Monday, October 18, 2010

New Leather...

The eagle-eyed reader may have noticed a new holster in the pictures from the Northcoast bloggershoot:

K-Frame FlatJack

That is, as the title implies, a Dragon Leatherworks "Flatjack" holster for the Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver. It's a pancake-style holster, with belt slots on either end cut for up to a 2" belt (worn on a 1 3/4" 5.11 belt). It's sturdy as hell, even holding up to the weight of a mid-sized frame, all steel .357 Magnum revolver.

Like the utilitarian Smith & Wesson Model 13:

With Gun

This is the rig I wore for ~ 7-8 hours at the Northcoast shoot. The gun empty tips the scales at two pounds, 3.4 ounces, a hair less than the Colt 1991A1 and a hair more than the Glock G30 (both in G-d's own pistol caliber of .45 ACP). Even with that heft, the Flatjack carried comfortably and easily all day long.

The model 13 isn't the only K-frame Smith:

With Bigger Gun

That's the Model 19 with 4" barrel. It weighs a little more than the 13, about 3.5 ounces more, and the adjustable sights make it a little tighter fit in the holster. The S&W Magna grips were the inspiration for the color in the leather in the middle, and the insert is stingray. This is a fine BBQ holster; it will behoove me to find some suitable grips for the 13 should I decide to carry it thusly...

This was actually my first "paid" holster - when I first announced that I was selling out taking advertisements on MArooned, Dennis shot me an e-mail inquiring about renting out some ad space. I didn't feel right taking his money, as he's provided me with a good number of simply awesome holsters over the years and we've talked back and forth about different designs and such. So I told him that my fee would be a holster for my model 13 - something special.

I'd say he hit the bullseye with this one.

That is all.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Gorgeous work. Although... the insert design looks suspiciously like the US Army's Marksmanship badge... and I find it particularly ironic that "Minute of berm" JayG should have that on his holster.

Wishful thinking, Jay? ;-)

WV: "crust" JayG's got some crust to wear that design on his holster.

Dragon said...

Wow...being a Navy puke, I never really paid much attention to Army awards, but you do have a point Ross. :-)

All I can say is that the *intention* of the design was an Iron Cross (that particular design is listed as such on my site, on the checkout page where you make the build selections for the holster) and when I see the Army badge on a Google search, it is also an Iron Cross.