Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Fun Thread: Summer Wheels...

I dropped the kids off at camp for the last time this summer. The program closes two weeks before school starts to allow time to turn the school grounds back into, well, a school from the summer program. And it dawned on me that I had been kicking around a Top Ten car list for summer time fun vehicles for a few weeks now, and that if I didn't hurry it up I was going to have to change it to cars to get through the snow...

For this list, I chose cars that are obtainable - certainly we'd all love to have a Lamborghini Murcielago convertible to drive to our secluded Italian villa, but for most of us it's something more utilitarian to haul the kiddies to the beach. With that in mind, here's ten cars - all drop tops - that the average person could pick up for a summer fling...

1. Mustang GT convertible. The new body style really hits a home run, with a combination of retro styling that harkens back to the late 1960's 'Stangs and new touches. Add in the convertible and the rumblin' V8 and you've got a winner and a half.

2. Jeep Wrangler. I like the four door version of the Wrangler for one simple reason: Put the half-doors on, take the top off, and you have a modern-day replica of the VW Thing. Put the hard doors and hard top back on and you've got a workhorse sport ute set for the winter; take everything off for summer. It's hard not to love such utility.

3. Toyota Solara. Toyota reliability. Seating for five. Sedate-yet-stylish. There's a lot of good things to be said about the Camry platform, most of which revolve around the reliability and longevity, but not so much about the fun. The Camry is a great car, but words like "fun" and "eye-catching" escaped it until now.

4. VW Eos. German styling and performance. Attainable pricetag. Fahrvergnugen (heh). The Eos is the successor to the VW Cabrio, a Golf-based drop top that had been around since the days of the VW Rabbit. The Eos is a stand-alone convertible, meaning it's not tied to the Golf/Rabbit platform but rather shares components with the larger Passat (athough it's the same size as the Golf & Jetta).

5. Honda S2000. One of the pricier entries, the S2000 offers true roadster performance in a car carrying the Honda badge - meaning that while you can drive it hard into the corners, you will be driving it hard into the corners for a long time. Seating for two limit the utility of the S2000, as those of us with small people to haul around will have to forgo it for now...

6. Chrysler Sebring. Because of the legendary depreciation of American cars, used Sebrings can be had for very little money for an inexpensive summer car. They've been around for 15 years now, so a lightly-used model should be easy to find. With the retractable hardtop, it's offering German-influenced amenities (hey, they learned something while owned by Daimler...) at American car prices.

7. Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. Another affordable offering from Tokyo, the Eclipse has been around in one form or another for 20 years. There's both a V6 and an I4 option for powerplants, with up to 265 HP available in the six. The Spyder option has been around since the late 1990s, so used models abound.

8. BMW M3 convertible. Another higher-end model, the M3 makes the list over the Z3 simply because of the extra row of seats (hey, I'm a dad, what can I say). With German engineering, used models are still quite viable and will have years of life left in them - especially as a summer fun vehicle.

9. Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. While these GM twins suffer from twin problems - being out of production and only 2 seaters - they're still inexpensive options for a roadster lifestyle choice. With proper care and maintenance, these might even be a nice investment - especially the Sky, the only sports car offered by Saturn - to hold onto given the rarity of the models.

10. Mazda Miata. The car that revived the roadster concept has got to make the list! The Miata has been available for two decades now, so used variants should be easy to find for pretty much any pocketbook. There's even a folding hardtop option available!


So there's my list of summer fun vehicles. I tried to keep the list to vehicles that we all might be able to afford (some more than others) should we decide that we want a drop top to tool around in. I've also tried to keep the list to relatively current offerings; sure, I'd love to have a 1970 Chevelle SS convertible, but finding one in driveable condition - and keeping it there - will prove challenging. I'm sure there are literally dozens if not hundreds of other options.

What's your fave drop top?

That is all.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had two sebrings and i should have learned my lesson on the first. But no. They suck.

I wanted to get a G37 convertible coupe but was overruled by the wife. Hence, the sedan.

-SayUncle

David said...

Well, it's $50K ... BUT ...

This little guy is definitely something I could see myself zooming around expansive Montana roads in.

Jay G said...

Unc,

I don't think I ever in a million years would have pegged you for a Sebring guy...

My folks have a '08, and my sister-in-law recently (last year) traded in her 2000 Sebring. I don't recall hearing too much bad from either, but with Mopar, a lot of times it really does depend on the day of the week...

David,

I tried to keep the list to cars under ~ $35K. Maybe next week I'll do $50K - $100K?

Brad_in_IL said...

1973 Volkswagen type 181, also known as The Thing.

Laura said...

ugh, Solaras. i've driven them with both a slushbox and a stick and they're underpowered hulking POSes. my opinion carries over to the Sebring. it's an ugly, overweight "economy" car with mediocre reliability.

i'd prefer an old V6 Cavalier Z24 vert (ideally the 3.1L) over either of the aforementioned cars...and i happily dumped mine. at least the Cav had some oomph and parts are ridiculously easy to find.

PISSED said...

1972 Ford Bronco Softtop.. or the 1972 Chevy Blazer Softtop that I just sold.


Both were completely top off :)

Mr. Casey said...

No Unimog?

John said...

I'll pass on the convertibles. In this Texas heat, I'd rather have air conditioning.

Roger said...

I've owned mine for many years and my dad before me.
The car is very nearly like an expensive mistress, but at least I can turn off the key and it stops.
[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/JagatTarponlodge004.jpg[/img]

Roger said...

My apologys, the URL did not copy completely. Here it is:


http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/JagatTarponlodge004.jpg

Roger said...

Aw sh--, no matter how hard I try it don't work. So here is the last try: http://i129
.photobucket.com/albums
/p235
/RogerS_photo
/JagatTarponlodge004.jpg

Awwright if it works ok if not, oh well.

Roger

Veeshir said...

I have your number one pick, an 06.
I've had it 4 years and I like it as much today as the day I got it. It's just fun to drive.

I like the 2010 engines better but I like the 05-09 body better. It's looks too Euro/Japanese to me.

The new 6 has as much hp as my 8 did new, around 300, the new 8 has 400 or so.
They had to compete with the Camaro I guess.

The Sebrings are good looking, but I can't own a Chrysler anymore. I've been mad at them since the 70s.

Robert said...

Had a 6 cyl BMW Z3. Wonderful car for the most part. Had no trunk space, the roof leaked whenever it rained, and the plastic rear window was useless. But otherwise it was great.