Monday, November 15, 2010

Ride Defensively...

California officials seek driver of car that caused crash, killing 5
(CNN) -- California authorities were still looking early Monday for the driver of a car who fled the scene after causing a wreck that left five people dead.

The victims comprised of four motorcyclists and a passenger in another car.

Apparently the line of motorcycles wasn't moving fast enough to suit the homicidal jackass driving the Civic, so he passed them when it was clearly unsafe to do so. Add to that a drunk driver on the other side of the road, and four motorcyclists lose their lives through no fault of their own. One jackass, one drunk, four lives gone. The saddest part is that even if they do manage to catch the guy responsible, most likely it'll get pled down to involuntary manslaughter and he won't serve more than a few months.

This is why you ride like people are actively trying to kill you - because usually that's not far off the mark.

I've been known to ride without my helmet on occassion, and stories like this don't change that decision. A helmet's not going to save you when someone in a cage crosses the double yellow line going 45+. Ditto for running a red light (had that happen) and turning left in front of you (ditto). When you're on two wheels, you have to drive defensively, so defensively you're almost approaching offensively from the back side. People driving cars are clueless at best, malevolent at worst. Four motorcyclists (and the passenger in the other car) lost their lives because of one jerkoff's impatience. Rest in peace, and may the person responsible be haunted for the remainder of his life by his actions.

I hate to Monday morning quarterback, because I wasn't there, so I'll generalize. In a situation like this - where some impatient asshole starts to pass in an unsafe manner, for example - assume that the worst is about to happen. Pull over to the shoulder. Slow down. In the case of the car (SUV actually) that turned left in front of me, I saw her headlights dip slightly, so I could tell she was slowing - it bought me enough time to move to the center of the road and slow down enough that when she turned, I was able to skirt around her with room to spare, rather than getting caught broadside.

Be careful out there, folks, even if you're in the safest car on the market...

That is all.

6 comments:

The Packetman said...

Jay,

As you know, getting out in the wind is worth certain risks, even the irate cager.

In my area, there is a man charged with killing a motoryclist when he fully crossed the centerline while drunk.

We ride because of the freedom we experience. We also know that stupidity will possibly kill us while we ride.

And yet, we continue ... because it's worth it.

Ride safe, brother!

Unknown said...

I always ride like everyone is trying to kill me. This is the first time I've heard some else who feels the same. They are aiming at ya.

PISSED said...

We had the same situation happen about a mile from my shop. It happened this past summer. The guy was charged with DUI the day before and was out driving under the influence when he just turned into the path of a large group of bikers that were out on a charity ride....

It really makes me think and pay attention...

http://www.wmur.com/news/24054132/detail.html

Anonymous said...

I believe the culprit was the driver injured in the vehicle which struck them.
He was drunk.
5 hours later still when cops realized there was no "other" vehicle which he swerved to avoid.
I used to ride.
Sold my last bike two years ago.
Not sure if I'll get another.
After 40 plus years of riding it has been tough.
But the idiots out there today scare the hell out of me!
So I used the money to buy more guns and get my CCW.

Jon said...

ATGATT, I ride like they are out to kill me, and I head straight out of the city as fast as possible. Riding in urban Phoenix is rolling the dice where 5 out of 6 numbers end up with you sliding down the pavement.

It's worth it though.

Skip said...

Used to ride 1/2 mile, mile, TT, and desert scrambles.
Every pro that I rode with, from Cal Rayborn on never rode the street, never.
Scooters are kool, most of my kids have crotch rockets or Hardleys, but the numbers are stacked.
The coupla times I tried to ride to the store a dood would look right through me and pull out.
Frack that.
Getting in the wind, to me, is under the paint and twisted to the stop in the dirt. No Caddies out there.
Maybe I'm a pussy, but I am here.