Thursday, December 24, 2009

Fait Accompli

Senate approves health care reform bill

Washington (CNN) -- The Senate has passed an $871 billion health care reform bill.

Senators voted 60-39 shortly after 7 a.m. to pass the bill, the centerpiece of President Obama's domestic agenda. Every member of the Democratic caucus backed the measure; every Republican opposed it.

The bill now moves to a conference committee to reconcile differences with the version passed by the House of Representatives.

The Senate health care bill cleared a third and final procedural hurdle Wednesday as Democrats successfully limited remaining debate time on the $871 billion measure.

Yeah, because we wouldn't want to actually discuss the largest expansion of government power since the 1960s "War" on Poverty (how's that working out again?). I mean, heaven forfend we sit down and read the bill and discuss its merits - or lack thereof. Even the bullet points reveal a litany of shiny happy unicorn thoughts - "subsidize insurance for a family of four making up to roughly $88,000 annually, or 400 percent of the federal poverty level." - yet nowhere in the article is a link to the actual bill.

I'll reiterate: This will be the federal version of the Big Dig. It will cost at least ten times what they're projecting; it will be implemented using the highest amount of graft, nepotism, and incompetence possible; and in the end it won't do a damned thing to actually reform health care - but will expand the government's intrusive role in our lives quite a bit. Just stop for a second and think about how many areas of our lives the government can try to control under the guise of improving our health.

And good luck sleeping tonight.

That is all.

3 comments:

Toaster 802 said...

Obama crowed that Congress is now “incredibly close to making health insurance reform a reality in this country.”

MORE LIKE…

Congress is now “incredibly close to making revolution a reality in this country.”

Got Battle Rattle?

notDilbert said...

Here's a preview of what's to come.

Since I'm self employed and therefore an insurnce pool of just 2, I windup buying my health insurance policy through the "Mass Health connector" program.. The program that is frequently pointed to as the Example of how well this new program will work.

....and , of course, since I actually earn a living, I don't qualify for any of the subsidies provided to 90% of the other "Citizens" in the
programm.

Last week I got a call from the people at the "Connector" to let me know that my preium would be increaseing next year.

BY 18%!!!!!

I still haven't figured out exactly what's going on here. First, they never call me for anything else. ....and it almost seemed like they wanted me to look for some other insurance provider to buy from.

But, the rates I can get through the Connector are still less than what I can get if I try to buy directly since, through the "Connector" at least I'm in a large group of people.

TOTWTYTR said...

If the timing is right, the voters will realize how bad this bill is just in time for the 2010 elections. Now, if the conservative media, which means mostly blogs, will keep the heat on...