Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shout-Out

Just wanted to give a big hearty MArooned shout-out of thanks to aepilot jim for turning me onto this series on building an AR-15 from Brownells.

Last night I made some updates and upgrades to my Bushmaster (you'll have to wait until Friday to see what was done...) Later I was mentioning the changes on Gunblogger Conspiracy, and jim and several others were patiently listening to my noob AR chatter. They helped me figure out that, yes, I had the right buffer installed so that no, my Bushmaster isn't going to explode the first time I fired it.

And then jim remembered the Brownell's series on building an AR.

Just the segment on buttstocks alone was enough to show me what I'd done wrong with the buffer retaining pin - rather than snugging the buffer extension tube over the pin, I snugged it against the pin. Fast forward a few dry fires later, and the pin came loose and jammed up the bolt. Took a look at the section on buttstocks, realized my mistake, and now it's all set. This is the same issue I had a while back that caused me no end of concern.

I've got to say; I like the AR platform more and more as I dig deeper into it. There's a pretty sharp learning curve - hell, I was a revolver guy for a long time because the 1911 intimidated me - but once you pull it apart and see how everything works together it all makes sense. I've added some new features to the Bushie, some of which were samples sent for testing from LaserLyte and LaserMax, I'll have initial reviews up next week. With any kind of luck I'll get to the range and be able to give range reports too!

So, once again, thanks Jim (and everyone else) for all your help!

That is all.

4 comments:

NMM1AFan said...

Nifty.

The Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee book is pretty good, too.

aepilot_jim said...

I'm all ablushy now. If I ever have a Fuckfuckfuckityfuck post, I promise I'll give you a hat tip.

Jay G said...

Heh...

Anonymous said...

Ahh, your first build? You have my email if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Have you got the conversion kit yet? :)