Monday, September 27, 2010

Drums, Please...

TheBoy is in Fourth grade. He's more than halfway done with his elementary school career, and has started (as I've mentioned previously) to exhibit signs of growing up. Fourth Grade is a Very Big Year - this is the first year they receive actual letter grades (A,B,C, etc.) rather than the previous NAPO method (Needs Improvement/Adequate/Proficient/Outstanding). The sports teams are more competitive, keeping score and following the rules of the games more than ever before.

And it's also the first year they can lessons for a musical instrument.

TheBoy has, of course, chosen "percussion", and if you notice a striking similarity between the name and a method of igniting gunpowder to cause destruction and mayhem, give yourself a gold star. He'll be coming home with his very own drum kit, a single snare drum that he will use to practice, practice, practice until I start wearing my Peltor muffs around the house 24/7. If he gets really good I may move to Peru. I imagine that he chose "percussion" simply because "jackhammer" was already full.

I kid, I kid. I'm excited for him, albeit a little apprehensive about the noise. Musicians run in our family, with my uncle as the music director for a local high school and numerous great uncles who have performed in amateur bands through the decades. I played guitar back in high school, a million lifetimes ago and certainly haven't retained anything, but I remember the days spent down in the basement with me, the songbook, and my Harmony acoustic learning fumbling my way through the latest hard rock offering. If nothing else, this will be his introduction to the arts, a first tentative step towards his adult years and appreciation for more than the latest pop drek.

I imagine it will also result in my getting some vastly improved hearing protection, too...

That is all.

13 comments:

zeeke42 said...

Depending how they do it, look in to the instrument lease agreement or whatever carefully. Paying month to month is usually a big racket, but is worthwhile if he doesn't stick with it. It's not as big a deal on a snare drum as on a more expensive wind instrument. Generally the most cost effective way to go for band instruments is to use the school's month to month 'rent-to-own' plan until you're sure the kid will stick with it, and then buy a used instrument outright.

Playing in the school band through high school was definitely a great experience for me. Going to all the football games and competitions with my friends was a lot of fun, and it taught me a lot about the value of practice and hard work with a team.

zeeke42 said...

Oh, forgot the original suggestion I was going to make:
http://www.hearsafe-usa.com/

The web site is way out of date, but I've seen him at matches and events. The set of custom plugs I bought from him last year are the best shooting accessory I've ever purchased.

Weer'd Beard said...

You can buy "Practice Pads" which I believe are made of cork that don't make all the wonderful sound, but can help the boy learn rhythm, and do things like press-rolls.

Best of luck to him! Ahhh my days as a Band Geek!

Arthur said...

I think percussion would be less painful than, say trumpet.

Both are loud, but it's hard to squeal off key with a drum.

Bob S. said...

My oldest son started off on the Cello.

I now know cats being strangled sound like.

PISSED said...

Hey Jay show him this :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvgD9nfxKsc

Ancient Woodsman said...

One does not get to be the next John Bonham without starting somewhere. Perhaps he will not stick with it or maybe he will. You will get lucky either way as success & failure are both learning experiences.

If his dad is even remotely as good as his paternal grandad apparently was with you, he'll not only do fine but learn a heck of a lot more than just the drum. If it takes or not, he will recall your participation in the experiment when in his 40s and beyond and have yet one more reason to smile.

ASM826 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWg6OLqHlNM

Some of the best drumming in the world.

Old NFO said...

Roger on the hearing protection :-)

Stretch said...

A good drummer is the heart of any bagpipe band. They can practice in your basement. And when he's older he'll discover a kilt is a great babe magnet.

Anonymous said...

You know, Lars Ulrich is worth 64 million (and he takes care of his daddy).

Jim said...

Talent? I haz it.

I'm accomplished on the AM, FM, CD, Victrol...um...phonograph, 8 track, cassette, reel to reel and am nearing mastery of the MP3.

Suffice to say, I'm in dreadful envy of your son's opportunity, and hopefully, new passion. If he has your nature, he'll devour the technicalities, add talent, and emerge on the other side as an accomplished musician and performer.

In this case, your suffering shall indeed be necessary, and noble.

May your pride and pleasure exceed your misery by some magnitues of order.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

Weer'd Beard said...

"You know, Lars Ulrich is worth 64 million (and he takes care of his daddy)."

I think Lars' Daddy could have taken plenty care of himself without his boy's $$$
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torben_Ulrich