Friday, October 30, 2009

Behind Enemy Lines...

Look what made it into today's Boston Globe:
AN ATTACK AT MASS. GENERAL

“While this certainly qualifies as a ‘psychiatrist’s worst nightmare,’ it’s not the greatest thing in the world for the nanny-state antigun forces, either. Here we have a private citizen - and what difference does it make what they do for work if they’re not actually on the job at the time - using their lawfully owned and carried firearm in the defense of another. We have an actual, honest-to-goodness defensive gun use where the gun wasn’t taken away from the gun owner, where the wrong people didn’t get shot, where the private citizen stopped a deadly threat with the force necessary.’’

Hmmm. Sound familiar? I had nothing to do with the posting, BTW. Someone from the Globe found the trackback from my original post and put it up there. From what I hear, it made the print version as well. Obviously I will now be targeted for re-education...

And in case anyone's curious, a link from SayUncle generates a LOT more hits than one from the Boston Globe. Make of that what you will...

That is all.

12 comments:

Borepatch said...

... a link from SayUncle generates a lot more hits than from the Globe ...

What is this "Boston Globe" of which you speak?

;-)

Congrats!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

heh.

TOTWTYTR said...

Worse than re-education, they'll try to sell you a subscription to their slowly sinking bird cage liner.

Jay G said...

I've actually thought about getting a subscription to the Globe, actually...

...


...


...


...


...just so I could cancel it...

PISSED said...

The globe calls about once a month and I say hold on, and yell to my wife . "Do we need any paper for the puppies"?... then come back and say NO we're all set..

Lissa said...

Congrats! Of course, the way they excerpted it *almost* makes it sound like a leaked email from a very worried Brady campaigner.

Paul, Dammit! said...

Be careful Jay- The Massachusetts Thought Police may be concerned that you're no longer loyal to the Party. You may need to brush up on Gun Kata.

Countertop said...

I've noticed that too.

Back in the day, when I actually blogged a fair bit I had a post picked up by the Washington Post's comitee paper an in the post complete with a link.

I got far far far more hits from Uncle than the Post

Bruce said...

Welcome to the club.

But, trust me, the rush will subside as quickly as it came.

Better that being linked by the Phoenix, though. Been there. Done that.

For a sneak peek at my soon-to-be blog post on this subject, see the comment I just left at the Globe's article there.

bogie said...

Congrats on being published!

Unknown said...

That's great stuff, Jay. But I'm curious about what you said, "We have an actual, honest-to-goodness defensive gun use."

That almost sounds like you recognize most of the reported DGUs are not "actual" and "honest-to-goodness."

Is that a fair reading into your words?

Jay G said...

Err, no, rather the opposite.

We are bombarded by the anti-gun forces with falsified statistics: You're three times more likely to be shot with your own gun; having a gun in the home makes you 43% more likely to be a victim of gun violence, etc.

There's a line of anti-gun thought that says no one uses a firearm for self-defense, a line that's laughable on its face yet continues to be brought up. It's one of the reasons I have a category for "Dead Goblin Count" - each one of these entries is a story of a law-abiding citizen using a firearm to protect their own lives.

While the Bradys and other gun grabbers would have us believe that firearms have no place in the hands of the general public (i.e. not law enforcement), there are hundreds of thousands of such stories every year. Many are not even reported - if the display of a privately owned firearm causes the goblin to re-think his actions and run off, it's not going to make the paper.

As long as there are evil people who walk among us; as long as we remain free; as long as it remains a choice for me to make; I will go armed. The odds might be one in a million that I'll ever need my sidearm, but I don't want to be that one millionth time...