Sunday, January 3, 2010

MArooned Movie Review: Alvin & The Chipmunks, the Squeakquel

Two word review: Don't bother.

Longer review: TheBoy loved it, which is really why we went. I guess by that measure it was a good movie - it kept an eight year old's attention for the hour and a half run time, which is saying something. If you're looking for a plot, HELLO, it's a movie about singing chipmunks; in fact, it's the second movie about singing chipmunks. The two biggest names in the movie - Jason Lee and Christina Applegate - are either minimalized (Lee) or voice talent (Applegate).

What was surprising to see was the decided lack of anything to hold mom & dad's attention. One of the consistent plusses of Pixar movies, and to a different extent the Spielberg Dreamworks films, is that there's generally a secondary level of jokes, action, and references intended to keep mom and dad awake in the theater. There was none of this in the second Chipmunk installment.

It keeps the kids occupied - that's the best I can offer - but it's not a movie I'd care to see a second time.

That is all.

5 comments:

Colin said...

Concur. Good for our 8 year old, not so good for the rest of the family. But it was her pick for an activity during the holiday.

Borepatch said...

I had to take the kids to Pokemon: The Movie. It sort of explains my Blogshoot propensity ...

And it doesn't change (at least not soon) - I took #2 Son and a friend to G.I.Joe a couple months ago. We emerged from that cauldron of drek with two 13 year olds firmly convinced it was the BEST. MOVIE. EVAH!

Sigh.

Starik Igolkin said...

Concur. My 4 year old loved it, and I was yawning through the whole movie.

jimbob86 said...

I survived that borefest.... but then again I also survived a 13 hour drive in a minivan full of kids through our crappy Christmas Blizzard......I took 3 hours to make 75 miles on I-80..... damn Southern Drivers- they drive like they've never seen the Solidwhite Glowbull Warming before .......

Forzen said...

Wow! Alvin and the chipmunks movie is simply too good! This movie impressed me so much that I am fan of everyone connected with Alvin and the chipmunks movie. It is a complete package of fun and entertainment. Bingo! Keep it is up. You all may download Alvin and the Chipmunks movie from this website.