Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Deathly Thoughts...

I've started reading "On Killing" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, a long overdue perusal of a most worthy book. It's an extended loan (ahem) from a good friend and commenter here Heath, he of the amazing fu stache and proximity to the World's Most Dangerous Librarian. "On Killing" is a look at the psychology of killing as it pertains mainly to wartime combat, with applications to the most final of outcomes for self-defense.

It's one of the few things that gunnies don't actually like to talk about. Sure, we joke about some goblin who "needed killing" or ponder the many gruesome ways we could dispose of a daughter's ill-mannered suitor, but there's rarely much mentioned about serious situations involving deadly force. We take note of dead goblins, dispatched by civilians, without considering the heavy toll that death takes upon the person pushed to that end, rightfully cheering the riddance of one of society's drains but glossing over the nightmares the private citizen will undoubtedly endure.

It's one thing to point your gun at a paper target, steel plate, or bowling pin. It's when your front sight covers a living, breathing human being that the psychology of killing comes into play - in Grossman's book, he brings up the statistics that, even in the most pitched battles of WWII, only 15-20% of the soldiers on the line actually fired their weapons. The remainder either found other things to do, fired wildly into the air, or simply froze up, unable to bring themselves to take another human life even at the expense of their own lives.

Squeezing that trigger will result in someone losing all of their tomorrows. Now, that someone may very well be coming through the window with duct tape and a butcher's knife in hand with the sole purpose of killing you and your entire family - but the inescapable fact is that with the gun in your hands, as you line up his sternum against your front sight, you will have to make the final, ultimate decision. Your act will result in someone ceasing to be. You will play G-d.

And you have to be ready to play G-d. You have to have made up your mind, well in advance, that you are capable of taking the life of another living, breathing human being. There's no practice for this; the closest would be hunting insofar as you do take a life. But there's a world of difference when it's another human being - that's someone's child you're targeting. It could be someone's father, or brother, or husband - heck, you may very well take a father away from his children. Even if they deserve all that and then some, the choice is in your hands whether they live or die - and you have to be 100% certain that, when the time comes, you can pull the trigger and live with the consequences.

Obviously, there are caveats. We're assuming that there are no other choices; that you've called the police and have screamed that fact until you are hoarse; or perhaps it has happened so fast you haven't had time. We're assuming that you have identified the threat as potentially deadly, either physically seeing a weapon in use or brought to arms or having reasonable suspicion thereof. We're assuming that you or a loved one is in grave, imminent danger - that it's a lot more than some drunken idiot shouting obscenities from the street. Even assuming for the sake of argument that it could very well be Jack the Ripper his ownself come back to life from the dead bashing in your front door with a fireman's axe while screaming "I'm going to eat your heart".

Even with all that said, you've still got to be 100% certain that when the chips are down, you can suppress eons of instinct and taboo against killing another human being and perform the ultimate task. It's not a decision I - or anyone in the gunnie community, I'd venture to guess - take lightly; I would hope we all share the sentiment that we'd be very happy never having to make that choice. The world is not perfect; evil walks among us; and some people just need killing, though - we'd just all prefer that it was someone else doing the killing.

I hope and pray I never have to find out if I have what it takes to actually pull the trigger. I hope I'm never in the position of having to decide to take a human life. I've been close once - threatened with a knife - although at the time I was armed only with adrenaline and a body like a silverback gorilla, and managed to present a large enough adversary that the young man in question realized he might kill me with that knife, but he'd get beaten to death in the process. That moment, though, that it clicked in my head that I might be in moral peril, I felt the beast inside me snarl. It called for blood. It soothed my fear and filled me with a terrible resolve.

It was also the most frightening feeling I have ever felt, and I cannot pray more fervently that I NEVER feel it again.

That is all.

14 comments:

ZerCool said...

without considering the heavy toll that death takes upon the person pushed to that end, rightfully cheering the riddance of one of society's drains but glossing over the nightmares the private citizen will undoubtedly endure.

In all truth, you could strike "private citizen" from that and replace it with "shooter".

The one tremendous advantage those who carry a gun for a living has is a very large support network. Thin blue line, brothers of the shield, VFW, whatever you care to call it, they have access to people who have been there, have smelled the powdersmoke, tasted that metallic tang of adrenaline... it's not something that can be explained to someone who hasn't.

