Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Won't Be Long...

The days grow shorter. The sun is later in rising. Evenings lose more and more daylight. School supplies fill shopping carts. Coaches send out soccer team rosters. School starts next week.

Fall is coming.

There is one bright side to fall, though, if you're a gunnie. As the mercury starts to dip, it becomes less and less noticeable to wear a vest or sweatshirt. The larger guns that make odd bumps under a polo shirt now disappear under the bulky sweatshirt. It's time to dust off the hi-cap wunder-nines and 1911s and let the J-frames and .380s take a breather from the carry rotation...

I look forward to fall for many reasons: The kids go back to school. I can ride my motorcycle with plenty of protective gear and not roast. The foliage here in New England is breathtaking. And the pleasure of wearing my G30 without worrying about accidentally printing or (gaia-forbid) exposing it...

Sure, we wear more layers in winter - heck, I can conceal my telescoping stock M1 carbine under a mid-length winter coat - but we also have gloves to fumble with and the frigid temperatures to slow our reflexes. And summer, well, the only saving grace of summer (as it pertains to CCW) is cargo shorts. IWB becomes a dicey prospect for reasons both of concealment (specifically not having enough) and wear - lesser finishes (Kel-Tec, I'm looking at yooouuuuu) start to oxidize on contact with skin...

"Fall back" on your larger, higher capacity, larger caliber defensive side arms.

That is all.

3 comments:

Lissa said...

ACK. It's doing the auto-link thing again!

Jay, I don't want to take you off my RSS feed :-( What link should I be using so that I see when you update, but I don't link automatically?

Jay G said...

Uhhhhh...

I'm on the same page as LawDog here (Magic Elf Box).

Dunno nothin' 'bout settin' up no RSS feeds!

(Seriously, anyone got any ideas?)

Weer'd Beard said...

I can't wait until my 1911 can again be my day-to-day carry.

Love this little J-frame, but nothing beats God's own Pistol in God's own Caliber!

Arrrrr