Thursday, September 10, 2009

How Much Is Enough?

Both Tam and SayUncle have tackled the thorny question of "How many magazines should I have?" I thought I'd add a (slightly) new perspective, that of someone trapped in a state with some version of an assault weapons ban/magazine restriction. MA, CA, CT, HI, IL*, IN*, MD, NJ, NY, OH, and WI* all have some form of restrictions on magazine capacity, so this is not just a MA/CA/NY thing.

MA has extended the 1994 AWB in perpetuity, and as such has the most draconian laws on magazine restrictions. No new magazines with capacity over 10 rounds (5 if semi-auto shotgun) - possession of same being a felony. There is the grandfather clause for magazines made before September of 1994, so any magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds must be "pre-ban" to be legal.

With that in mind, my response to "how many magazines should I have" is a little different than that one might receive from someone in a free state. There's a definite emphasis on high-capacity magazines, in that I'll buy a pre-ban high cap mag long before I'll get a single-stack magazine 10 rounds or less.

I've got a few general guidelines I like to follow with regards to magazines:
  • For a carry weapon, a minimum of three magazines is a must - one in the gun, one for backup, and one spare to rotate. Six is preferable to three, as every magazine has its own back-up
  • For "fun" guns (guns that don't serve as dedicated carry, target, or teaching firearms), the number of magazines will vary anywhere from one to however many I can afford. General rule of thumb in these cases is to have enough magazines to load a good day at the range worth of ammo (generally 100 rounds). Price and availability of the magazine factors heavily.
  • For defensive/SHTF guns, more is better. Minimum of a half-dozen; ideally a dozen or two magazines for the AR-15, AK-47, and M1 carbine.
  • For guns that have pre-ban high capacity magazines available, buy as many as you can find whenever you can find them. I have a Sig P226 that I currently have 12 magazines for - two ten round magazines and ten 15-round pre-bans. The 10 round magazines do not work in the gun. They are factory SigSauer magazines, but they will not engage the magazine catch whatsoever. If I cannot find pre-ban magazines for this firearm, it becomes a very expensive cudgel...

Side note/open bleg: I'm always on the lookout for pre-ban magazines. I can always use 20- and 30 round AR-15 mags, 15- or 20- round Sig P226 9mm mags, Glock G21 13 round mags, and Browning Hi-Power 13 round 9mm magazines...

I started tallying up the number of magazines I had for each of my magazine-fed firearms, and had to stop when I had literally filled an entire page of my notepad. I've got half a dozen guns that I only have a single magazine for - this is not acceptable for any gun that's not a safe queen; obviously all of the guns in this category are safe queens. Generally the only reasons I don't have extra magazines is that they're either too hard to find (VEPR .308) or the gun doesn't work (Craft Prod K-25).

The guns I have the most magazines for are, obviously, those for which high-capacity pre-ban magazines are readily available:

  • Bushmaster AR-15: 33 (2 40s, 20 30s, 11 20s)
  • Sig 226: 12 (2 10s, 10 15s)
  • M1 Carbine: 14 (6 30s, 8 15s)
  • Glock G30: 8 (1 9, 5 10s, 2 G21 13s)
  • AK: 8 (2 40s, 6 30s)
  • Not a large capacity, but the Colt 1911, which I have a couple dozen magazines for

And I still don't think I have anywhere near enough of any of them...

That is all.

*Only certain areas

13 comments:

libertyman said...

How do you tell on AR mags? I think we talked about this before, but are there ones that are readily recognized?

Jay G said...

The short answer is, there's very little way to tell.

Basically, if it looks like it's been dragged behind a truck, it's pre-ban.

As long as there's no LEO markings on the mag, or it's not a company that came into business after the AWB started, you should be fine.

PeterT said...

Jay, you included MD in the large capacity ban list, and for the most part, you are correct. The odd thing is that it's not illegal to own a large cap mag, only to obtain one in MD. You can legally just hop over any of the borders, purchase one and bring it home....

(I lived in and dealt with MD for 26 yrs before I escaped)

Mike W. said...

The odd thing is that it's not illegal to own a large cap mag, only to obtain one in MD. You can legally just hop over any of the borders, purchase one and bring it home....

Or have a friend who lives in a free state buy a bunch for you and drop em' off. I've done this with bulk ammo purchases for my MD friends who can't do mail order ammo purchases.

Anonymous said...

No restrictions on magazine capacity here in CT, Jay. We do have an assault weapon ban, where a combination of certain features (one being a removable magazine) may be illegal, but no actual restrictions on capacity.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

Jay G said...

PeterT,

That's just messed up. You can't buy one, but you can own it???

Messed. Up.

Mike,

I know. I have the same sort of arrangement with friends who live in NH for ammo (not high capacity magazines).

While it's perfectly legal to buy mail order ammo in MA, very few places will ship it because of the hassle of dealing with MA for anything related to firearms.

Mopar,

Interesting. I had used Cheaper than Dirt's shipping restrictions on magazines to base the list, and they claim they can't ship magazines to CT. Go figure.

Mike W. said...

Jay - I've seen plenty of places say certain items can't be shipped to DE.

We get erroneously lumped in with all the crazy states around us. I'm guessing it's the same with CT.

kbergiu said...

Early signs of dementia?

First, I follow a story to Clayton Cramer’s Blog and get excited in the prospect of savings represented by two ads, “in stock ammo” and “magazines for cheap”. Only to be disappointed to learn those cheap mags are actually magazines, you know, like Field & Stream.

Then off to Marooned for gunny goodness where I read about wookies and comic books in the comments to “Okay, I Gotta Ask..”

So naturally when I get to “How Much Is Enough?” my first thought is, with all this free commentary and opinion available online, who the hell has the time and money to waste reading magazines anymore?

As Emily Litella would say, ‘magazines? oh… never mind’.

Anonymous said...

Mike is correct. I've seen some silly shipping restrictions related to CT. I'm guessing some places just see "state AWB" and decide to CYA.
The worst was Sportsmans Guide. I was placing a large order for ammo, and I tossed in a few boxes of BBs for the kid. Well, I get this email from customer service that they aren't allowed to ship BBs to CT! I was quite literally WTF? You'll ship me 1000 rounds of "deadly high powered assault weapon sniper ammo" and leave it at my front door with no questions asked, not even adult signature required? But you can't ship me BBs for the kid's Daisy? I tried to argue that logic, and the fact that I bought the damn BB gun online, and none of their competitors has a problem shipping BBs to CT. In the end I gave up arguing and just had Mrs. Mopar pick up a carton next trip to Walmart.

Buddy said...

Need more AR-15 20s? Have a few I can part with. Drop me an email!

Strings said...

Ummm... there is NO variation of the AWB here in Cheeseland.

I know you put a note in there about "in certain areas", but that just ain't the case.

We have a preemption law here, stating that no county or municipality can pass a gun law more restrictive than the state has...

ASM826 said...

Now, this post cries out for it. You are paying taxes to the very people that use your tax dollars to enforce these laws that infringe on the U.S. Constitution. FLEE MASSACHUSETTS!
Do it while you still can. Find a free state and make your vote matter again.

Rick R. said...

I'll be happy to swap my pre-ban AR15 and Browning GP35 mags for the replacement cost of post-ban mags 1:1.

Of course, that's not much of a deal for YOU. . . {grin}