Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Quick Tech Bleg...

As evidenced by, oh, just about every VC I've ever done, my microphone is a big honkin' piece 'o' cat turd. I've joked that it says "Playskool" on the side, but I'm starting to think that something made for preschoolers might be an improvement over the crappy headset mic I have now. The sound cuts out; it needs to be refreshed (unplugged & plugged back in) constantly; there are no controls on the headset itself even for more precise adjustments.

With that in mind, what's a decent headset/microphone set-up out there? I'm not looking for something broadcast quality or anything here (meaning I'm not dropping two or three large on a Bose, no matter how good it makes my dulcet tones sound on the VC podcast...), just something that doesn't cut out or make me sound like Jay Headroom. I don't mind dropping a little extra on something that's going to be high quality and last a while, but I'm not looking to spend a huge amount. Something like this Logitech, for instance.

Any thoughts on which brands to avoid/choose, which features are must-haves or don't-needs, etc.?

That is all.

8 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Logitech makes good stuff.

I've done all my VCs with an old Macintosh Microphone from the early 90s setting on the desk with a pair of ear-buds in my ears.

If you're rocking on a lappy, maybe you should just drop a little coin on a mid-range mic and rock like that.

David said...

I just picked up a Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 and I'm very impressed with it. Easy to set up, controls on a little doohickey on the wire (mute, volume, etc.), the phones are extremely comfortable and it makes me sound like Barry White, baby.

Highly recommended. If you can score a Sennheiser set on clearance for $50-$75, go for it - they're excellent, otherwise about any higher-end Logitech or a decent Plantronics set will get you by nicely.

Feature-wise, I generally prefer the non-USB variety of headset, but that's probably just me wanting to be all fashionably old-school.

nguyenhm16 said...

How about gear meant for podcasting, like this combo:
http://www.jr.com/usbmic-podcasting-kit/pe/ALE_USBMICKIT/

Decent quality without going off the deep end into recording studio gear.

Sevesteen said...

I've got a sub-$20 Logitech from Walmart, and it works fine under either Windows or Linux--Skype to skype calls have better sound quality than cellphone calls. This is the kind with 1/8 inch mic and headphone jacks.

I'd also take a look at Skype settings. Rather than let skype adjust mixer levels, you should be able to set them yourself--If I remember right, Skype for Windows has meters so you can lock them in place at an appropriate level.

(word verification: joystr)

Newbius said...

Sennheiser...not cheap, but worth it.

Old NFO said...

Here's the one I use... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+ClearChat+Wireless+PC+Headset/8987518.p?id=1218006355108&skuId=8987518

Jon said...

I use a Razer Carcharias gaming set, ran about $80 and I've been very happy with it.

Eseell said...

I used a set of these for a while before I traded up to some nicer headphones. They're very good and not nearly as pricey as other Senns.