Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oh, Did I Miss Again?

Darnit, darnit, darnit... I almost had a real steal for my Buy A Gun Day purchase - a local gun store had a Browning Buckmark Camper for sale, used, for about what a new version would sell for in a free state. That's normally a pretty good deal unto itself - if you can find a used version for about the same price as new of a gun that's not MA compliant and therefore rare. That's what originally drew me to the G30 I picked up a couple years back. Except this one came with six (6!) factory magazines - given that most guns come with two mags at best, and Buckmark factory mags run about $27 each, that's charitably $100 in magazines as well.

Unfortunately, the ad was posted on Thursday and I didn't see it until Sunday, so when I called the store yesterday morning (they're closed Mondays), I found out that it sold Saturday morning. Had I been paying better attention, it could be mine right now. *sigh* That's the way the gun biz works, I guess, especially in MA where anything "off list" commands a premium. It works to advantage sometimes, though - MA compliant handguns are often sold cheaper than usual prices because you can get those anywhere, any time. "Fair market value" doesn't apply in MA - go figure.

So now I've got a big chunk of money in my pocket and approval from the Mrs. to make my BAG Day purchase - and nothing to buy...

I've thought about going to one of the local gun shops and buying a brand new stainless Mark III Hunter with the 6 7/8" barrel and fiber optic sights. That's a sweeeeet looking gun, and one that's guaranteed to be a real tack-driver. It would be the first new gun I've purchased in about five years, and maybe only the third or fourth new gun ever - I'm a big fan of the used market for firearms; heck, most of the guns I own are older than I am. There's just no magic in walking into a gun store and buying a new gun off the shelf, though.

Maybe I'll just stop in and see what's shakin' at the local store - surely there's no harm in just looking around, right?

That is all.

9 comments:

libertyman said...

I think I have two brand new gun purchases, no maybe, three. It is a lot more fun to stalk the special purchase, and far more memorable. I remember the ones I missed as well, like that beautiful Savage .250 Model 99 at Kittery. Ah well.

libertyman said...

Let me know if you wander out to State Line Gunshop here in NH, or to Kittery, or to Riley's or....

A Horse Thief said...

No harm in looking around as long as you've got the Mrs. approved chunk of cash. Otherwise, it could be much harm.

Jay G said...

Yeah, I made that mistake once or twice.

I'm a slow learner, what can I say?

libertyman, the problem with shopping in NH/out of state is that I can't buy 99% of the handguns (although Rileys *does* have a sizable C&R section, hmmm...)

And the rifles that I'm interested in most will need some "work" to comply with the MA AWB.

I hate this effing state...

Lissa said...

I hear Browning will pay your sales tax until April 18!

And as you know, BAG day came a bit early for our family ;-)

TheAxe said...

Would you shoot a .22 automatic that much more than the .22s you already have? I know I've ended up shooting my S&W model 17 a lot more than my Beretta .22 even though I've had the beretta longer.

Jay G said...

Lissa,

Problem is, Browning doesn't sell anything I can buy - new - that I want. The Buckmark in question was a used gun apparently grandfathered in MA. Buckmarks aren't on the Approved Firearms Roster as far as I can tell...

And yes, I saw the new acquisition. VERY green with envy!

TheAxe,

The new .22LR autoloader is more for new shooters than anything else. My S&W 422 is a fine gun for plinking and informal target shooting; it's just a hair too finicky for a noob plus it's got a pretty dedicated scope/red dot set up on it right now.

I'd like to have a plain jane .22 autoloader that's not too picky about ammo that I can use when I bring new shooters to the range (like I'm doing this weekend).

Wally said...

Am I the only one who sees what this is? Do you think if you keep this up you are going to get a few new guns from Ruger or Smith? =^)

Stretch said...

While the Mk II is capable of excellent accuracy the fiber optic sites do not lend themselves to a fine sight picture. As its name suggest the Hunter is best in the field, not the range.
That said at my age I LOVE the fiber sights. My buddy double checked my range bag just to make sure our Rugers didn't get swapped "by mistake."