There have been two officer-involved shootings in my county in the past fifteen years. One was the shooting of an emotionally disturbed female who had just slashed (and killed) an investigator with a knife. That officer is still on the force, but by all accounts a changed man. The second occurred about a month ago, and the officer is on his mandated administrative leave while the shooting is investigated.

The first one mentioned has talked about it with some of us. He still gets shakes in his voice and stops now and then while speaking. One of the most powerful things he told us was this: (paraphrased)
"They were securing the scene, covered the bodies, and someone said, 'Hey, did you get T's gun? That's evidence, we need to secure it.' And someone took my gun out of my holster. I was lost. I was a cop, but now I was the subject of an investigation. Then the chief came up to me, and took one of the sergeant's guns and put it in my holster. He stood face to face with me and looked me in the eye, and said, 'T. You are still a cop.' That helped more than anything else I could imagine..."

He went on from there, but the rest doesn't matter.

As a civilian, no one is going to put a new gun in your holster. No one is going to say, "You're still one of us." You will be a suspect.

Maybe we can change that someday.

Borepatch said...

Eric Raymond wrote a very interesting essay, The Myth of Man the Killer.

It's worth a read, on exactly this subject.

CoolChange©© said...

That was so well said. Your commentary speaks of all I have thought numerous times. I have had a similar event as yours and I feel the same as you. It is not something a right thinking person would wish on anyone.

Anonymous said...

Were it in my power, I would require every person who carries to read Col. Grossman's book.

John's Dad

ParatrooperJJ said...

With proper training, the toll is minimized.

Wally said...

I have been trying to wrestle with this issue and simplify it a bit (need to have "the talk" with the GF one of these days).

There is only one line that can be crossed, and there is only one response.

The line is the threat of violence to me or a loved one. The response is empty leather on my belt. A smart goblin will flee - a dumb goblin doesn't leave me much choice and I will do what needs to be done to stop them.

If there is no threat of violence, then no confrontational response at all - just siturational awareness, give them space and distance.


I have drawn once, and 5 goblins - a few with knives- fled on foot. Good enough. (Ward St, Mission Hill, PRM, ~1995)

Another time when I was maybe 17 or so, in MA of all places, I was given a gun during an attempted carjack as we were getting boxed in. My orders from Dad were to not shoot until he shot. Two of us exited with guns drawn, and both cars of jackers fled. End of story. (Orange St, Chelsea, PRM, ~1991)


Long story terminated, I think it is easy for the CCW folk to come to terms with the simple overview - one line, one response. Don't get mired in the details, respond while you still have time.

Jay G said...

There's a subtle but very important difference between knowing when you would be willing to shoot and actually pulling the trigger. That's where I'm coming from.

I've never done it (thank G-d). I don't know for a fact that I could do it; all I have to go in is my previous experience when threatened with deadly force as well as my natural overprotectiveness towards my family - I daresay someone threatening one of my kids, frex, won't get a warning other than the sound of the falling hammer.

But I don't know for certain if, when the chips are down, I will pull the trigger. I'd like to think I could overcome eons of ingrained mores and taboos to do what must be done if needed; I'm more concerned about my reaction alone than with my family (I'm more protective of others than of myself, go figure).

I figure that I'll worry about fallout later - that if I've got time to ponder if it's a "good" shoot or not, then it probably isn't, and that a "good" shoot will be readily apparent. It's that moment of truth; that second (or less) where the sights are lined up on the goblin's brain stem or sternum, he's swinging/drawing/slashing/etc., and I've got a fraction of a second to decide if I can pull the trigger or not that worries me.

I don't know. When all is said and done, I hope I never know...

HankH said...

Excellent post Jay. I just happen to be reading this book also (I asked for quite a few books for Christmas) and it is a sobering read, to say the least. Even though I've prepared my mind and body for worse case scenarios, I know that I'd never be the same if I had to exterminate a goblin.

HankH

Comrade Misfit said...

I don't know, either. I've come too damned close, but I didn't have to touch offa round and I just don't know if I could have.

I hope to every deity in everyone's pantheon that I never have to find out.

Anonymous said...

When I got my concealed carry permit, I had the paperwork tacked up on my to-do board for 3 months pondering that very question. If I didn't have that resolve what possible good would it do to carry. 3 months, every day. I decided that should it ever happen, I would be capable of taking the shot.

