after all, the point of riding is exercise. Now, clothespins to hold baseball cards against the spokes to give it the motor sound.

Mike Y said...

Congrats on the new bike. The singlespeed lifestyle is simple and refreshing. My commuter and mountain bike are single geared and have been for years. Please note some purists might take you to task for assigning the "fixie" moniker to your new stead. A fixed gear bike (fixie) does not have the ability to coast.

Strings said...

I've got $10 on the Boy. Any takers?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Strings, I'll take your money.