Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It's Drawing Ever Closer...

The 2010 NRA Convention in Charlotte, NC that is!

I've been an NRA member for years and years and this is the first convention I'm going to be attending. I know much fun was had by all who attended last year's convention in Phoenix, and I also know that there's a bunch of bloggers near NC who will be attending that I'd really like to meet. I'm looking forward to this in a big way - this is a "dadcation" to borrow a term from Marko - as well as a gunnie's dream.

Weer'd Beard and I will be driving down from MA, and there's still room for more in the car (I haven't actually booked yet). If anyone else from the New England area is interested in joining us for the ride (approximate travel time: 14½ hours) let me know ASAP and we'll make some room. The plan is to leave after dinner on Thursday and drive through the night (in shifts) to arrive at the convention approximately when it opens at 9 on Friday.

As for hotels, there are still hotels listed through the NRA site that have rooms. The closest one is 5 miles away - meaning that there will need to be some sort of transportation needed. Most hotels have (or should have) arrangements for shuttles, but obviously this should be checked out ahead of time. Is there a "gunblogger hotel" of choice or anything like that? Given that most hotels in the area are filled up, it would be best to book immediately, if not sooner...

So, who else will I be seeing in Charlotte?

That is all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, at The Drawn Cutlass Works at a hotel in Charlotte and had gotten a discount for bloggers attending the convention.

Don't know if they still have any rooms available, but worth checking out.

I won't be attending. I've got an issue with the convention being held at a venue that doesn't respect my right to self defense. I realize that you're used to that because you live in a totalitarian society, but I don't and it just rubs me the wrong way.

Would have looked forward to meeting you and Weer'd.

Nancy R. said...

We plan on arriving around lunch time on Friday, and are staying at
http://www.countryinns.com/charlottenc_university.

Reasonable rates, they still have rooms available, and they have an indoor pool for Sweet Daughter.

Jay G said...

Sorry to hear you won't be there, Sailorcurt.

Nancy,

We're hoping to get in Friday morning, of course that depends on how traffic is on the way down...

Hoping we can meet up at some point!

Tam said...

I may show, I may not. I'm planning on being down in K-town near that time frame, and it's just a couple hours down the road. We'll see.

Nancy R. said...

Jay,

I'm counting on it! There needs to be some sort of blogger get-together if possible.

Jay G said...

It'd be a treat to meet you Tam. I'll even try to keep the squeeing to a minimum... :)

George said...

Since I'm local, I don't have much of an excuse not to show up.

It would be cool to meet you, Jay.

The Duck said...

Reserved a room at the Super 8 about 3.5 miles from convention center