This thought does not comfort me.

In Terry Pratchett's Night Watch, the protagonist knows that if you do something for a good reason, you'll do it for a bad reason, so he watches himself. The following exchange realy sums this up.

~Quis Custodiat Ipsos Custodes
I know that one, it means "Who watches the watchmen." I do.
~Ahh, but who watches YOU?
I do that too. Every day. Believe me.

Quis Custodiat Ipsos Custodae?
Me. Every day. Believe me.
Tommy.

Anonymous said...

That was Thud, not Night Watch. Sorry.
Tommy

Anonymous said...

I think a great deal of the angist regarding this issue is the result of too many psychologists with too much time on their collective hands.

Can any one say "survival of the species is the strongest drive in a species that plans to survive"?

Of course I am a closet sociopath so I really don't pay any attention to those fools, heh, heh.

Angry patriot said...

Jay...

I'm going to depart from my normally humorous, and sometimes acerbic personality to get totally serious here...

I'm reminded of the scene in that God-awful remake by Disney of The Three Musketeers (the one with Oliver Platt as Porthos, who was the only saving grace to the movie because I felt that was the true Porthos....but I digress...).

At the end of the scene where D'artagnion and the Musketeers dispatch with the Bishops security detail, Aramis is seen praying over the men he killed. D'Artagnion asks Athos "What is he doing?" Athos responds "He's praying for their souls...Aramis takes death very seriously."

Its funny that you bring this up, as a few weeks ago I was talking to one of my club brothers who just returned from his 2nd Iraq tour. We were talking all sorts of cool firearms stuff, and all the neat toys he got to play with while he was over there, and the conversation turned to hunting, self-defense, concealed carry, getting a new rifle, etc., and he mentioned that he would love to go deer hunting next fall. Then he looked me dead in the eyes, and said "problem is, I don't think I could pull that trigger. That deer never did anything to me."

I was a bit surprised by this, because this is a guy who, just a half hour earlier, showed me the inside of his belt that he wore while on patrol...and the little Sharpie lines drawn on it for every bad guy he picked off from the turret of his MRAP.

So I said to him "You're kidding, right?"

And he just shook his head. "Nope" he said, "If you're ever faced with having no choice but to pull your iron to defend yourself, you'll see. When you're staring at someone who's staring at you, and they have you in their sights, your brain takes over, tells your eye what to aim at and your finger to pull the trigger, and its like you're watching a movie that you can't hit the pause button on. It just *happens*, a few seconds and a few rounds seem to take hours, and your brain does what its wired to do...to make sure that you survive."

Now...maybe its my military background and my military training that has made me a bit colder a person deep down, but I understood what he meant. When I hunt and take an animal, I take a moment and thank the Creator for giving me a steady hand and a steady shot so that my take didn't suffer needlessly. And there's always that twinge of remorse because you *did* take an innocent creature so that you could enjoy a real meal, and remind yourself that the burger on the grill didn't come from a cellophane package at Piggly-Wiggly...something died to provide food for you.

But as far as pulling the trigger on a human? I wouldn't hesitate. I guess its because we, as a society, place a trust in our fellow citizens to be good, moral beings. When that trust is broken, all bets are off.

Do I want to find out? Nope...I hope I never have to use my pistol on anyone. Would I hesitate if I had no choice? Nope...not even for an instant. I trust in the words of the my brother soldier, and they give me faith and comfort that if the time comes, it'll all be subconscious reaction to a bad situation...consequences will be dealt with afterwards, but survival is paramount.

Heh...and for my one serious post, whats the verification word?

wisess

Patriot

Lokidude said...

I hunt. I take that killing very seriously. But other than practicing trigger pull, it has virtually nothing to do with being able to shoot in self defense. However, it was impressed upon me, at about the time I got my first CCW permit, that if I was going to carry a gun, I needed to make "the choice." I made that choice years ago. I choose me and mine. My wife and I have had that conversation, and she understands. She is coming to the point where she's ready to make "the choice" for herself.

And yes, I pray to God every day that I never have to find out for certain if I really could pull the trigger. I also pray that if God can't grant me that peace, that he can grant me the strength to defend myself and my loved ones, and to deal with the aftermath.