Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Git Some Learnin'...

My phone call earlier this week lit a fire under me. I've decided it's time to get my NRA Teaching Certificate for the Basic Firearms Instruction Course so that I can give the Basic Firearms Safety (often seen as BFS) course needed for MA residents to receive their permits in accordance with MA General laws. The simplest way for me to get certified for this is to become an NRA-certified firearms instructor, most likely the NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor Course.

Becoming an NRA-certified instructor will have other benefits than being able to teach the BSF course. I'll have a formal teaching program in place, even if it's an informal session for my new shooters. I'll qualify for insurance through the NRA should the unthinkable happen and something go wrong. It should also qualify me to run the BB gun range for the Cub Scouts!

This is not an inexpensive proposition. The NRA course is $350 itself. There's a fee to become a BFS instructor in MA (as if this would surprise anyone). It's time-consuming as well - the NRA course coming up at the end of the month runs over two consecutive weekends. And, of course, there's always the distinct possibility that I'll decide to go further with the training program. Mind you, this is in addition to the "Art of Concealed Carry" course from GOAL and the "Secrets of the Concealed Carry Snub" course through Michael de Bethencourt. I still want to get some training for me!

And once all the above is done, I have to decide if I want to advertise my services or not. I'll worry about that down the road - right now I want to focus on taking the NRA Course and getting set up as a credentialled instructor first. I'll obviously offer the course to any new shooters I bring to the range; and I'll most likely put something up on the sidebar in case anyone stumbles across MArooned in a search for instructors.

Beyond that, word of mouth and a general willingness to help create more gunnies deep in the heart of anti-gun Mordor ought to do it...

That is all.

12 comments:

Wally said...

Way to go!

In addition to the NRA BPS class, what does it take to be certified as an instructor in MA? I though there was an additional hurdle to jump through with the state police ?

... Got my NRA instructor creds in MA "back in the day" ... Whoooooboy that was so long ago - you could walk into a store and buy a new glock :^)

BobG said...

Cool. Good luck with getting the certification, always good to get more instructors out there.

Ray Walters said...

Go ahead and get your RSO while you're at it. Some places offer a 3-day regimen with basic pistol/rifle, RSO, and instructor.

Lissa said...

Good for you!!

Jay G said...

Wally,

I *think* that once you have your NRA cert you're good to go. I already have my MA LTC, and from what I can tell, those are the only qualifications neeed. Well, that and the fee...

BobG,

Thanks (And good talking to you last night BTW!).

That's the other thing I forgot to mention - having ANOTHER firearms instructor in MA is another bonus...

Ray,

That's a good idea right there. Would come in handy for the regional shoots...

Lissa,

You and Mike are part of the reason I'm doing this. When you asked me for a referral to an instructor, I would have loved to have been able to say "I can do it, when's good for you?"

Something tells me I'm actually going to *lose* money on this... ;)

a most peculiar nature said...

Sounds like a great idea !

I have a friend here in the teeny state of DE who went through the whole process (and blogged about it, but that blog is now history). He then set up a side business as an instructor, and I took his Basic Safety course as a complete newbie. He was a great teacher..very patient.

His biz website is here (site seems a bit sluggish):

http://www.delawarepatriot.com/index.php

Andrew said...

I have been an instructor since 1991. You learn a lot about yourself while you are teaching.

I never did the advertisement-thing, but when I taught, I was adamant that I did not want to be compensated for my time. I only asked for the cost of the materials. I consider it my patriotic duty to create new shooters, something that you have been doing already.

We'll hoist a few when you get your cert.

zeeke42 said...

Ray, I believe once you're an instructor, you can self certify for the RSO cert.

Andrew said...

Zeek: yep, it is a home study course for instructors

Weer'd Beard said...

If you advertise or no, I'll do my best to send some business your way!

PeterT said...

The link you've included is broken. This one works....
http://www.snubtraining.com/courses.html

libertyman said...

I have had my instructor card for years -- if you want some help when you instruct, I will be glad to oblige. The home course for RSO requires the Law Enforcement endorsement on your instructor card, though.