Monday, February 1, 2010

Bug Out Guns...

The Survivalist Blog has a thought-provoking article on what firearms should go in the bug-out bag. It closes with this question:

What are your thoughts or choices for bug-out firearms?

I started to compose a reply, it got lengthy, I realized it was easily its own post... Now, I might be at risk of losing my right wing gun nut cred, but I don't see a lot of scenarios where I'd be bugging out for any significant length of time. Sure, it's fun to game TEOTWAWKI or the Zombocalypse and what would come along, but I actually sat down and tried to come up with a scenario under which I would need to move my family out of the house for an intermediate length of time. I just couldn't do it.

Our house is situated in a location where if we got flooded out, it would literally be the end of the world as we know it. We're in New England, where earthquakes, tornadoes, or hurricanes aren't a realistic threat. We're far enough north of Boston that a "manmade disaster" would have minimal repercussions, and another of the nuclear/biological variety would mean leaving more or less for good - in which case, that ain't bugging out. The Colt Official Police my grandfather carried as a town cop is a lousy bug out gun, but there's no way in hell I'd leave it behind should we move on...

Anyways, for those that might have to evacuate for a short period of time (say a couple days to a couple weeks), here's my firearms suggestions. I suggest manually operated arms - pumps, levers, and revolvers. Granted, you're banking on the situation only lasting a short while, and if you need to use any of your arms long enough to get dirty enough to fail, you've got bigger issues... But simplicity of operation means that you don't have to worry about others who may come to your assistance not being able to figure out how to work the Blastomatic 6000 you've toted on the journey...

I'd suggest a six- or seven- shot .357 Magnum revolver with a 4" barrel as a handgun - this is small enough to be carried concealed if needed, powerful enough to take down a deer or goblin, and light enough to carry on a belt the entire time. 100 rounds of high quality hunting .357 ammo and 50 - 100 rounds of defensive hollowpoints isn't a lot to pack, and offers interchangeability in a pinch - moreso on the defense against two-legged predators using hunting soft points rather than taking deer with Hydra-Shoks, though...

For a rifle, a Henry lever-action carbine would be ideal for small game and personal defense in a pinch, offering 15 rounds of .22LR for rabbit- or small deer harvesting. A thousand rounds of .22LR doesn't weigh all that much for an extended hike, either. A 10/22 carbine with a folding stock would be another option (for those in free states), as it packs down smaller than the Henry and can have dozens of loaded 10 round magazines at the ready for minimal weight.

Lastly, a 12 gauge shotgun (20 gauge can substitute in a pinch) is an extremely versatile weapon to have around in such a scenario. Obviously something with a 18-22" barrel will be easier to maneuver on the go; a collapsible or folding stock will make the shotgun even more portable. Rifled slugs allow for large game to be harvested; birdshot can also be used for different wild game; buckshot keeps the two-legged varmints in their place. A good pump-action Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 would be worth its weight in gold in a bugout situation.

So, as MD says, what's your choice for bug-out firearm(s)?

That is all.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

"but I don't see a lot of scenarios where I'd be bugging out for any significant length of time."

Exactly.

ThoreMo

Heath J said...

Us too ^

I'll be bugging in and making my stand here, should things go badly.

Robert McDonald said...

If I have to leave I'm taking all of them. I only have five or six now anyway, so why not?

If I'm on foot then just my 1911 and my AR. A decent cleaning kit is fairly light if I'm on foot, and I need to have weapons I'm confident I can use well.

The Coffee Bastard said...

If I had only one choice then it would have to be my Taurus Judge. A box of buckshot and a box of 45 long Colt and most bases are covered.

Jay G said...

ThoreMo, Heath,

I've made pretty much the same decision, but figured it couldn't hurt to run through the exercise.

Actually, it got me to thinking... Next chance I get I'm going to pick up one of those $150 Mossberg 500 cruiser specials I've seen at gun shows (with the 18" barrel) and get a folding stock for it as a "just in case" arm. It's good to have something you're familiar with (I have a 590 as a house gun) that can be carried in a duffelbag...

Robert,

I'm assuming that you have some warning and also have these items readily available. If I lived in an area susceptible to hurricanes, frex, I might have a "hurricane bag" with a stainless S&W 686 and a Mossie 500 as above)...

Dave,

Judge - there's a neat idea. I only wish they were "safe" enough for us MA peons to buy... {grumble}

Will said...

AK-47. Accept no less.

Steve said...

I live in the boonies so I guess I am already bugged out. plus my elderly parents are in no shape to bug out road warrior style.
In the event of armageddon, I'm staying put.

M.D. Creekmore said...

Jay,

I agree; it's better to stay where you are most of the time - as I stated at the start of the article I'm not a big fan of the bug-out survival strategy - but a lot of people are interested in the concept and some may have no other choice. It depends on who and where you are...

