Thursday, March 4, 2010

Big Tent? Try HUGE Tent...

I was thinking about the events of the past week or so, when it dawned on me. Because of this "gun thing", I personally have interacted with the following people in the span of less than one week:
  • Several nationally known Emergency Medical care professionals
  • A female Asian-American* who works in Boston's financial district
  • An honest-to-goodness rocket scientist
  • An internet security guru
  • A gay gun nut
  • An unemployed Jewish Mason
  • A Russian immigrant
  • A Marine Biologist
  • A teacher
All of these people have gotten together with me because we share one thing in common: we're all firm believers in the right to keep and bear arms. Some are casual observers; some are new to the shooting sports; some have forgotten more about shooting that most of us can ever hope for. Folks have universally been well-educated, driven professionals; many are tops in their chosen fields; all are polite, funny, genuinely nice people I am proud to call my friends and compatriots.

What I haven't come across are any knuckle-dragging neanderthal misogynists who want to see all minorities killed, immigrants shipped back to their countries of origin, and women relegated to kitchen duty (while barefoot and pregnant). I haven't seen a single confederate flag on any vehicles at any range I've been to; I haven't seen a single instance of poor or dangerous gun handling; I haven't seen anything from anyone in this group that would give me a moment's pause for my safety around any of them.

It's all good, 'cuz it's all gunnie...

That is all.

*Note: She (very politely) asked if I would footnote that she does NOT refer to herself in this manner. In fact, her exact words were "she considers herself 'American'; Asian-American describes her heritage, not her identity". Done and done, and thanks.

8 comments:

Ross said...

Well, I would like to see the illegal immigrants shipped back to country of origin... but as for the legal ones - not only no but HELL, NO!

The immigrants understand better than we native-born Americans how fragile their rights are and how we must constantly fight to keep them ours. I see this all the time when talking to someone who was born and brought up in another country. They appreciate how wonderful this country is compared to many other places around the globe.

ZerCool said...

I may have to put the ol' Stars'n'Bars on the truck next to the Gadsden Flag for the next shoot, just so you can say you've seen it. I don't know just how the other Massholes might react, but since I own guns and they don't, I reckon it doesn't matter much.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the little lady just dropped something in the kitchen, and she's too pregnant to bend over and clean it up... Don't want her hurtin' a bare foot, so might could have to find me a mex-eye-kin to help out some.

(Of course, how many people would actually recognize the REAL Stars'n'Bars, or Stainless Banner, as Confed flags?)

Bob said...

What I haven't come across are any knuckle-dragging neanderthal misogynists who want to see all minorities killed, immigrants shipped back to their countries of origin, and women relegated to kitchen duty (while barefoot and pregnant). I haven't seen a single confederate flag on any vehicles at any range I've been to;

I'll have to try and attend the next get-together and remedy that one for you. *grins*

I'm joking, of course. Mostly.

Ted said...

Weird friends are the best friends!
:)

Anonymous said...

A little to far for me to go Jay, but I'd have liked to have been there.

Tino said...

Well, you have to be an immigrant to be able to experience these negative facts of American life.

Other than that, I agree with you. I've been shooting in tens of countries and the gun is the common link - no words needed.

NotClauswitz said...

Sounds like the guys in my shooting club, we have way too many chip-designers and PhD's arguing over bullet coefficient variables - and then there's the scraggly-bearded homespun redneck cracker dude in the beat-up old Toyota pickup who's a multimillionaire.

Old NFO said...

Yep, it IS a big tent Jay, and getting bigger by the day! :-)