Monday, August 2, 2010

Third Annual Northeast Bloggershoot AAR...

Wow. What a fantastic time we had yesterday. From getting together Saturday afternoon to help Doubletrouble prepare the range (with Zercool's help) and getting in a little pre-shoot shootin' to the firing of the cannon to the firing of a recoilless rifle to the long and tired ride home, it was just a fantastic day all around. I got to hang out with some fantastically cool people, shoot some really cool weaponry, and just in general have a day devoted to making things go bang and having fun.

It was cathartic on many levels.


Here's the list of attendees:

TOTWTYTR*
Lissa & Mike
Weerd Beard
Mr. & Mrs. Doubletrouble
drmac and Mrs. drmac
Andrew & his son
Matt Pallet of SWR Manufacturing
Wally
The Borepatches (Mr./Mrs./#2 son)
Bruce
Zercool
Dragon of Dragon Leather Works
Libertyman
LWJ
Old Windways
Mr. & Mrs. Mopar
JD & his daughter
Paul of State Line Guns
SCI-FI & B
Ross

First and foremost, like we do every year, please let me extend my most sincere thanks to Mr. & Mrs. Doubletrouble for opening their home and their newly refurbished range to our motley group of heavily armed lunatics. Secondly thanks to one and all for coming to the shoot - some folks came from as far as upstate NY to be at the sooper seekrit location shootin' guns yesterday. And lastly, thanks to Matt of SWR Manufacturing and Paul from State Line Guns for coming to the shoot and sharing their very neat toys with us.


The weaponry. Oh, the incredible weaponry. We had full auto rifles. We had suppressed pistols. We had suppressed full auto rifles. We had suppressed short barreled rifles. We had a cannon. Shotguns. Milsurps. Evil black rifles. There was easily enough ordnance present at the range yesterday to open a full service gun shop. We had nearly thirty people at the range, all with access to a fantastic amount of firearms, and yet the only injury of the day was a punctured foot from a hidden nail in an old board. No blood running in the streets. No mayhem whatsoever.

Well, with the exception of a couple stuffed toys that met their maker...

I seriously cannot express how much fun there is to be had at these shoots. Everyone is great - Weerd and I rode out to the range together like we do every year, and while chatting on the ride home we agreed that everyone there was entirely too nice! There were no egos, no loudmouths, no assholes (well, maybe the jerk with the loud whistle...), nothing but good people having a good time and being safe while doing it. We had the perfect day for a shoot, we had the perfect company for a shoot, in short, everything just clicked like it was meant to be. I had a ton of fun yesterday. I hope everyone else did, too...

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a s**tload of guns to clean... :)

That is all.

*Oops! I knew I'd forget someone. Sorry TOTWTYTR!

9 comments:

ZerCool said...

while chatting on the ride home we agreed that everyone there was entirely too nice!

Dragon made almost the exact same comment on the drive back to our hotels. From the near-constant barrage of, "Have you tried this one?" to the ability to just get things done without constant prodding and nagging... things just happened. Targets went up and came down. Trash was picked up. And yes, above all, safety was paramount. I think I heard ONE call of "muzzle!" all day, and when I looked up, it was still pointing in a safe direction and the swing had been checked.

Imagine if we were allowed to run the country? :-D

Andrew said...

Matthew and I had a great time (even if his internal time limit for anything is two hours). He always loves to see the horses after a good shoot. Kudos to all for the prep and planning and thanks again to our host and hostess who were as gracious as usual.

Until next year...

JD said...

Had a great time Jay, and my daughter loved it!

Thanks for the 1911 time, I am going to have to save up for one of them. . .

And of course thanks again Doubletrouble for letting us invade for a day!

Mopar said...

Already busy at work, so let me just add 2 words:

THANK YOU!

Ross said...

Glad I had a chance to stop in in the afternoon, and many thanks to those whose toys I got to play with.

MattPallett said...

I had a great time yesterday. I am planing new stuff for "next time". Yes, I will still bring the 22 cal M16. I just love the giggles and squeals of delight when people shoot it.

On an "odd note" a "Body Glove" Camera case with 2 SD cards ended up in my range bag. I would love to return it ...

dr mac said...

Much thanks to you, DT, and others for pulling this off. Myself and the Mrs had a great time, not surprising since we were surrounded by great people.

TOTWTYTR said...

Ahem.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.