Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What Does It Weigh? .357 Magnum Edition...

After seeing ZerCool's excellent dissertation on the weights of different carry set-ups, I dusted off an idea I'd had kicking around for a while in the deep nether recesses of my brain. Being a big fan of the .357 Magnum cartridge, I have many different configurations of revolvers chambered therein, and was curious to see how the guns varied as far as weight goes. I tested four of my five .357 Magnums - the Colt Lawman III is a brick and would have skewed the results - and here are the results.

Shown heaviest to lightest:

Ruger Security Six

The Ruger's the largest and heaviest .357 Magnum revolver in the armory, with a 6" barrel and the heftiest weight of 2 pounds, 10.2 ounces.

Smith & Wesson model 19

Here's the larger of the two mid-sized Smiths, the 4" barrel Model 19. This is a K-frame with a square butt, so there's a bit more weight in the grip, for a total of 2 pounds, 7.0 ounces.

Smith & Wesson model 13

And the smaller of the two K-frames, the 3" barrel Model 13. This has a round butt grip as well as fixed sights, which interestingly enough only shaves 3.6 ounces off the weight from the Model 19 - the 13 comes in at 2 pounds, 3.4 ounces.

Smith & Wesson model 360PD

And, lastly, the smallest-framed, lightest .357 Magnum, the Model 360, A.K.A. The Snubbie from Hell™. It's got a scandium frame, a titanium cylinder, and a 1 7/8" barrel, and tips the scales (barely) at 2.1 ounces less than one pound, nearly a third the weight of the next-closest revolver.


It's no surprise that the 360PD comes in the lightest; it's designed (and priced) to be ultra-lightweight. It's also - no big surprise - the hardest to shoot, with the feather weight yielding wicked follow-up times and the short barrel burning a fair amount of that precious power out the end. What was surprising to me was how close the three mid-sized guns were - less than half a pound separates a 6" barrel, square-butt, adjustable sights Ruger from a 3" barrel, round butt, fixed sights Smith & Wesson.

Now if I only had a 1991A1 Commander, I could do the same comparison with 1911s...

That is all.

11 comments:

Scott McCray said...

Get thee to the gun store - you know you *need* one! We'll wait.



W/V = holle

"Holle crap, Jay bought another gun!"

Jay G said...

Heh, you saw right through me... :)

DaveFla said...

Seems to me that there's a hole in you .357 lineup, but then I'm a fond owner of a 3" Model 60. At 25 oz, I find it a comfortable shooter of any factory load rated under 1400 fps. Then, there are also the 640 & 649 to consider... but my Speed Six would surely become a safe queen if I bought either of those.

Keystone said...

I've always wondered what my model 28-2 weighs. I haven't been able to find anything online that is accurate. Some stuff I've seen suggests 41oz, but I've got target grips on it, which would add to the weight. Just gotta wonder if it beats my Mark III (at 42oz) as my heaviest gun, or not.

At the moment, my 1911s are the lightest guns I own :)

By the way, every time I see a picture of a K frame, I want one more...

Jay G said...

DaveFLA,

The hole as I see it is two-fold: I need a 6" barreled Python just because; and I need a nickel S&W Model 27 for large-framed .357 Magnum goodness.

Keystone,

C'mon over and weigh her! We can hit the range afterwards with the small (360), medium (19), and large (28) S&W .357s... :)

Stretch said...

I miss my Security-Six. Carried one as an officer. Sold it to another officer when I left the force. Hum? Where did I leave that Ruger catalog and lottery ticket?

Keystone said...

Jay,

I might just have to...

ZerCool said...

Keystone: I just tossed my 4" 28-2 with target hammer and grips, combat trigger, on the scale. Unloaded.

2lb 12.6oz = 44.6oz.

I had been considering using it for IDPA but it's a hair over the weight limit for SSR (42oz), and I had no interest in shooting a match with full-house .357s under the ESR class.

Keystone said...

ZerCool: It's incredible the difference in that gun when shooting .38spl vs shooting .357mag.

Guess I'll have to get a different revolver if I decide to ever shoot revolver in IDPA. The crosses we bear...

ZerCool said...

Keystone: a Model 66 or 67 is, IMHO, one of the best guns out there for IDPA SSR (Models 10, 13, 15, and 19 are also right up there!). And J&G Sales has DAO 67s for 2-something right now.

Just sayin'.

If I ever make it back to my now not-quite-so-local-club, I'll be shooting my 67 in SSR.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Damn it, now I have to break out the Dan Wesson and swap some barrels around. Sigh! The work we gun lovers must suffer through....