Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Grail Guns"...

I've commented before on a few guns I've called my "grail guns", but it dawned on me that I'd never really defined a "grail gun", nor set forth a list. Both Tam and og have recently listed guns they'd really like to get someday, so I figured I would dovetail a discussion of what makes a "grail gun" with my list of, well, "grail guns"... I'll also list some guns that are on the "WANT" list, but don't fall on the "plan to get any time in the immediate future" category.

So what do I mean by a "grail gun"? Well, as the "grail" part might indicate, it's a gun you need to search for. A Smith & Wesson Model 10 is unlikely to be a grail gun - unless you're looking for the very first Model 10 ever sold to the public, that is. Glocks are right out - even here in the Volksrepublik of MA where they are hard to get, they still don't qualify. A grail gun should engender a search, a quest, an effort - certainly more than just writing a check or forking over cash. A proper grail gun should be really old, really rare, or very limited production - and the "grailness" of the gun increases if more than one applies.

So what are my "grail guns"? Here goes.

Pistols:

Colt Python - 6" barrel, blued
Smith & Wesson model 29 - 8 3/8" barrel, target trigger & hammer
Coonan - 1911-style .357 Magnum
Colt 1903 in .32 ACP
Smith & Wesson model 242ti
COP .357 Magnum
Colt Mustang
Smith & Wesson K22 Masterpiece
Mauser C96 9mm with shoulder stock

Rifles:

Winchester 1887 lever action 12 gauge
SVT-40 - 7.62X54mmR
Hakim - 8mm
Winchester model 1906 - .22LR
Shiloh Sharps Buffalo Rifle - .45/70
Springfield 1903 - .30-06 (God's Own Caliber, Old Testament)
Winchester 1895 - .405 Win
Thompson full auto .45 ACP (WAAAY grail gun, because I'd also have to come up with like $20K...)
Uzi Model A carbine - 9mm

All of the above are rare; most have been out of production for decades. I've been offered first crack at two of the guns on the list, one at a very reasonable price, the other at fair market value - and regret turning both of them down deeply. I came across another gun on the list at a gun show and - in a moment of weakness - walked away to think about whether I should get it, only to have it bought out from under me (that'll teach me to vacillate!). And I even own one of the guns on the last already - however, it was one of the guns my grandfather left me, and I'd rather shoot a hundred year+ old gun with no emotional attachments than one with.

Here are some of the non-grail guns. These are all still somewhat available, but (in most cases) getting more and more rare. There are even a few "stock" guns on this list:

Pistols:

Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum - hey, I'm a recoil whore, what can I say?
Browning Hi-Power Detective - 9mm
Glock 20 - 10mm, so I can be cool like Robb
Remington R1 1911 - .45 ACP
Taurus Judge (KIDDING)

Longarms:

M1 Garand - also in God's Own Caliber, Old Testament
M1 Carbine - .30 Carbine, a decent pistol caliber
K98 Mauser - 8mm
PSL/Dragunov - 7.62X54mmR
Saiga-12

What are your "grail guns" or near-grail guns?

That is all.

17 comments:

ZerCool said...

It's never been a secret. A *correct* "US Property"-marked Ithaca 1911A1.

There are more than a few in channels, but they are not common by any stretch, and finding one that hasn't been buggered in some way, shape, or form is less and less common.

I would trade any - save my heirloom shotgun - of my guns towards one.

Andrew said...

I have the 8-3/8" Model 29. Next time we go shooting, I will bring it.

Anonymous said...

Top break S&W that is decent enough to shoot, yet I can afford to buy. (this is really my wife's grail gun, which means the quest falls on me to buy it for her)

1895 Chilean Mauser
C96 Mauser
1903 Springfield
a Krag-Jørgensen of some type
Type 99 Arisaka - early production (no "last-ditch") complete, unmolested, intact mum.
Hakim (though I certainly wouldnt turn my nose up at a Rasheed instead)
Nazi Luger pistol
and plenty more I'm sure I'm forgetting right now.........

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm more of a mechanical guy than a real-deal collector. Hence my #1 "Grail" (maybe more appropriately a "Bucket Gun") is a 100% custom 1911 where I milled the rails into the slide per an ATF build form and stamped the serial number "WEERD1" (in case I ever get a chance to make a 2nd) into it. Then have a competent 1911 smith build it up to my full specifications (I'd say right now I'd be leaning towards a LOT of color case hardening, and Damascus steel)

But my only collecting bug makes me lust for a Remington M1891 Mosin Nagant. And given how I feel about my Mass-Made Westinghouse M18191, I suspect if another one pops into my feild of view and I have money in my pocket that'll also go into the vault.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I keep my somewhat reasonable grail guns on my tertiary Master List

ASM826 said...

