Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kickin' It Old School...

Wow. Fired up the ancient desktop PC in the office tonight. This machine was built in early 2003, and is currently operating with peripherals from our HP Pavilion bought in 1999 before we moved into our house. I'm using a mouse with an actual ball that plugs into the computer (as does the keyboard!) and viewing a 15" regular CRT monitor. Holy cow, is this really how we used to do home computing? After using a 17" flat-screen display on a laptop, this feels positively archaic.

Although I do have to admit - I like the play in the 10 year old HP keyboard...

That is all...

9 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL- Try going back to a green screen (10inch at that)...

West, By God said...

I miss my IBM model M keyboard.

Atom Smasher said...

I still run a DOS box (not the app, an actual 5.0 machine) to play old games like V4Victory and the like. Wish I'd kept my dad's old TRS-80.

Borepatch said...

Load Linux, and you can get a green terminal back. Hey, Real Men grind their blog's HTML in vi ....

;-)

ASM826 said...

You should configure a connection to a newsgroup server and download some games from alt.binaries.warez.win95-apps. Then cruise on over and get in a big flame war over nintendo VS sega.

PISSED said...

What"I" find disturbing is the fact that you/we can consider "Old Skool" to be 2003.... :)

Bruce said...

What, no TRS-80? Vic-20? Atari 400 (with membrane keypad for super-speedy typing)?

Jim said...

Bunch of nimrods.

My first laptop was an Etch-A-Sketch. Running Geezer 1.1.

You don't wanna know the (lack of) performance specs on that one.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

NotClauswitz said...

Hey, that's what I'm running - a PC from '03 (the layoffs) - although it does have 2GB of ram and a 28-inch monitor...