Thursday, September 30, 2010

This Is Why I Have the Harleybago...

Because if I had a sportbike, I would be tempted to do stuff like this:



I'm guessing that's Eastern Europe, judging from the Cyrillic characters and some of the automobiles shown in the video. I have no idea if lane splitting/center line riding/etc. are legal, but something tells me not. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the activity shown in this video would get the rider not only arrested, but most likely shot.

These kinds of stunts infuriate me as a rider. I see these guys all the time, whipping in and out of traffic, splitting lanes, and just acting like morons in general. They poison the well for all bikers - folks see them pulling wheelies, ignoring traffic laws, and creating an unsafe environment all around and extrapolate that behavior to all motorcyclists. Then when I am riding along, minding my own business, your average cager thinks nothing of cutting me off, because I'm just "another damn biker".

Squids have two places - served up as fresh calamari and as organ donors.

That is all.

Link sent by PISSED, who I hope isn't the rider in question... :)

9 comments:

PISSED said...

alas Jay..that wasn't me.. :)

Here is another one that I came across on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Deals Gap.. ON A GOLDWING!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

aka.. the tail of the dragon...

watch that video.. thay guy is amazing....

Chris in Texas said...

Damn, I kept waiting (hoping?) for somebody to open a door or try to change lanes.

Andrew said...

Sadly, I was first on-scene (and witness) to a rice rocket that hit the back of a taxi going about 140 (the taxi was doing about 50; you do the math) in FL. After watching the rider pinwheel about 200 yards, I went to "stabilize" him for the inevitable paramedics. To say that I have never seen a deader man would be an understatement. Multiple compound fractures on each limb and his head was basically twisted off. Made for checking his pulse a little difficult. Anyway, the ambulance could turn off its siren.

Dumb jackass.

Aaron said...

Met a guy in my Basic Rider Course whose buddy hit the back of a pickup doing ~120. The truck was doing half that. He flew over the truck, landed in front, was run over, and died trapped up in the rear wheel well. It was a sobering story, to say the least.

As for the guy on the crotch rocket... I spent the entire time muttering "oh god oh god oh god" figuring I was going to watch him die. That was terrifying!

Jay G said...

PISSED,

I can't access the video right now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it. The Wing, for all its girth, is a pretty nimble bike (for a 850+ pound touring bike), but I sure wouldn't want to ride it like that!

Chris,

Same here. I was watching half in horror, half in anticipation that we'd see a forced squeeze that stopped him cold...

Andrew,

Man, I'm sorry. That's gotta be the kind of thing you don't easily forget. Those guys - and the hundreds like them every year - are why I don't mind the odds when riding all that much. Most of the accidents are single vehicle (aka rider error), and the vast majority are guys like this squid.

Aaron,

I actually called my son over to watch the video (after I watched it once to make sure it didn't end messily).

notDilbert said...

I suspect the City is Moscow based on the big wide streets. All the other drivers probably assume the rider is either Russian MOB or ex-KGB or current Police---- all pretty nuch one and the same anyway.

Notice there is no reaction by other drivers, no one is suprised or startled to see some biker on the wrong side of the center line traveling at some outrageous speed. Nobody swerves or flashes thier lights.

Anonymous said...

Title screen:

Yamaha R1 - Warsaw Highway
9/15/2010
9:20 AM

A couple of minutes of a biker's life can often be more interesting that the whole life of most people

The place seems to be this:

http://wikimapia.org/4242162/Railroad-overpass-over-the-Varshavskoye-Warsaw-Highway

The language of the title is Russian; most signs seem to be in Russian as well.

Jay G said...

Awesome! Thanks for the translation!

The Packetman said...

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo"

It's the man, not the tool!

Yellow Wolf is known around The Dragon (which is kinda in my backyard), so he knows what he's doing .... no matter what he's riding!