Monday, January 11, 2010

Goin' Metallica on Ya...

Alternate title: To Sell Out, or Not Sell Out, That is the Question...


Yesterday's humorous posting about the snub-a-rooney on a T-shirt got me to thinking (always a dangerous predicament...) It costs nothing to open a basic Café Press store, and if folks wanted to display my moment of silliness with accessories, what's the harm? Why not offer up a T-shirt or shirts with the (surprisingly) popular Tacticool Snubbie and let my folly be shown far and wide?

Then I got to thinking a little more - isn't merchandising one of the symptoms of so-called "selling out"? If I'm going to go that route, why not offer up ad space for rent and bring in some revenue that way as well? It's pretty damned capitalistic - and I mean that as a compliment, not a slur - and if I can use it to augment the ammo fund, all the better.

My question, then, becomes (as our Japanese friends are fond of saying) complexious. What's the "best" ad system out there? Blogger offers ads tied in with the blogging software - that's pretty darn easy, and I am a lazy bastard if nothing else. However, it doesn't appear that there's any control over the ads that get shown - and with my luck, I'd wind up with ads for VPC and HCI all day long... Is it possible to offer ads on an ad hoc basis, even?

I'm pretty reluctant to muck with the format too much. As other, wiser bloggers have put it, this is free ice cream we're scooping up here, and I'd just as soon not fill in the white space with flashy, annoying ads if I can help it. Then again, I am in sales and marketing - selling out is pretty much a given - so I can't really claim the high ground here. *g* I guess it boils down to how much control I'd have over it and how much it might bring in - I'll scuttle the whole idea if I don't get to choose what does and doesn't make it up, especially if it's only a couple bucks a month.

So, do I go for ads? Should I set up a store for some T-shirts? Can it really be selling out if I'm already in the business of selling? So many questions this early on a Monday, but I'm curious what y'all think - would ads turn too many people off? I'm kinda figuring that anyone not running at top speed away from the foul-mouthed shaved-head biker gun nut already probably won't be bothered too much by advertisements...


I'm curious to know your thoughts on ads, both from a reader perspective and from other bloggers who take ads.


That is all.

8 comments:

Bob S. said...

Jay,

Not sure if I can help you decide but will put in my 2 cents.

I think the perspective on the shirts/mugs etc is not selling it. It is your effort, your thoughts, your sweat equity that created those items; taken advantage of people's desire to share with that is like watching your sitemeter counter -- simple recognition.

Because no one is forcing them to buy the product.

On the other hand, the ads might be considered selling out because they aren't your effort but what people have to put up with to read what you write.

Personally I don't have a problem with ads (unless they tremendously slow a page) because this is your site. If you want to make a few shekels off of people's desire to stop here -- that's good because no one is forcing them to come here either way.

Last, consider will either project be worth the return. If you don't want ungrateful people carping about having to look at ads or you hawking product (some will regardless of how much/little you do), then don't do either.

Basic rule of investing

Top of the Chain said...

I'd like to offer up my encouragement to be a bourgeois capitalist. DOOO EEET :)

Anonymous said...

Have to echo Bob S's comments.

It's your blog. Do what you want.

My only feeling is to not ruin the experience. Too many ads that clutter up the page, that might slow load times, or whatever... that stuff gets frustrating and provides a negative user experience.

But otherwise, it's your blog. Do what YOU want.

Adam Hart said...

I like the site as it is. And I don't see anything wrong with a link somewhere on the page to your cafe press site. Give the people what they want.
It gets annoying when the ads start popping up, and then I can't browse at work because some of them are objectionable and my anti-everything internal web blocking software will deny access.

Reputo said...

Jay,

Go with a vertical banner of Googleads. Sure, the VPC or HCI may end up showing, but think of the irony. If your ad revenue is going to your ammo fund (which is where my meager revenue goes), then by constantly showing VPC/HCI ads means that they are paying for your shooty goodness. Besides, it is always interesting which ads show up based on the posts you have. (I have to admit, it is fun to click through various posts just to see what ads get cued to them).

Weer'd Beard said...

If you make money you deserve every penny. Some people won't like it, others won't notice. You be the judge of the cost/benefit analysis.

If I thought I could make a few bucks without bothering my readers I'd do it. (and if anybody has any suggestions that don't include me dumping my LJ which I still enjoy for readership reasons)

Also I think you should see if LaserLyte would be willing to buy the image or concept, as its really funny and cool, but also shows the versatility of their products.

Anonymous said...

I like it the way it is. But your blog, your choice.

See Ya

Phillip said...

Thought about a T-shirt with the bayonet and the pokemon?