Wednesday, June 2, 2010

MArooned Product Review: LA Police Gear... Gear!

I mentioned last week that I'd received some items from LA Police Gear for review. I've had a chance to try out some of the items, and thought I'd give a quick "starter" review of some of the items. I haven't had a chance to try everything out (there were not one but two bug-out bags in the box, and I'm trying to put together a post with items to stock as well as the bag itself) or test durability (i.e. run through washer) etc., but wanted to get some impressions down right away.

I've had a chance to try out the Basic Operator Pants:

More Tactical Pants!

(all pictures shown are from the LA Police Gear website - they take better pictures of their gear than I do trying to get pictures of myself wearing it...)

and the Operator Tactical Polo:

Tactical... Polo?

The pants are comfortable, appear to be durable, and have plenty of pockets/storage without looking overly tactical - I felt comfortable wearing them to work as "business casual" pants. Size is pretty standard - I take a 32X32 pant as a rule, and these fit somewhere in between Levis (tighter) and Dockers (looser). The pant legs have a tie for keeping the pant leg tight to the body for tucking into a boot; I took one look at it once tied and immediately had an '80s flashback to pegging my parachute pants. But I digress...

There are two smallish pockets in the very front that are excellent for a cell phone or pocket knife/multi-tool; the main pockets are deep and easily accessible (and hide a P3AT in a DeSantis Nemesis holster just fine). The cargo pockets are deep and held the iPhone in its case without it banging around, and have a access hole if you clip a knife in the cargo pocket as I like to do. The rear pockets have twin button closures and are voluminous and easy to get even meaty hooks into.

The shirt is very comfortable and fits a little on the larger size - I put on the Medium and it fit like most Larges (LL Bean/Old Navy). It's soft - very soft - and feels far more like a T-shirt than a polo shirt. Sleeves were slightly longer than average length, with a neat little bonus - two slots for pens in the left shirt sleeve. Once again, this line is very capable of functioning as "business casual" dress in the office environment - no sticking out like a mall ninja or feeling under-dressed at the office.



The one piece of gear that I tried out immediately was the Pistol Case:

Pistol Case

It's on closeout right now, and it's an absolute steal at $8.99. I've got a couple of the MidwayUSA gun rugs that I paid $5 for, and for an extra $4 you get five magazine slots. Or you can keep one pistol inside the zippered pocket and one in the middle and have a two-handgun lockable case. For nine bucks. That's not all, though. I had my Smith & Wesson model 13 in this case when I went to the range last Friday, and when I got home and started unloading my truck, I opened my door to find that the case had shifted - and promptly fell out of the truck onto my driveway. I cringed as I opened the case - to find the Model 13 unharmed. The padded case spared my prized FBI Magnum from damage, and that to me is worth double the price on any day.



So far I'm quite impressed with the quality of the LA Police Gear line of apparel and gear. It may not be quite as slick or well-known as the 5.11 gear, but it's priced very well in the echelon of tactical gear and appears to be constructed on a par with items selling for quite a bit more. If you're looking for tactical-minded gear but balk at paying the full "operator" price tag, this is definitely gear worth checking out.

A solid MArooned thumbs' up for LA Police Gear!

That is all.

5 comments:

Carteach said...

Wow! LA police gear has some GREAT deal on their web site! Thanks for the heads up!

Julie said...

but i like photos of you in the gear ....

v.w. igang ... i guess it happen sometime

BUFF_dragon said...

I loved my LAPG pants until I realized they dont have a gusseted crotch like my 5.11's....
I came to that knowledge as I was banding and working calves and busted the crotch while kneeling quickly

other than that, the pants absolutely ROCK!!!! the back pockets are NICE to hold tools or even small items that you need to get your hands on quick while kneeling or moving around.. the ties at the bottom work great for holding them tight while getting your boots on....

I have some of their pistol cases as well, they are awesome for the price

Anonymous said...

According to me the CoolCop attaches easily onto the air conditioning vent,and the soft vinyl vest attachment fits comfortably between my vest and undershirt.
chiefsupply.com/search/police%20supply.aspx

Terry Smith said...

I must say that I'm impressed by the LA Police Gear line. It looks very durable and comfortable. Thanks for sharing!