I own just one of the guns on your list. I have an '03 Springfield.

Come south sometime to visit Borepatch and we'll go shoot it along with a Garand.

Stretch said...

A G98 to go with the bayonet my Grandfather Smith brought back from the trenches in 1918.

Veeshir said...

I'm with you on the Thompson full auto.
I have a semi-auto, but I got it until I could come up with the $10k for the full auto.

I was in my favorite gun store once, I was going to order an Uberti Lightning to complete my .45 Colt rifle/pistol comb when I saw an Uzi model A just sitting there on the consignment rack.
It was taunting me. Laughing at me. Impugning my manhood.

It wasn't really a grail gun before, but it became one then and there, I knew if I didn't buy it I would be telling the story 20 years from now about how I missed that Uzi.
So even though it's one of the most expensive guns I own, I love it.

Veeshir said...

I meant to add, my grail gun right now is an FN-49.
My "buddy" bought one out from underneath me (the bastid, he never forgave me for the .44 mag), then I saw another one in really crappy condition for $700.
I really want one of those.

JP said...

For me a grail gun is simply one that is hard to obtain, or one that you may never obtain. Quest welcomed but not required.

Ross said...

Jay, I've had a Cop4; traded it for a 1911 with laser grips - save your pennies. It's fun for a few months but then your hand starts to hurt from firing all that .357 - the recoil pounds the web of your hand.

Oh, wait... you're the guy with the snubby from Hell. Never mind.


My gun lust list (which includes some current production):
Automag II - 4" bbl
Luger (a shooter, not a collectible)
Walther PPK in .22
CZ75BD (to replace my CZ75B - I want the decocker version!)
KelTec PMR30... and since I live in MA, that's going to have to wait until I escape the surly bonds of MA and touch the face of Freedom.)
Remington-Rand 1911

Henry AR7
Saiga 12GA
Rockola M1 carbine
Springfield 1861 (I'll settle for a replica, as I want to shoot it - this is the gun that my g'g'uncle very likely carried in the Civil War.)

Robert said...

My fathers 30.06 that he won at a Leatherneck Magazine (Marines) shooting competition in the late 50's, that I sold back when I was young, broke and stupid.

Mr. Casey said...

The ultra rare Ruger GP100, stainless 5" .357 with the unfluted cylinder and the lug barrel. That's the clincher, that smooth, bad ass looking unfluted cylinder. I think there were maybe 100 made this way.

I'm cheap and easy, I guess!

Butch Cassidy said...

Bone-stock Krag-Jorgenson.

Pre-safety Winchester 1895 in 30-06.

Seecamp LWS380.

Mauser C96.

Long-barreled Luger.

Sig P210.

Remington model 8 with 15 round magazine. I'll settle for a standard capacity, though.

Colt 1903.

LeMat revolver.

S&W model 65 Lady Smith, my mother carried one once upon a time.

Colt and/or S&W 1917.

1903 Springfield & 1917 Enfield.

SMLE with volley sights.

Four-inch barreled Ruger Speed-Six.

Bren gun.

M2 carbine.

Stg. 57.

Strings said...

Wow... I haz several of folks' grails?

anybody that comes out to WI can feel free o shoot 'em (but you can't have 'em)

Inherited a Mustang when mom passed: standard (not plus 2)

Picked up an '87 several years back for cowboy shooting. Barrel has been shortened: needed to be recrowned anyway, so I had them take it down a bit.

Early war Arisaka Type 99. Mine's missing the monopod and dustcover (and bayonet), but she's a solid shooter.

My "grails" I've mostly already gotten: the Automag, and the '87. Really, none of the others on my list are all THAT hard to find/get...

Hans said...

Heh, pikers

Pistol: A low serial number 1911 preferably #100 or under (the first two crates shipped).

Revolver: A Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum with police provenance.

Rifle: A Mondragon

WV: Shucti
I'd better shucti my buns if I ever want to get enough cash for even ONE of those...

phred said...

I see that you have the M1903 listed. Have you though about a Model of 1917?
My FIL had one that he knew nothing about. I gladly researched it for him.
We needed rifles for WWI and it would take too long to tool back up to make more 1903s. Coincidentally, our contract to produce P-14 Enfields for the Brits had just ended. Re-chamber the P-14 in God's Own Caliber, call it the Model of 1917, and issue it to the bulk of our troops.
I am a bit biased towards the model, as I ended up with his :)