Monday, May 17, 2010

What I Liked Best About the NRA Convention...

Was this:

New Friends

It's getting together with folks I've known from their blogs, or IRC, or any other number of places, all gathered in one place with a common interest, just hanging around and having a good time. I walked the convention floor with Weer'd and Mike W.; had lunch with Breda and Alan; went out to dinner with SayUncle, Joe Huffman, and Countertop. It has been a fantastic weekend for my "Bloggers I've Met" section, that's for sure.

Alan made a great point. He was talking about how "this" was the convention - we were all standing around in a group, laughing at each other's jokes, anecdotes, and observations, just having a great time. He meant that it wasn't the convention floor - although it was just chock full of gunnie goodness, that's for sure - but the camaraderie of just being yourself with a group of folks you've known for ages and are comfortable with.

I've only been home for a day, but I'm already excited about next year's convention!

That is all.

2 comments:

Nancy R. said...

You and Alan are right. I had the same experience while waiting in line to see R. Lee. I chatted with people about gun laws in various states (and got to see a NY state concealed carry permit in the wild), what we carry, how we carry and why. Talked about some cultural differences, and we were able to respectfully disagree about certain things. My place in line was held while I had to take Susan to the bathroom, and the favor was returned. It's true that an armed society is a polite society.

Scott McCray said...

I know I had a blast hanging out with you folks - I do look forward to doing it again!

-Scott

w/v: matie
heh