Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n #177

Today's gun pr0n is one of the many fine guns that were on display courtesy of Matthew from SWR Manufacturing. This has the distinction, however, of being one of the only guns he brought that wasn't full-auto, or suppressed, or both.

Itty Bitty

Yes, that is a Rorbaugh R9, the smallest production 9mm handgun available. It's a recoil-operated, double-action only 9mm with 6+1 capacity that weighs in at 13.5 ounces empty. It's compact size make it a true pocket gun, with a size roughly that of a Seecamp 380 and the weight of a S&W airweight, only in flatgun form. They're rare as hen's teeth (especially in MA) and on the pricey side indeed, but in this case, worth every penny. I wish I'd gotten a chance to run a mag through it - it was one of the only guns Matthew brought that I didn't get a chance to shoot!

It'd be interesting to put the R9 with +P+ 9mm side-by-side with the Snubbie from Hell™ with .357 Magnum JSP just to see which one kicks harder...

That is all.

2 comments:

skidmark said...

Rorbaugh says not to run +p, let alone +p+, through the little mouse. Having one I carry daily, I understand why - it's "snappy" enough with standard loads. Others have overstressed it by running hot (+p) loads through theirs. I don't have the money to be replacing it regularly.

BTW - can a "furriner" bring a non-MA-compliant item into MA to let a brother try it out at a MA range? If so, I'll let you know when I make my next trip to NH/VT and see if we can coordinate.

stay safe.

Jay G said...

skidmark,

Interesting! I guess it makes sense - there are tradeoffs to be made for something so tiny and all. I'd shoot it with +Ps (if it were acceptable), but then again, I offer the Snubbie from Hell™ as proof that I'm insane...

The only guns that are not allowable to bring into the state by residents of America are those that run afoul of the Assault Weapons Ban - no new ARs with bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.

One of the common misconceptions of both MA residents and those outside the wire is that non-approved=illegal. Guns that are not on the Approved Firearms Roster are perfectly legal to own, they will just get the FFL in a world of hurt for transferring.