Thursday, June 17, 2010

Drought...

I realized something the other day, during a discussion of the "one gun a month" law currently being proposed here in MA: I am woefully behind in my gun acquisitions for the year. Last year I picked up 5 new guns; 7 the year before; and an even half-dozen the year before that. This year will be halfway over by the end of this month, and so far I've picked up exactly one new gun... And it was a 10/22 at that - not that it's a bad gun, just an inexpensive one (well, not if you take accessories into consideration, that is...)

Part of it is, as I've mentioned before, that I don't like buying new firearms. I'm in it for the thrill of the chase, for the sheer undiluted joy of finding a unique used gun somewhere that no one else has. Sometimes it has bitten me on the ass - witness my trials and tribulations trying to find a spare magazine for my VEPR; other times I wind up with the steal of the year. Buying a new gun off the shelf in a gun store holds little appeal to me - even leaving aside the 6.25% sales tax on top of the gun that I don't have to pay when buying privately.

Another part of it is that I'm trying to work on my actual shooting a little more - having a bunch of guns is cool, yeah; having a smaller bunch of guns that you can shoot well is also really cool. I need to get to the range more often, and to start taking the same guns to the range to improve my proficiency. Shooting a CZ-52 one range trip, a NAA mini-22 the next, then a Colt Official Police the trip after might be fun, but none are going to contribute much to my ability to consistently hit center mass with the guns I carry.

And, lastly, it could just be that I've got all the guns I want now.

...


...


...just kidding. That'll never happen...

That is all.

8 comments:

Veeshir said...

I know what you mean, I like getting weird guns. I mean, of course I have a 1911 and a GP-100, but I also have a Calico and an Uzi.
I do like buying new guns, but they either have to be something I've always wanted (mil-spec 1911 for instance) or a little odd, like a Wildey.
Of course, it took me probably 5 trips to the gun store to actually get the 1911, I kept seeing other stuff on the consignment rack that looked better.

My next new purchase is probably going to be a .500 S&W lever action (Big Horn Armory).
It's farging beautiful, the only thing I have to do is stay away from the gun store and their fantastic consignment rack if I want to still have the cash for that.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I wonder what a Junk on the Bunk shot of Casa De G would look like...

Jay G said...

No one wants to see my junk, T-bolt...

Oh, wait. You mean *gun* junk...

Let's leave it that there's not enough bunk space.

In the entire house.

Brad_in_IL said...

And, lastly, it could just be that I've got all the guns I want now.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

{gasp, choke, chortle}

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

Oh, Brother Jay. You positively *slay* me.

- Brad

Keystone said...

If you are all about the chase, I'm accepting donations of officer sized 1911s. Never wanted one until I played around with my friend's...

I'm still working on the "basics" of my firearm collection, I need me a pocket pistol and a smattering of long guns, then I'll worry about the weird/cool things.

Hopefully this one gun a month thing doesn't pass, it's stupid, useless, and derogatory.

Anonymous said...

A stupid question here, but what are the laws regarding manufacturing a magazine for your VEPR, or having someone in a free state do it for you?

My understanding is that you can only own a 10 rounder if it is postban.

Sooo, couldn't you get an outside source to make a handful of them?

Other end of the question is, would Saiga .308 mags work?

WV: unatinim. Almost like unobtanium, like the VEPR mags.

Anonymous said...

Things have been dry here also. 4 guns in the last 2 years, and not for lack of trying.

I, too, enjoy the obscure. Just picked up a *cough*cough*mumble* four months ago, and in that time I have found exactly one shellcasing for it. Apparently, the shells are made out of VEPR mags.


If you are feeling like you are at a lull in the action, go for some parts to tweak your guns. Maybe decent iron sights for the 10-22, or the parts needed to get the M1 carbine running?

Kris, in New England said...

Being new to gun ownership, the husband and I have been on an acquisition kick for a year now. We are up to 7 now, with one more coming (though the husband doesn't know about that one yet, it's his birthday present). Nothing exotic just what we view as the standards for any collection.

Someday maybe we'll hit the weird/exotic stuff. Right now we're just having too much fun with the new stuff!