Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: Beautiful Buicks

As we continue our swing through the Top Ten from the Big Three, our next marque is the Buick brand in the General Motors family. The Buick brand pre-dates GM itself, getting its start in 1903 as the fledgling American automotive industry took its first few tentative steps. Over the years, Buick served its role as an entry-level luxury model second only to Cadillac, the last stop before full-blown opulence.

Here's my Top Ten favorite Buicks:

1. 1987 Grand National. With a turbocharged and intercooled 3.8L V6 engine, the full-sized GN shouldn't have been as cool as it was. Even the V8 didn't move this pig at anything resembling a fast speed; it seems almost counterintuitive that a smaller motor would work better.

2. 1938 Y-Job. Considered to be the very first of the "concept cars". Designed by the automotive legend Harley Earl himself. Styling cues carried forward well into the 1950s and beyond, as evidenced by the Buick Blackhawk concept in the earlier part of this decade.

3. 1972 Riviera. The "boat-tail" Riviera, the early 1970s models are instantly recognizable by their aquatic-styled rear quarterpanels. They're also large enough to land commercial aircraft on, and typically weigh more than an elementary school.

4. 1959 Electra 225. The "Deuce and a Quarter", 1959 saw the debut of the 225 (so-named because that was the car's length in inches). Over the years, the Electra would evolve into a bloated land yacht and then a front-drive mid-sized sedan, but the original '59 just looked the best.

5. 1977 Regal. This is a sentimental favorite, as it was the first new car my family owned. It would eventually be totalled, hit by a triple-axle dumptruck that slipped out of gear, rolled down a hill, and plowed into the Regal. The only damage done to the Regal was that the door was caved in...

6. 1954 Skylark. Can't really say why the '54 Skylark makes the cut, except possibly for its clean styling, timeless good looks, and signature cues like the toothy front grille or the swooping side trim.

7. 1967 LeSabre. Really, pretty much any LeSabre from the mid 1960s through the 1970s would make the cut; however, pre-1970s models had more their own feel to them and less of a "Corporate GM" cookie-cutter look that they would obtain in the '70s and especially the 80s, where "ChevyOldsmoBuick" would become the norm.

8. 1953 Estate Wagon. The last of the true "woodies", the '53 Estate wagon is one of the nicest grocery getters around. The Estate nameplate would continue to be used until 1990, although in '89 and '90 it was used for the wagon only. And it didn't have real wood, although there was a sweet 350 V8 under the hood...

9. Super Sedan. Many of the styling cues of the Skylark would be shared with the Super; yet the Super would be one of the "forgotten" cars of the 1950s; a chrome-roamer lost to the ages. Well, not on this list it ain't.

10. Reatta convertible. Oh, sure, it was a SOP to the Mazda Miata to offer the Reatta as a drop-top, but the Reatta came out several years ahead of the little Mazda. The Reatta suffered from brand-orphaning - no one expected a lithe little two seater from Buick, of all people, and sales languished. The blue-hairs that bought Buicks in the late 1980s were about as far from the demographic that bought Miatas as can be humanly possible in the same species.


There's my list of Top Ten Buicks. The #1 and #2 spots are simply non-negotiable, but the rest of the list is open to interpretation.

What are your favorite Buicks?

That is all.

15 comments:

SCI-FI said...

Roadmaster?

Even the last iteration (B-Body, 1996) holds a special place in my automotive heart.

PISSED said...

Gotta go with the 72 Riviera.. 454.
My friends older brother had one we used to "borrow". Lotta car for 16 1/2 year olds : ) FU52

PISSED said...

opps my bad 455... please forgive me

libertyman said...

I think your LeSabre is a 68 in that photo. The Reatta was a wonderful car, my Dad had a coupe. My neighbor was a Buick dealer and always had the latest loaded Buicks.

DC said...

Nice post. The GN is my favorite too. I have a '73 LeSabre and a '98 Riv, my brother has a '69 Special and '98 Park Ave. The '73 and '69 were both purchased by our grandparents and passed to us in the late 80s.

MedicMatthew said...

I was going to leave a comment, but instead I wound up writing my own post about my favorite Buick. Which would have to be my dad's '48 Special

Paul W said...

What about the GS Series of the late '60's and early '70's? The '70 GSX with the Stage II engine was a f'ing screamer, and that yellow body made sure that no one missed it. http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z8581/Buick-GSX.aspx

I'm a GTO fan myself, but I don't like it when one of my "brother" GM vehicles is dissed.

BillyBob said...

Grand National for sure. Probably the finest (and fastest) car of the mid to late 80's. I almost felt bad for Corvette owners that happened upon a GN at a stoplight. Same for Mustang GT and IROC owners.

MaddMedic said...

Favorite Buicks? The two Park Avenues currently in our stable. '91 with 160K and '99 with 100K.

Home on the Range said...

There was one at this airport I'd fly into that they'd loan to the pilots to drive into town for lunch. It was built like a tank, looked like something the local funeral director would drive, ran like a top, smelled like pizza and probably had 200,000 miles on it.

I think it was a Park Avenue.

Dixie said...

"The '70 GSX with the Stage II engine was a f'ing screamer, and that yellow body made sure that no one missed it."

I came here to say this. Either the '70 GSX with the 455 Stage I engine (in Cotrez Gold) or the '66 Special with the 4.9L V8 and the 4 speed manual.

The '66 was so tough it survived 3 wrecks, hydroplaned at speed twice, and was driven 300 miles without oil. A TANK.

Anonymous said...

i owned 1963 Lesabre convertible that I thought was great.

TJP said...

I know the 80s G-bodies were square and uninspired, but I like conservative styling. I had an '83 Regal, and aside from the rubbish 3.8 6 (even-fire but produced before the oiling system problems were resolved), it was a fine ride.

A friend of mine has a chipped GN with a rebuilt engine, and it's a little too hairy for my tastes. I doubt many GNs have the original engine with the original tuning, and considering how quickly my Regal abandoned traction on slippery pavement, I really wouldn't want one with an apeshit-switch in place of the accelerator.

I'd trade either for a Regal with a smooth 350 and all the fixin's inside the cabin. How I miss looking over that long, crested hood, following its arcing path to the hood ornament.

Steven M. said...

So I take it, the Blackhawk was never produced? Damn shame; GM fumbles and looses possession on the 10-yard-line again.

My very first car was a 66 Skylark with the 340. Although she had high-milage and well-worn, she was completely rust and dent free. The late 70's brought high gas prices and I was commuting 60 miles, one way, so I sold her to an ex-brother-in-law, who took as good of care of her, as he did my sister. After putting a tear the oil pan and running her out of oil, the jerk refused to pay me.

That's when I learned Ex-brother-in-laws are usually EXed for very good reasons.

Unknown said...

I got a question? I have a 73 buick Rivera..Does the 73 and 72 have the same size rear end quarter panels.. Looking to cut and weld.