Thank you for the link and sharing your thoughts - it is appreciated.

HlynkaCG said...

I read the same post and came to similar conclusions.

Living in Southern California I actually do have to worry about earthquaks and flash-floods and as a result I have an "Apocolypse Box" in the back of my truck.

Aside from the food, Camping Gear, and First-Aid kit, it has has my Remington 870 and a .357 Ruger GP with about 100 rounds for each.

Anonymous said...

A suppressed .22 pistol.

Shootin' Buddy

Stretch said...

Pistol: 1911A1, the correct answer for almost a Century.
Rifle: Love my M1A but it's too heavy for my wife to use. Leaves the AR or the Winchester '94. Can't go wrong with either.

Chris in Texas said...

When I evac'd for Ike I took every gun I owned (4 at the time), but I kept my 1911 on my hip and my AK riding shotgun beside me.

As it turned out, I needed neither. The most important preparation turned out to be the planning of the route, which avoided official evacuation routes and stuck to backroads as much as possible. Galvestion to Austin, via Freeport, in under 5 hours.

Wally said...

Agreed that I would be more likely to bug in, but bugging out is still a possibility. Did a Bug out drill last summer. BOB choices :
Simplicity & consistency! EDC is a G32- The BOB contains a complimentary G31w/night sights and 3 normal cap mags, a 9mm conversion barrel, and two normal cap 9mm mags. The mags are 49-state legal so I wont be bugging out to CA.

Usually a conversion barrel is silly, but I am certain the only 357 sig ammo that I'll encounter is what I packed. A 9mm barrel opens the options for whatever I can scrounge or barter. I'd take a 9mm supressor if I wasn't travelling on foot.

AR in 223, broken down and stowed in a backpack with a supressor and a couple of mags (fmj, varmint, match, subsonics) Heavy as stink, and I am planning an ultralite AR just for this purpose.


What am I missing out by not toting a shotgun? I could stow some of those 9mm shotshells if need be. If TSHTF, an AR would take most game that a shotgun could handle aside from birds in flight. But a shotgun gets heav-eee when you add in a mix of ammo. light bird, high brass turkey, buck, slugs, etc.

WV=goestor : Imma goestor and gitsum ammo.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....

1911 of some sort, although it shames me in a way to say it likely wouldn't be a .45, but a .40 - Para-Ord PXT 16.40, with four spare magazines. That's 65 rounds of .40 S&W, before I'd have to reload any mags. The ammo's also lighter to carry than .45 ACP.

Rifle, an AR, probably my 16" "semi-target" carbine, although I'd want to make some changes to the optics first, as well as providing for BUIS. Yeah, it's no "grizzly-killer," but I use Gold Dot ammo, and head-shots are head-shots, whether on game animals or attackers. Again, ammo's lightweight, and a bunch can be packed.

Shotgun, my Mossberg 500, with 7-round magazine, and probably 10 spare rounds each of buckshot and slug along for the ride. A 25-round box of birdshot wouldn't take up too much extra space.

Y'know, that'd make a dandy little camping gear plan, too, for a week out in the boonies...

Sigboy said...

http://thesigboychronicles.blogspot.com/2010/02/bug-out-firearms.html
There is my answer, and yes, bugging in is always preferable.
wv-redown, what happens when Hollywood butchers the remake of RedDawn

ZerCool said...

I don't see a lot of scenarios where I'd be bugging out for any significant length of time

Do semi-trucks ever drive through your town? (I'm betting the answer is yes.) Ever look at those placards they have on them? There's some Scary Sh...Stuff in those trucks. The *initial* evacuation zone for, say, a chlorine spill, is something like 2500ft downwind - and likely gets bigger before it gets smaller. Your warning will be the nice man in the turnout gear and respirator knocking on your door and saying, "you gotta go, folks."

How about railroad tracks? Natural gas pipelines? How are you fixed up for power if you have a two-week outage after a big ice storm next week? What if there's a large fire at a neighbor's that threatens your home as well?

It's easy to game bugging out around hurricanes, floods, etc - but the reality of it is, a bug out is probably going to be due to a much more localized emergency.

And my bug-out guns would be my 870 and my 642, plus a 1911 in .45... MrsZ can take what she wants.

Black Ice said...

I'll be bringing my .40 S&W and my Mossberg 500A. The wife will have her 9mm P95 and Marlin .22.

One (Fkn HEAVY!!) bag of ammo should hold us unless it's truly a TEOTWAWKI situation...for which you can only plan so much, anyway.

Anonymous said...

4" SS .357 Ruger

20GA semi auto shotgun

SKS 7.62x39

.22 rifle and .22 pistol