Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pocket Revolver Roundup...

Since the roundup of pocket rocket semi-autos seemed to provide some useful information, I figured I'd do the same thing for small framed revolvers. There are almost as many companies putting out small(ish) revolvers as pocket-sized semi-autos, so here's a handy comparison of some of the littlest wheelguns on the market. Same deal as the last one, all specs/pictures etc. come from the manufacturer's website, and the revolvers are presented in alphabetical order according to manufacturer.

Charter Arms Undercover

Undercover

Model: 13811
Finish: Blue
Frame: Stainless steel
Grip: Compact
Barrel length: 2"
Capacity: 5-shot
Caliber: .38 Special +P
Hammer: DAO
Weight: 16 oz.
Sugg Retail: $401.00


Chiappa Rhino

Rhino

ReferenceDescriptionCaliberNo. ShotsBarrel LengthTotal LengthActionWeight
CF340-078 (US)Rhino 200DS.357Mag62" - 5 cm6,5" - 16,4 cmSingle & Double1,54 Lbs - 700 gr


Ruger LCR

LCR

Finish: Blackened Stainless Grips: Hogue® Tamer™
Front Sight: Replaceable, Pinned Ramp Rear Sight: U-Notch Integral
Barrel Material: Stainless Steel Cylinder Finish:
Barrel Length: 1.88" Overall Length: 6.50"
Width: 1.28" Height: 4.50"
Weight: 17.10 oz. Fire Control Housing:
Twist: 1:16" RH Grooves: 6
MA Approved & Certified: No CA Approved: No
Capacity: 5 Suggested Retail: $575.00


Smith & Wesson Model 442

442

$640.00 *

*Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing

  • Model: 442
  • Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
  • Capacity: 5 Rounds
  • Barrel Length: 1.875" / 4.7 cm
  • Front Sight: Integral
  • Rear Sight: Fixed
  • Overall Length: 6.3125" / 16.0 cm
  • Action: Double Action Only
  • Frame Size: Small - Internal Hammer
  • Weight: 15 oz / 425.3 g
  • Grip: Synthetic
  • Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy Frame
    Stainless Steel Cylinder
  • Finish: Matte Black

Taurus 850

850

Model: 850B2
Finish: Blue
Status: Available
Caliber: .38 SPL +P RATED
Grips: Rubber
UPC: 7-25327-34109-3
Capacity: 5
Weight: 23.4 oz
Rate of Twist: 1:16.5"
Barrel Length: 2"
Construction: Steel
Height: 4.28"
Frame: Small
Width: 1.346"
Action: DAO
Front Sight: Fixed
Grooves: 6
Safety: Transfer Bar
Trigger Type: Smooth
Order #: 2-850121CIA
MSRP: $452.00
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grooves Turn: Right



That's about it for current model small-frame revolvers. I've left off the Colt Detective Special and Hi-Standard offerings, given that they haven't been sold in years. There's more diversity in the revolver world when it comes to materials, weights, and dimensions than in polymer semi-autos, and the differences are reflected in the prices and weights. In some cases - like the Smith & Wesson - I included the tried and true hammerless over the new Bodyguard simply for nostalgia's sake. In other cases, I tried to keep it to hammerless, blued/similar wheelguns.

And as in the last round, which is your favorite, and why?

That is all.

Thanks to JP for inspiring this series - there, JP, you got your shout-out!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife has both the S&W 442 and the Charter Undercover. The quality of the Smith reflects in the 50% higher cost. However, for what it's worth, the Charter is more pleasant to shoot. However, that's probably because the Charter has a more comfortable grip then the Smith has stock. It would most likely even out if the grips were changed. Of course, neither is meant to be a target gun, and the Smith grips are just fine for a carry gun, maybe better then the Charter since they are slimmer.

Julie said...

not crying so much this time ... like the semi autos better

Old NFO said...

My 1977 Colt Agent :-)

Butch Cassidy said...

Carry (In Pocket) - S&W Model 36, round butt. Steel frame soaks up recoil, nice trigger for a pocket gun, pretty slim. I want to shoot a model 60 in 357 magnum, and if I can handle it, replace the 36 with it.

Carry (On Belt) - Taurus model 85. The sights are a little wider and easier to pick up than on a j-frame, the trigger is just about as good, it is more comfortable to shoot, and they are cheaper than a Smith to boot. I don't like to pocket carry one because they are just a bit chunkier than a j-frame and print accordingly. My wife likes the 85 better than the j-frame as well.

I am more comfortable with a 158 grain LSWC-HP 38 spec.+P than I am a 380, so the 36 is my usual gun to carry when I can't have my Beretta. The LCP is only a deep concealment piece for me, but I could see where others might prefer a little auto over a small revolver.

Jeremy said...

I LOVE the shrouded hammer J-frames (438, 638). Many people don't like that "camel hump," but the payoff is a revolver that prints less, snags less, and has the added benefit of single or double action. Now if they would only start making the 9mm revolvers again....

Steve in TN said...

I have the SW 642 (stainless version of the 442 shown) and love it. I paid ~$400 for it new so the listed price is a bit much - shop around. There is ZERO reason to settle for a less than quality pocket revolver.

I swapped the stock grips for larger $20 Hogues. Perfect fit for my hand. Go figure, the same style Hogues on my SW 686 feel awful and I went back to Pachmyrs on it.

Anyone looking for a pocket revolver should give a long look at the SW J-frames.

One option missing from your list is the Ruger SP 101. The instructor I use swears by them and carries one as his primary CCW. According to him, the SP 101 and the LCR are totally different weapons.

The SW 642 is my primary carry weapon and I sometimes also carry a SW 49 (another J-frame). Ten shots for sure... Whatever one carries it is important to shoot it. I do. http://sdo1.blogspot.com/2010/09/went-shootin.html

Steve in TN said...

I forgot to add... I had the Colt Agent version of the Detective Special back in the 80's. Got rid of it as soon as I could. Ick.

Richard said...

I've got, and carried, a S&W 642 for about 15 years, and I love the darn thing. The trigger is pretty good, and it is ultra-reliable. At 25 yards, putting lead on target is not a problem.

That said, I really like the LCR also. The LCR has a little better sights and the trigger is smoother than my 642.

Long live the wheel gun!

TOTWTYTR said...

I've had a 442, satin plated finish, since 1993. It carries well, I used to carry it while running. It needs to go back to S&W for a tune up since I don't like the trigger pull. Other than that it's a really nice pocket self defense pistol.

Bubblehead Les. said...

None of the above? I retired all my revolvers to stash guns around the house, and carry a 3rd.Gen Smith in .40 on the streets anymore. Wolf packs have more members nowadays to continue with "6 for Sure". Some places nowadays, I'd rather carry an Uzi!

Hope that doesn't make me a Mall Ninja. "Peace through Superior Firepower!"

Lissa said...

How come the 442 is listed and not the Bodyguard? Is it just 'cause it's less common?

JP56 said...

I am pretty interested in the Rhino. But that is mostly because I like weird guns.