Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's Been A While...

One of the most gratifying things I can do is to take a new shooter to the range. Bringing new people into the shooting sports - even if it's just to satisfy their curiosity about what shooting is like - is the single best thing that we gunnies can do to insure the long-term viability of our passion. Dispelling the myths, half-truths, and outright lies told by the anti-gun forces is but the first step in reclaiming folks on the other side or on the fence.

We have facts, logic, and the Bill of Rights on our side. All they have on their side is fear, ignorance, and base emotion. Given time and the right instruction, fear and ignorance can be easily cured. Take care of those two and the emotional side will turn naturally.

I told you all that so I can tell you this: At the bloggershoot we held for AD, we had a new shooter in the group. Well, technically, he wasn't new but returning - he last fired a gun, by his reckoning, sometime when Ronald Reagan was in office. He had owned guns before in a different life in a different place, and has started to come back around to the point of being ready to jump back in.

I present to you, the returning gunnie Colin, one of my blogsons:

And He's a Wheelgun Fan, Too!

There's Colin shooting my Ruger Security Six at the steel plates (my mortal nemesis...) I think he enjoyed his time shooting at the blogshoot, despite my inability to remember to bring either a single-stack 9mm or a snubnose .38 Special revolver. Oh well, looks like we'll have to schedule another trip to the range sometime to cover that, right?

Welcome back to the world of the gunnie, Colin - say goodbye to your free time and expendable income!

That is all.

8 comments:

Ross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ross said...

Damn... wish I'd known. There was a single-stack 9mm (a Kahr K9) on my hip throughout the entire shoot. And he could have shot my snub-nosed .357 if he'd wanted; I had .38 ammo in the can. Next time ASK, mmmk?

Word verfication: pingsoly. I don't know what it is, but it's gotta be something good...

Colin said...

Thanks to all, especially Ross for hosting us.

I notice Jay did not compare our results on the plates...but to be fair, I did start shooting during Nixon's first term in office.

Jay G said...

Ross,

Really, it's not an issue - we're just going to have to get together and do it again... :)

Colin,

I would have thought that between my own personal displeasure with my shooting and AD's incessant digs it would be unnecessary to state that you outshot me on the plates.

Kinda like saying that the Atlantic is wetter than the Sahara, yanno? ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm taking one new shooter this weekend, and another person who we took for her first time a month or 2 ago. As a matter of fact, I decided that I really NEED (want) a .22 pistol to act as an intermediate between the .22 revolver and the full size 9mm. Gonna go tonite and look see what the huge merchant of death an hour drive north of me has. Thinking either something like Lissa's sig skeeter, walther P22, or the S&W 22a. Course if they have a nice used Ruger Mark II........

Colin said...

mopar,

P22 with the longer barrel is nice. I was able to hit cans @25 yrds more often than I expected. And that was with Jay's cheap ammo. Or should that be cheap Jay's ammo?

Jay G said...

I was *VERY* pleased with TOTWTYTR's P22. It ate the Federal bulk plated .22LR with very little issue...

And both, Colin. The ammo and I are both cheap... :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm home. In the end, I kept going back and forth between the Sig Mosquito and a Ruger Mark III Target. The wife didn't like the Walther. They didnt have the long barrel model, only the short. Truthfully, I thought it was pretty ugly in it's basic black color scheme myself, and even worse in the various tacticool colors, with the carbon fiber one the worst. It's a .22 for gawdsakes! So I liked the Sig because for training new shooters it's operationally pretty much just like all the higher caliber pistols. However, the Ruger target pistol is more accurate, and very customizable. I would be more likely to shoot the Ruger myself, but really it's a totally different gun, with a different look, feel, grip, and operation. Thankfully, my lovely bride is a gunny too, because after 30 minutes of hemming and hawing between the two she said "just buy yourself the Ruger!

...... and buy me the Sig now for my birthday in 2 months." Damn I love that woman! :)