Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: Perfect Pontiacs

Continuing my march through the automotive offerings from Detroit's "Big Three", today's marque is the Pontiac brand. "We build shitboxes" notwithstanding, many fine cars bearing the Pontiac badge have rolled off the line. Here are my Top Ten favorites:

1. 1969 GTO Judge. This is my second-favorite car of all time. If you look up "bad-ass" in the dictionary, this picture is there. They offered Chuck Norris a '69 Judge, and he was afraid to drive it. This is the muscle car to which all other muscle cars should be compared.

2. 1955 Chieftain. While somewhat overshadowed by the Chevy Bel Air, the Chieftain was another staple of the 1950s chrome roamers. The '55 model included Pontiac's new 287 ci V8 motor, the first time a V8 had been offered.

3. 1967 Firebird. Even though the Firebird is the same F-body configuration as the Chevy Camaro, I like the first generation Firebird much better than the first generation Camaro. Just seems to have cleaner lines I guess.

4. 1956 Safari. Hey, the Nomad made the list for Chevy, it's Pontiac brother makes it too. I've got a soft spot for the unusual, what can I say? If you're gonna have a wagon for grocery-getting, it oughta look cool...

5. 1965 Bonneville. While kids today will remember the Bonneville as some staid old fogey car, there was a time when it was a land yacht extraordinaire, a car meant to cruise all day long (with seating for 10 of your closest friends).

6. 1970 Catalina. The Catalina was the low-end of the Pontiac scale, considered a step up from the same offerings from Chevrolet. The Catalinas came with a larger 389 ci V8 and an upgraded transmission (Hydra-matic).

7. 1972 Grand Ville. I really can't explain why I like this model so much; I just do. Perhaps its the positively ginormous coupe that needed every cubic inch of the 455 ci engine. Perhaps it's the fact that you could land a helicopter on the hood...

8. 2006 GTO. I like that they resurrected the GTO moniker with a rear wheel drive V8 rather than a front wheel drive V6 like the Chevy Monte Carlo. Even if it is a rebadged Holden Monaro from Ozzieland...

9. 1983 TransAm. This is a personal favorite, as one of my closest friends growing up managed to snag one of these beauties as his second car. There's nothing quite like being seventeen years old and cruising around in a gorgeous TransAm with the T-roofs out. And then the doofus traded it in on a Suzuki Samurai... I kid you not...

10. 1988 Fiero. Yes, the Fiero makes the list, if for no other reason than serving as the perfect donor vehicle for kit cars. With the mid-mounted engine and the ability to practically bolt in a small-block V8, the little Fiero could be turned into a fair replica of a Ferarri 308 for about the cost of a high-end T/A...


So there's my list of favorite Pontiacs. Which of your favorites did I overlook?

That is all.

18 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

the '65 Bonny is my "THE" car.

PeterT said...

#10, especially when you bolt up a Northstar v8 to it.... yowser!

PeterT

Anonymous said...

I'd like to humbly submit consideration of the 1967 Pontiac Grand Prix to this list. No other Poncho's front end looks as massive and sinister looming in the other guy's rear view mirror. Back up the intimidating looks with the optional 428 motor, n' life is sweet...

wolfwalker said...

They offered Chuck Norris a '69 Judge, and he was afraid to drive it.

Genius line. Steal it, or your own work?

Bob said...

I always liked the look of the '66 and '67 GTO's. One of these in gunmetal blue with white convertible top would be near the top of my most desired car category.

Jay G said...

wolkwalker,

That's a JayG original right there.

Stretch said...

My beloved wife had a Smoky and The Bandit special. She HATED the 100mph speedometer "cause I never did know how fast it could go."
I set a personal best for Rt 219 round trip in a Fiero GT. Only reason I didn't buy it? I'm 6'6" and 30 minutes is all I tolerate in the darn thing.

Brad_in_MA said...

Jay,

I had a highschool class mate who drove a Fiero. I recall helping him reattach the bumper cover with galvanized bolts after he drove through a golf course sand trip. I also recall from back when that Pontiac hat a HOT little 1.8 or 1.9 turbo-charged engine which made nearly 170hp, thinking how that powerplant would be an excellent little screamer in the Fiero. But alas, they only got the anemic 2.8 liter v6 or the 2.5 Iron Duke. Fun times.

- Brad

MeatAxe said...

I would add Pontiac's last gasp, the G8. Sort of ironic that they finally imported some of the Holdens that fans were clamouring for, only to have the entire marque shut down.

The G8, apparently, goes like a bomb.

Don't take my word for it either:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008-pontiac-g8-gt-take-two/

HTRN said...

I'm surprised there was no mention of the second generation(70-81) T/As. Available with a 455 well into the smog years(available till 1976!) it was considered the last of muscle cars.

Timmeehh said...

Jay, I've got a message from Chuck for you.

He's on his way and he's sharpening a knife.

Jay G said...

Two was my limit per model, HTRN.

Otherwise I'd HAVE to include the '64 and '72 GTOs as well as the '81 and '02 T/As... ;)

Old NFO said...

66 Goat- New body style, 389 Tri-Power, no power, no air (no brakes either), and 450hp... What's NOT to love about it :-)

Ross said...

I despise Pontiacs. I once had a 67 Tempest with a 326 ball-less engine and a two speed Powerslide transmission. What a pile of crap.

I will NEVER, EVER own a Pontiac again.

Unless someone gives me a '67 goat, that is.

Mike W. said...

the 88 Fiero is the only one worth a damn. I had an 86 and that thing sucked.

Remember that the pre 88 cars had a suspension design from the Chevy Chevette.

libertyman said...

We had three of your top ten in our family, plus or minus a year, at various times. The Catalina (mom's car), the TransAM( dad's) and the Fiero (sister's) . Sadly, Pontiac is no more.

Rabbit said...

You seem to have overlooked the '72 Grand Prix 455SD.

Wife owned a '79 T/A. She misses it to this day.

I, for one, was looking forward to a restyling of the Holden/GTO to something less like a cough drop on a hot day. Pity.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Steve M. said...

...Then GM throws the Pontiac marque under the bus (this after Oldsmobile!)... unbelievable...

With moves like this, it's hard to be optimistic about the future of Government Motors.